Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Best resort for a plethora of STEEP groomers

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: Best resort for a plethora of STEEP groomers

Postby mountaingoat-G » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:52 am

Seems the "close to Denver" part of the original post is getting a bit lost ..

But, I have to agree on the Copper Mountain Ski Nazis. They give you the evil eye as you come down if you are not snowplowing. Worst of any area I've been to. They are pretty densly spaced on the runs, too. They always stand across the slope looking uphill sternly at people coming down.

It's been a while since I've gone there, but I remember Peak 10 at Breckenridge maybe being a good fit for this request. Also, if they groom the stuff on the left side of Loveland, than that might fit the bill, too. Also, a far easier drive than Copper. It's the I-70 Eisenhower Tunnel traffic I'm referring to. Loveland avoids that.

Postby roguejackalope » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:48 am

mountaingoat-G wrote:But, I have to agree on the Copper Mountain Ski Nazis. They give you the evil eye as you come down if you are not snowplowing. Worst of any area I've been to. They are pretty densly spaced on the runs, too. They always stand across the slope looking uphill sternly at people coming down.

They are quite good about keeping people slow, but only in Family and Slow Zones, which are clearly marked on their trail map. This includes only Rhapsody, Main Vein, a handful of green runs, and some areas where trails converge near the bottom. Plenty and more of other runs to give the man the bird and open it up.
"Hiking is just walking where it's okay to pee" - Demetri Martin

Postby DeucesWild » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:24 pm

Groomers - d. 1. places where you take dogs when they get manky. 2. A perfect waste of a good ski run.

Deuce has spoken.
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

www.deuceIRA.com. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!

Postby Chicago Transplant » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:55 pm

Birds of Prey at Beaver Creek is probably the best steep groomer in my opinion. It can get icy though, especially towards the top where it is steepest. This is because they basically hose it down for the World Cup in early December so the base is always frozen. I prefer it later in the season when it gets a little softer. There are usually a few other groomed black diamonds on the resort, President Ford's and Centennial are probably groomed several times a week, sometimes half of Ripsaw is groomed and with the new high speed they put in at Rose Bowl it may happen more frequently now.

At Vail Blue Ox is usually groomed, so is Riva Ridge and they (much to my dismay!) usually groom something off each chair in the back bowls but they all flatten out at the bottom. Breck's Peak 10 usually has had most of the runs groomed when I have been there, well from what I can see from the chair anyway, I usually ski off into The Burn or Corsair.

You specifically mentioned Copper in your original post and when I have skied there I have found a few groomers off the Resolution Chair where it is uncrowded and probably not as heavily patrolled for speed as it seems the other parts of the resort are. Rosi's Run under the Super Bee has been groomed when I have been there as well, made a nice ending to the day to zip back down that to the car.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Previous