Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Avy 1 Classes

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Avy 1 Classes

Postby Don Eberl » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:26 am

I am looking at taking an Avy 1 class through the Colorado Mountain School in RMNP. Has anyone taken a course through CMS that can provide some feedback or have any other recommendations as it relates to quality and or cost?

Appreciate any feedback.
Some of it's majic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way.

Jimmy Buffett

Re: Avy 1 Classes

Postby George James » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:12 pm

I can't offer any feedback for the CMS courses (I'm sure they're great), but I can give you another option in our area to compare to that you might be interested in. Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions that you think I might be able to help out with.

Cheers,

George
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack
~ The Baron Von Bergschrund

Postby bergsteigen » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:16 pm

My company uses CMS in RMNP for our required Avy training. We had some fairly specific needs for our group, and they tailored the information for us. I found it to be a fairly high quality course, as compared to the one I took in Alaska. I can't speak to cost, as I didn't have to pay.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Postby mtnfiend » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:56 pm

Eldora ski patrol offers an excellent level 1 course at a competitive price.

If you're looking for similar content without the time or $$ commitment of a level 1, Friends of Berthoud Pass provides some excellent training.
Didn't I ever tell you.....Bumble's bounce!!!

Postby SurfNTurf » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:48 pm

mtnfiend wrote:Eldora ski patrol offers an excellent level 1 course at a competitive price.

If you're looking for similar content without the time or $$ commitment of a level 1, Friends of Berthoud Pass provides some excellent training.

The free Friends of Berthoud Pass seminars start next week, with the snow days scheduled for Feb. 18-19. If anyone's going to the lecture at DU on Tuesday, I'll see you there.

http://berthoudpass.org/what-we-do/classes/
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby ChrisFol » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:05 pm

SurfNTurf wrote:
mtnfiend wrote:Eldora ski patrol offers an excellent level 1 course at a competitive price.

The free Friends of Berthoud Pass seminars start next week, with the snow days scheduled for Feb. 18-19. If anyone's going to the lecture at DU on Tuesday, I'll see you there.

http://berthoudpass.org/what-we-do/classes/

I plan to be there-- also pretty happy that DU is just right around the corner from my house :D
-Chris

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:22 pm

ChrisFol wrote:I plan to be there-- also pretty happy that DU is just right around the corner from my house :D

:-k ...sometimes I think about moving to Denver...

Hey, anyone know of an avy 1 course in Colorado Springs? Or at least the lecture portion? Thx!

Postby ChrisFol » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:28 pm

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:
ChrisFol wrote:I plan to be there-- also pretty happy that DU is just right around the corner from my house :D

:-k ...sometimes I think about moving to Denver...

Hey, anyone know of an avy 1 course in Colorado Springs? Or at least the lecture portion? Thx!

How about the REI down in the Springs? There is one on December 15th.

http://www.rei.com/stores/68
-Chris

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:35 pm

Chris, I'm thinking that's just an informative intro to avy, not the avy level 1 course.

Hey, just called them. Yeah, an intro to avy only. :(

Thanks for checking, though.

Postby ChrisFol » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:38 pm

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:Chris, I'm thinking that's just an informative intro to avy, not the avy level 1 course.

Hey, just called them. Yeah, an intro to avy only. :(

Thanks for checking, though.

Are you looking for an actual AIARE Level 1 class? If so then Pikes Peak Alpine School offer one:

http://www.pikespeakalpineschool.com/
-Chris

Postby shaunster_co » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:54 pm

I did the Avy 1 through CMS last December with a few other 14ers members; (Mountainwoman, Javier, etc). I do not have enough good things to say about the course. I had done level one several years ago and decided to repeat it since all the fundamentals and equipment had changed over the years.

The instructors & venue, top notch. I'm sure there are others that are well done too - but I can vouch for CMS and plan to take the Avy 2 with them.

Postby JDgreen » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:36 pm

I took level one from CMS in February and would echo Shaunsters comments. They put on a well done comprehensive class with both classroom and in field training in beautiful RMNP.
The world is a changin' and the West is only as wild as we can make it!

Next