Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Where to Ski?

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Where to Ski?

Postby mts4602 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:37 pm

I am coming back out to coloado to ski with a friend the week after Christmas and we're trying to decide which place to ski/town to stay in.

We are both in our 20s and looking to stay in a town where there would be more people our age as opposed to families. We are also both pretty novice when it comes to skiing.

It would be nice if it was close to Denver but we'll drive wherever if it's worth it. We'll have 3 or 4 days to ski.

Thanks!

Matt

Re: Where to Ski?

Postby dehrlich101 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:47 pm

Breckenridge!

Great beer, awesome slopes, good food, and places to stay.
I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

Support Colorado Search and Rescue - CORSAR Card

LOJ

Postby ajkagy » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:53 pm

breck for easy access from denver and also has the easiest and the most green/blue groomers for novice skiiers. There will also be plenty of people in their 20s there.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby mtngoat » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:56 pm

Well, Crested Butte fits one of your criteria - fewer families but it is not close to Denver or much for novices (not that you wouldn't have a great time). Christmas is going to see a lot of families at mot everyplace off of I-70 (Breck, Kestone, Copper, Vail, Beaver Creek, etc.) Aspen can be a cool scene around Snowmass but gets pricey. Breck is definitely family friendly but you can get away from them in the evenings if you talk to a local. Steamboat can also be very cool but again, it is farther from Denver and unless you find the local spots you'll be knee deep in sweater-clad families.

My top two picks based on your criteria would be Vail or Breck. Both are easy to navigate if you do not want to drive all over the place. Winter Park is another good option but again, lots of families for all of them. Have fun, go out after 8pm and you'll escape most of the families.
-Dave

If your life's work can be completed within your lifetime - you are not thinking big enough.

Postby tommyboy360 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:00 pm

ANYHING BUT BRECK. that place royaly sucks. HUMONGO lines, gapers everywhere, terrain park D-bags, skied out in seconds. SUPER flat on the entire lower half of the mtn. EASILY the worst in Colorado IMO, but immensely popular with people who go no where else outside of Vail Resorts.

My top 3 recommendations: Aspen / Crested Butte / Tellurdide.

Don't ski with the denver choad.
Empty lifts and better snow. Plus it takes way longer to ski out these places.
Great views and great towns.
“It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:07 pm

tommyboy360 wrote:ANYHING BUT BRECK. that place royaly sucks. HUMONGO lines, gapers everywhere, terrain park D-bags, skied out in seconds. SUPER flat on the entire lower half of the mtn. EASILY the worst in Colorado IMO, but immensely popular with people who go no where else outside of Vail Resorts.

I agree - don't ski Breck! Leave it to the locals, please!! :lol:
"There's no recess and no rules in the school of life" - D. Mustaine

Postby tommyboy360 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:19 pm

mtngoat wrote:Aspen can be a cool scene around Snowmass but gets pricey.

I enjoy debating this misconception:
Tickets at the window are more expensive at Breck and Vail. Aspen is a few bucks cheaper.
Let's not even discuss lift lines. Vail Resorts will easily be packed with +15 minute waits, if not more. Their runs will be packed and skied out too.
On mtn food... Yep, better food and cheaper at Aspen Highlands and Snowmass. Go get a burger and a Gatorade at Breck or Key = $20
Parking: Vail charged $25 last season. But the place is pretty much kickass on a powder day. BC, Key and AB are free. Breck has a variety of parking fees before you take a gondi ride that drops you off at the LARGEST lift lines in the state. Parking in aspen is cheaper and there are plenty of ways to get free parking.
Regardless of the season, I find tons of cheap room rates in Aspen, Snowmass, Basalt, Carbondale or Glennwood.

Postby peter303 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:27 pm

better hurry
airfares are turning astronomical for that period
I was just looking

Postby ajkagy » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:29 pm

tommyboy360 wrote:ANYHING BUT BRECK. that place royaly sucks. HUMONGO lines, gapers everywhere, terrain park D-bags, skied out in seconds. SUPER flat on the entire lower half of the mtn. EASILY the worst in Colorado IMO, but immensely popular with people who go no where else outside of Vail Resorts.

all 3 are awesome towns with short or non-existent lift lines even on weekends...but lets face it, all 3 have limited novice terrain options, especially CB. Then again a lot of the advanced terrain may not even be close to opening by Christmas.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby FireOnTheMountain » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:32 pm

Parking: Vail charged $25 last season

Theres free parking at Vail, but don't tell anyone. I made a vow to myself few years ago to not go to Vail on weekends, weekdays on that mountain are extrodinary especially on a pow pow day.

Don't want lines: Silverton on a weekday.
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the CO

Postby tommyboy360 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:38 pm

FireOnTheMountain wrote:Theres free parking at Vail, but don't tell anyone. I made a vow to myself few years ago to not go to Vail on weekends, weekdays on that mountain are extrodinary especially on a pow pow day.

Don't want lines: Silverton on a weekday.

Silverton!

My best free parking option at Vail is only available on Weekends. You need to go early to score it. But that's the point with Vail, it's truly an insider's resort. Go with someone that knows it and you will have pow all day and park/eat/drink at the cheapest price.

Postby Jim Davies » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:28 pm

Yes! Silverton is both close to Denver and great for novices!

Whatever you do, don't go to Loveland. icky.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Next