Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Ski Maintenance for Beer

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: Ski Maintenance for Beer

Postby tommyboy360 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:45 am

fleetmack wrote:
5) Baby your gear. No clamp style roof racks.

I've never heard this before. Not arguing it at all, but don't understand. Can you explain what this does?

This analogy just hit me. Exposing your gear to i-70 is like the MAYHEM guy on top of your vehicle and messin' with your gear.
Allstate-Mayhem.jpg
Allstate-Mayhem.jpg (21.67 KiB) Viewed 746 times
“It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Postby Kruck » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:54 am

I thought this was going to be a thread on what is the appropriate amount/quality of beer to bring your tech.
I go a sixer of PBR for grinds, a sixer of fancy bottles for mounts.
My work always seems to be done well and ahead of schedule. Maybe I'm just lucky? :mrgreen:
Sausage, mushroom, and green pepper

Postby COBuckeye » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:59 pm

nkan02 wrote:Maybe we could put a group together to go up Sherman sometime in November?

I would certainly be game for that, assuming Sherman has enough snow to ski. Otherwise, Berthoud is always a soild option (great snow, safe slopes, easy access, ect.).
"...cause I got changed by what I've been shown, more glory than the world has known, keeps me ramblin' on..." - Josh Garrels (Farther Along)

Postby BenfromtheEast » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:01 pm

lordhelmut wrote:How is your edging ability and where do you live?

REI and ski tuning are two entities that don't go well together.

First of all, I love REI garage sales. And their customer service is awesome. But I took my old race skis into REI last fall for a stone grind to get them back in shape...Their grinder broke down so I ended up with just a basic sharpen and wax. IMO the sharpen wasn't good enough. Maybe I just caught them on a bad day. I got a good grind from Christy's Englewood on a used pair I picked up half way through winter. I'd go back there. And yes, a stone grind is a great idea to start with and then maintain them at home from there. The appropriate frequency will obviously depend on a lot of factors, but once every year or two should be a good ballpark.

As for edging, my file guide will give you 89 degrees (Is that a one degree bevel?). I have a couple files of varying courseness, and a diamond file to finish if we really want to get pretty. I raced in high school, so I tuned two pairs a week for about 8 weeks every winter. Maybe it was my edging ability that kept me out of states, but we'd be talking about edging on the hill. :wink: And I live in the Lowry area of Denver, roughly Quebec and 1st.

Postby Hypersnow » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:02 pm

Kruck wrote:I thought this was going to be a thread on what is the appropriate amount/quality of beer to bring your tech.
My work always seems to be done well and ahead of schedule. Maybe I'm just lucky? :mrgreen:

Up here in Aspen, we get at least a case for grinds and/or mounts :D

Postby fiveminutelifetime » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:36 pm

fleetmack wrote:
5) Baby your gear. No clamp style roof racks.

I've never heard this before. Not arguing it at all, but don't understand. Can you explain what this does?

Road salt (MgCl) is pretty corrosive to your gear in general, and particularly dangerous when it gets inside ski bindings.

Postby fiveminutelifetime » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:39 pm

Kruck wrote:I thought this was going to be a thread on what is the appropriate amount/quality of beer to bring your tech.

I'd take a sixer of whatever for a quick base and edge, but a mount, well, that's a 12er right there. And it's a case if it's AT or a paper jig mount.

Postby Kruck » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:04 am

Wow. Looks like I'm a cheapskate.
If I had enough $$$ to live big-time style in Aspen, I'd have a garage full of indentured techs and sled mechanics, and there's be a cold keg in the shop for all to abuse. :D
Sausage, mushroom, and green pepper

Previous