Forum
Your purchase of a synthetic or cotton shirt helps support 14ers.com. Thank you!

Other ways to help...

When does Crested Butte go off?

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

When does Crested Butte go off?

Postby brianjdelehanty » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:51 am

I'm planning on taking a staycation to Crested Butte with a bunch of people. Rent a house, spend 4 or 5 days there kind of thing. When does Crested Butte usually go off? I've never been there but I know when the getting is good it is great and I want to maximize my chance of getting a big storm while i'm there. Early to mid March maybe?

Re: When does Crested Butte go off?

Postby gonzalj » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:55 am

Crested Butte traditionally gets a very good amount of snow and generally by the time the new year passes I would say conditions should be really good. March does usually see very good snow conditions as it is our snowiest month on average, but that doesn't mean that January & February conditions aren't really good either.

Postby ajkagy » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:01 am

If you plan on hitting backcountry it can be really good early in the year, especially up near kebler/anthracites. The resort gets a lot less snow than a lot of the surrounding mountains so you'd be safer to go after the new year. If you want guaranteed coverage/terrain openings go in march. Trying to plan around storms is a crap shoot as you know we could have a week straight of snow or a week straight of just sun.

Postby brianjdelehanty » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:05 am

Well yeah I know storms are totally random and sometimes predicted storms never materialize but if historically March tends to get more fresh dumps than February I would greatly improve my chances of catching a storm in March. Just looking to improve my odds as best I can.

Postby alsrun » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:53 am

If it gets warm and sunny during late March early April, Patrol starts shutting down some of the extremes due to wet slide danger. I like Feb. and early Mar. for consistency. It's a great mountain...enjoy!