Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Where to Ski?

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: Where to Ski?

Postby screefieldstevie » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:50 am

You forgot THE SNAKE.............WAY better apres than The Goat
"Cause the Rocky Mountain Way Is better than the way we had" - Joe Walsh

Postby ajkagy » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:56 am

tommyboy360 wrote:CB, Breck or Vail are the best towns in this bunch. I would suggest CB as there are way less d-bags.
I have no opinion on steamboat. I know the mtn well and get a few days in there every year but I don't have much experience with their night life.

for nightlife, CB hands down. Most of the time you'll be drinking right next to locals at the watering holes and everybody is super friendly (you'll feel like a local yourself). Also, whether you stay on the mountain or in town there is a FREE shuttle that runs between the mountain and town every 15 min in the winter, so no need for driving. At a lot of the restaurants/bars you also won't be paying inflated prices like most of the vail/intrawest resorts.

If you decide on CB it's definitely a destination to get away from the superficial ski towns/mountain villages and experience what a real ski town is like. We're a town at the end of the road, no stop lights, no chain stores, no interstate nearby, just a lot of cool people living/working here that have a snow addiction :D
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby rickinco123 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:26 pm

Crested Butte has a special place in my heart but not at all what this guy is looking for. CB would limit his skiiing options at his ability level.

Breck and Vail have the most acherage of green/blue runs that will get you all over both mountains. Both have abundant night life with plenty of places for with 20 something crowds.

Postby prestone818 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:47 pm

I'vE had miserable experiences / luck at the boat. I'd recommend breck for you

Postby snow4rider » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:36 am

If money is not an option go with beaver creek or Vail. All of the Vail corp resorts are around $100 or more for one day. Monarch and crested butte are pretty sweet and Salida or gunnison are really nice. If you like the powder wolf creek is always an option. Just my opinion.

Postby coloradokevin » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:27 am

Jim Davies wrote:Yes! Silverton is both close to Denver and great for novices!

Whatever you do, don't go to Loveland. icky.

I like Loveland.

The Good:

-Easy to get to: I-70 to the Tunnel, no passes to cross, less traffic to contend with. It's the closest of the decent sized areas from Denver (I'm not including Eldora or Echo)
-Easy free parking... walk to lifts, no shuttle
-Decent terrain, decent snow
-No lift lines

The Bad:

-It's like skiing above the arctic circle. That place gets cold!
-The lifts are slow fixed-chair types

But, if I was going to ski one area for 3-4 consecutive days as an out-of-towner, I'd probably pick something bigger. Might as well head to a HUGE resort with lots of terrain to explore!

Postby Jim Davies » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:44 am

Maybe should have put a smily on my Loveland comment; I skied there over 30 days last year and this is the eighth year my whole family has had passes there. But if I were in the OP's position I'd probably stay in Breckenridge (or Frisco) and ride the free busses to ski Breck and Keystone.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Previous