Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

When does Crested Butte go off?

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

When does Crested Butte go off?

Postby brianjdelehanty » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:51 am

I'm planning on taking a staycation to Crested Butte with a bunch of people. Rent a house, spend 4 or 5 days there kind of thing. When does Crested Butte usually go off? I've never been there but I know when the getting is good it is great and I want to maximize my chance of getting a big storm while i'm there. Early to mid March maybe?

Re: When does Crested Butte go off?

Postby gonzalj » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:55 am

Crested Butte traditionally gets a very good amount of snow and generally by the time the new year passes I would say conditions should be really good. March does usually see very good snow conditions as it is our snowiest month on average, but that doesn't mean that January & February conditions aren't really good either.

Postby ajkagy » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:01 am

If you plan on hitting backcountry it can be really good early in the year, especially up near kebler/anthracites. The resort gets a lot less snow than a lot of the surrounding mountains so you'd be safer to go after the new year. If you want guaranteed coverage/terrain openings go in march. Trying to plan around storms is a crap shoot as you know we could have a week straight of snow or a week straight of just sun.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby brianjdelehanty » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:05 am

Well yeah I know storms are totally random and sometimes predicted storms never materialize but if historically March tends to get more fresh dumps than February I would greatly improve my chances of catching a storm in March. Just looking to improve my odds as best I can.

Postby alsrun » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:53 am

If it gets warm and sunny during late March early April, Patrol starts shutting down some of the extremes due to wet slide danger. I like Feb. and early Mar. for consistency. It's a great mountain...enjoy!