Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Mt. Bethel near Loveland Pass

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Mt. Bethel near Loveland Pass

Postby tuan » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:25 pm

Has anyone here skied Mt. Bethel near Loveland Pass? I have been scoping it for years and would like to plan a descent of it for this winter. I am trying to figure out the easiest route to hike up in snow. Thanks for any data.

-Benton

Re: Mt. Bethel near Loveland Pass

Postby tommyboy360 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:06 am

Nice post and goal. I've eyed that peak for years from Loveland and i-70. It's incredibly windblown with major avy concerns on the leeward side with results that could bury i-70 west bound. I've seen no lines in all my winters/springs here in Denver and I go out a bunch of days at Loveland and make that drive nearly every weekend in the snow season.

Any pick in line/aspect? Curious to the know the deets of what you're thinking.
“It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Postby tommyboy360 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:46 am

This was big news last season for BC skiers near loveland pass. A fatal rip of the early season snowpack on the south side of Bethel.

http://avalanche.state.co.us/acc/acc_report.php?acc_id=225&accfm=inv
“It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Postby milan » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:25 am

Well, I hiked it in August and there is a nice access if you go about 2 miles on Hermann trail (east of Bethel) then a large avalanche chute opens to your left which goes to a saddle and from that saddle, just turn left onto summit. However, it is an avalanche chute so, I guess the avalanche danger is high there about now. I was also looking from the summit and the false summit above I-70 if there are other ways to climb it and I think that the slope around the snow fences (from the west, there is another trail underneath) is doable and in snow the avalanche danger would be far lower on that slope than in any of those chutes. The side toward I-70 is also IMO avalanche dangerous. Keep in mind, I did not see how the snow is there now, I just guess based on a summer trip.

Postby RJansen77 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:48 am

I skied Bethel last spring, I think it was the last weekend in May. I drove up 70 west past the Herman Gulch trail to the Loveland Pass exit, and drove maybe a quarter mile down the dirt road the parallels 70 WB until there was a gate. From there I hiked up into the basin and then up the west face of Bethel. It was a fun ski above treeline and the trees on the west side are thin enough you can weave right through them without much planning. Skied all the way to the car which was nice. PM me if you have any questions, I can send you photos later today when I'm home from work.
"But it doesn't matter if your in Valdez skiing out of a helicopter, or putzing around on a flat hill somewhere in Iowa. That adrenaline rush comes when you satisfy your most basic instinct, your own search for freedom."

-Warren Miller

I almost always wear a bathing suit when I climb. If you see me say hey!

Postby ajkagy » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:09 am

mt. bethel has really nice north facing trees, just follow the herman gulch trail up a bit and then veer west up along the east ridge through the trees. Sometimes there is a skin track there so it's easier to follow.

If you have a loveland pass it makes skiing the mountain just to the southwest (mt. trelease) really easy to do laps on. Pretty much all aspects are skiied on this mountain and I feel has better trees than bethel.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.