Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Best resort for a plethora of STEEP groomers

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Best resort for a plethora of STEEP groomers

Postby geojed » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:24 pm

I just recenlty moved to the Denver area and I am looking at getting some advice which ski resorts offer the best steep but groomed runs? I've skied Snowbird the last several Christmases and love the top to bottom "Primrose Path" VERY steep but usually groomed. My brother and I would bomb it all the way down and ride the lift back up and it would only take us ~15mins to do 2400ft elev gain/loss. We would do a lot of runs in the Mineral Basin area too.

A plus would be closeness to Denver. I am looking at getting some 4-pack tickets to Loveland or Winter Park or Copper and would like any advice.

Cheers,

Jed
Last edited by geojed on Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

Re: Best resort for a plethora of STEEP groomers

Postby climbing_rob » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:56 pm

Just remember two words: Mary Jane. Lots of decently steep runs with one side groomed, the other left as moguls. Next on my list for bomb-runs is probably Copper.

Postby ajkagy » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:20 pm

beaver creek would be a good choice, plenty of groomers there and the birds of prey run is probably one of the steepest groomed runs in colorado.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby Jim Davies » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:36 pm

A-Basin has some nice steep groomers, and small hills have their advantages IMO. Peak 10 at Breckenridge is pretty good for steep bombers also, as are a couple of blue-black runs on Peak 8.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby lordhelmut » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:57 pm

I second Copper. Super Bee lift offers about 22 to 2400 feet of solid groomers (American Eagle offers a little less and more crowds, but still very solid groomer ops). I also second Beaver Creek and the Birds of Prey.

Postby roguejackalope » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:58 pm

climbing_rob wrote:Just remember two words: Mary Jane. Lots of decently steep runs with one side groomed, the other left as moguls.

I'm going to disagree. MJ and Winter Park have a few steep runs that are groomed, but they are only here and there. I would not describe it as a "plethora". Besides, who'd want to go there, it's terrible?

Breck has some steep groomers, but they are often short or run out at the bottom. A-basin has a lot of steep groomed terrain, and Loveland has a few and is close. Beaver Creek would be a good option. They have some steep groomers although the Birds of Prey is one run and gets overskied. Vail has tons of groomed runs too (but who goes there for that?).

I think one of the best bets for steep groomers is Copper. Lots of runs off the Super Bee side are always or often groomed, and the rest of the mountain ain't bad either.
"Hiking is just walking where it's okay to pee" - Demetri Martin

Postby Timmy » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:06 pm

Here's my ordered list which I compiled based on steepness and amount & length of trails.

Beaver Creek - has the best steep and groomed run in Colorado (IMHO) which is Birds of Prey. Also checkout Arrowhead for long flat groomed runs.
    Aspen has long groomers EVERYWHERE!!!
    Vail has great long and steep groomed runs but it's a big mountain and takes time to learn the mountain.
    Steamboat has long groomers scattered all over the front side.
    Keystone has long groomers scattered all over but mostly in the front
    Breckenridge (AKA: Colorado's Beginner Mountain) has lots of long groomers but not generally steep.
    Copper Mountain has groomers if you hang in the center or skiers right on the front-side.
Last edited by Timmy on Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(RAH)² (AH)³ + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA)² + (OOH)(LA)²

Postby Timmy » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:21 pm

By the way, I omitted A-Basin, Winter Park & Mary Jane and Loveland because:

A-Basin and Loveland don't have a "plethora" of runs or the runs are short (IMHO) and MJ is known for ungroomed but steep runs. Although, the MJ run is steep and groomed as Climbing Rob did describe accurately. I'm not sure why Rogue Jackalope said" "Besides, who'd want to go there, it's terrible" because WP/MJ generally has some of the best snow of all the areas near Denver (if not in Colorado) and is huge. On powder days you can get fresh tracks for hours with no lift lines. Wait, why am I telling you my secret! It also has a very non-summit county vibe.

For smaller areas head to Ski Sunlight.

Lastly, if you get an Aspen pass you can also checkout Aspen Highlands and Snowmass. Snowmass is huge but tons of fun stuff all over the mountain.

Postby roguejackalope » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:28 pm

Timmy wrote:I'm not sure why Rogue Jackalope said" "Besides, who'd want to go there, it's terrible"

It was pinkified.

But I don't really care if geojed goes there or not. If he is skiing groomers we will not run into each other. :twisted: However, I stand by my statement that WP/MJ has a few steep groomers but really not that many, compared to other places, like Copper.

And I left out Steamboat and Aspen area resorts because homey said he was looking for "closeness to Denver". Keystone is a good call though.
"Hiking is just walking where it's okay to pee" - Demetri Martin

Postby Timmy » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:50 pm

roguejackalope wrote:I don't really care if geojed goes there or not. If he is skiing groomers we will not run into each other.

Yeah, I don't ski or ride groomers either which is why I'm even more confused that you said "who'd want to go there, it's terrible." Not that I care, if you can't appreciate short lift lines, great snow and wicked bumps; we will not run into each other either. wink:
Last edited by Timmy on Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby mountaingoat-G » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:50 pm

The groomers at WP/MJ are not really that steep, though. The Mary Jane run is usually groomed, but not super steep- it can be a very fun run, though. Hughes on the Winter park side is a good steeper grromer, but they have it closed off half the time for ski races/practice. :-x

Aspen= not close to Denver.

Postby tommyboy360 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:13 pm

Aspen (Ajax). Steep from top to bottom. Over 3000 vert and 9 minute gondi ride. Never crowded. A few chokes as the mountain narrows. I've also been there on days after they've winched a cat to groom double diamond runs like Walsh's. The key to aspen is steep from top to bottom. Perfect grooming. And no crowds. Keystone or Breck being thrown into this discussion is a big laugher. ICE, CATWALKS and PIZZA PIES. A bad combo. Besides, Breck is the frickin' most overcrowded and flat ridden resort I've skied in Colorado. A complete joke given it's popularity and pricing.

Aspen Highlands. Another long steep descent. More complicated terrain than Aspen proper. But it's also home to the premier steeps of Apsen if you hike the bowl but that's all ABG: Anything But Groomers.

Beaver Creek. Yes, golden eagle is double diamond steep and usually groomed but it is a sheet of ice, a racer's dream. Have your edges tuned razor sharp. All the surrounding runs are completely bumped. Takes multiple bus stops, escalators and then 2 lift rides to actually ski golden eagle from the top. but you get a cookie at the end of the day and get a chance to ski the premier worldcup downhill course in the US. A must ski if you're looking for steep groomers in Colorado.

Crested Butte. Plenty of steep groomers because EVERYTHING is steep. Check out paradise bowl. You can not have a discussion of any types of steeps in Colorado and not give mention to CB.

Copper Super Bee is a good call too. Not my initial thought but can't debate it. The front side of WP proper is also steep and regularly groomed. A training ground for US racers.

You can't leave Loveland out of the best steeps in sumco discussion.... But please, stay away and go to breck. Loveland's ridge is all annoying deep powder which never gets skied out, bumped out or groomed. The lifts are slow too and you can't post your epic lift wait time online.
“It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Next