Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Best resort for a plethora of STEEP groomers

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: Best resort for a plethora of STEEP groomers

Postby Cruiser » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:02 am

Copper ought to be a good starting place for you. It's cheap with a 4pk. It's fairly close to Denver. And it has a good bit of varied terrain including some good steep groomers. Head over to the Super Bee and hit Andy's Encore down to Rosie's Run a few times.

Just remember that patrol won't usually let you really open it up on the blues in the early part of the season due to congestion. Once the whole mountain is open it seems like the get a bit more lenient with the "slow zones". But you'll get your pass yanked if you bomb through a "slow zone" while patrol is monitoring it.
Where ever you are... There you are.

Postby fleetmack » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:36 am

Beaver Creek - Birds of Prey run is great; Bachelor's Gulch is always groomed and never has a crowd (though not overly steep), Cinch lift from top all the way down to Centennial is quite the long run also... not as steep as BOP, but it's still a fun run with some black stretches in there

Keystone has some long groomers on the front. They aren't overly steep, but are very long. If you stick to the outback from 9am-11am (shorter runs than front side, but fun, nonetheless), then the Decrum (Frenchman, Jacksaw, Spring Dipper) from about 1pm-3pm you will rarely have a line (despite what the haters will say, I can easily get 35-40K of vertical in a day there with virtually no lines). Avoid Mozart at all times, always busy, always icy, never fun. The west side of the front is usually too busy as well.

Breck Peak 10 is quite steep and groomed, but the lines get a bit crazy around 11am, so get your runs in early, there. Avoid Peak 7, it blows. LONG lines, and the "blue" runs are tame even by green standards. If there's any powder at all and you're on a board, don't plan on getting any speed at all.

Steamboat will please you at all costs, but since you said "close to denver" that doesn't really work.

Never been to Winter Park/MJ, Copper is pretty good but the runs weren't very long from what I remember (haven't been there for 5 years or so). Silverton rules, but far. Vail blows on all fronts. A-Basin has great steep groomers, but they aren't very long. I've heard Loveland is great, never been there, but may try it out this year. Ski Cooper is surprisingly decent and un-busy if you're on a budget and don't like lines; not a lot of variety, but good to go to when you have out-of-towners visiting so they can have fun without breaking the bank.

Of course - if you want LONG, STEEP runs, just go to Zermatt :) How does an 8 mile run with 7500 vertical sound :) My avatar is taken mid-run on that run
Last edited by fleetmack on Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor

Postby prestone818 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:41 am

im going to disagree with copper mountain. they have ski patrol nazis that give you s**t if you are doing more than 15 mph. on the super bee side most of the blue groomers have fairly significant drop offs along the run, so unless you plan on doing a mute grab over a small group of snowboarders that are hanging out in the middle of the run just below the drop, i would suggest against it. american flyer has pretty much all greens, its too flat to bomb with an adrenaline rush- more like coasting. not to mention the ski patrol nazis. american eagle would probably be the better one to do, groomed blues for the most part, just be careful as you near the bottom, a couple runs collide into a tight spot.

me personally, i think the best bomber i have done without crazy traffic or people hanging out on the run would be chopstix/poppyfields in the china bowl at vail. though poppyfields gets busy towards the bottom as everyone is heading to blue sky or back to the top of the china bowl. my favorite steep anywhere would be ellies at heavenly, long steep black, sick view. though im not sure i would bomb it, im not jeremy nobis or anything.

keystone has some fairly long groomed bombers, significant traffic on the weekend

Postby fleetmack » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:49 am

prestone818 wrote: my favorite steep anywhere would be ellies at heavenly, long steep black, sick view. though im not sure i would bomb it, im not jeremy nobis or anything.

That's a good one, as is everything on that end of Heavenly... but the runs were just too short for my taste. If I go back to Tahoe I need to check out Squaw or Northstar next time, Heavenly was too Vail-like for me (WAY too many catwalks) and the runs were shorter than anything I've done in Colorado.
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor

Postby highpilgrim » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:20 am

If you don't mind travelling, the Banff area is awesome. Timberline is much lower in Alberta which presents a lot more mountain for those serious cruising runs. And they groom a lot of them. Add to that the relatively small crowds and no lift lines and you get some great terrain to really banzai on.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Postby geojed » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:39 am

Thanks for all of the great advice and enlightening discussion!
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

Postby prestone818 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:03 am

fleetmack wrote:
prestone818 wrote: my favorite steep anywhere would be ellies at heavenly, long steep black, sick view. though im not sure i would bomb it, im not jeremy nobis or anything.

That's a good one, as is everything on that end of Heavenly... but the runs were just too short for my taste. If I go back to Tahoe I need to check out Squaw or Northstar next time, Heavenly was too Vail-like for me (WAY too many catwalks) and the runs were shorter than anything I've done in Colorado.

heavenly is alright. wouldnt be my first pick for a destination trip. way too much poling around. it does have an incredible view though. ive always heard awesome things about kirkwood, think i am going to check that out next along with a day at northstar since its on the epic pass. if you go back you should check out snowmobiling in zephyr cove, awesome experience!

Postby tjerasdave » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:14 am

Although it is a bit of a trek from where you're at, if you're ever in the area, I would recommend Taos in New Mexico. I believe it is rated at the second steepest ski resort in the US (behind Jackson Hole), although I read that several years ago so the info could be out of date.

Postby Carl » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:15 am

Timmy wrote:I'm not sure why Rogue Jackalope said" "Besides, who'd want to go there, it's terrible" because WP/MJ generally has some of the best snow of all the areas near Denver (if not in Colorado) and is huge.

Timmy wrote:Yeah, I don't ski or ride groomers either which is why I'm even more confused that you said "who'd want to go there, it's terrible." :

It was obviously a joke.

Postby lordhelmut » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:36 am

tjerasdave wrote:Although it is a bit of a trek from where you're at, if you're ever in the area, I would recommend Taos in New Mexico. I believe it is rated at the second steepest ski resort in the US (behind Jackson Hole), although I read that several years ago so the info could be out of date.

Goodluck trying to find a groomer there.

Postby runnerofmountain » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:47 am

I'm surprised no one has said anything about eldora. Lots of groomers, close to Denver, cheap, no lift lines and no I-70. Not the best snow in Colorado, but your looking for groomers so the snow quality there should be good enough for you...

Postby tjerasdave » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:49 am

lordhelmut wrote:
tjerasdave wrote:Although it is a bit of a trek from where you're at, if you're ever in the area, I would recommend Taos in New Mexico. I believe it is rated at the second steepest ski resort in the US (behind Jackson Hole), although I read that several years ago so the info could be out of date.

Goodluck trying to find a groomer there.

True, Taos isn't exactly known for its grooming. Still some excellent terrain though.

PreviousNext