Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Place to stay in Avon during ski season?

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Place to stay in Avon during ski season?

Postby RJansen77 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:18 am

Hi all,

The dad is flying out in February from CT for a 4 day weekend to ski, and we're looking to stay somewhere in Avon so we can access Vail and Beaver Creek. It doesn't need to be anything fancy, just a spot where two people can crash after a day beating themselves up in the pow. Does anyone have any suggestions for places to look into?

I'll be looking online for sure, but I figured the 14ers community would also have some good advice. Thanks so much!
"But it doesn't matter if your in Valdez skiing out of a helicopter, or putzing around on a flat hill somewhere in Iowa. That adrenaline rush comes when you satisfy your most basic instinct, your own search for freedom."

-Warren Miller

I almost always wear a bathing suit when I climb. If you see me say hey!

Re: Place to stay in Avon during ski season?

Postby Bean » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:32 am

Walmart allows car camping in their parking lots.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby gonzalj » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:40 am

I've stayed at the comfort inn in avon and it's conveniently located, priced fairly decent for Avon/BC/Vail standards and has a hot tub as well (which is obviously nice for after a ski day). Nothing fancy, but just might fit the bill.

Postby lordhelmut » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:46 am

Bean wrote:Walmart allows car camping in their parking lots.

Actually, this is very useful information when trying to find free camping around Sandy, Utah.

Try the Comfort Inn right in Avon (last time was 110$/night, absurd for a Comfort Inn, but this is Avon I guess).

Best Western in Frisco is always a safe option as well, just a tad further away.

Whatever you do, DO NOT stay at the ROOST LODGE in Vail. That place is a complete dump. 6 of us crammed in a room over New Years of 2009. I found pubic hair under my pillow and the foam floating in the hot tub I couldn't erase from my memory soon enough. I wouldn't wish that kind of hospitality on my worst enemy.

p.s. Chicago Transplant and JBChalk both live in Eagle County, might want to PM either of them. Mike is a walking wikipedia, he might also be able to give you the exact elevations of all Choice Hotels in the region, their latitude and longitude and how many quad points the conceirge has summited in Mesa County.

Postby peter303 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:52 am

Minturn is a nearby town with hotels too.

You want to stay in Vail or further west for skiing. There place to the east like Copper, Summit County, etc.
But the I-70 Vail Pass is one of the nastiest places in Colorado during a snowstorm.

Postby Chicago Transplant » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:00 am

lordhelmut wrote:p.s. Chicago Transplant and JBChalk both live in Eagle County, might want to PM either of them. Mike is a walking wikipedia, he might also be able to give you the exact elevations of all Choice Hotels in the region, their latitude and longitude and how many quad points the conceirge has summited in Mesa County.

Unfortunately the local hotels are my "weak point" on knowledge. I know where they are, but I have no idea about rates. I guess my excuse is that I live here so I never stay in them...

Comfort Inn is probably the least expensive option in town (aside from Wal-Mart's parking lot). I don't think Christie Lodge is that bad either, they have kitchens which can be nice, but it will be more than the Comfort Inn.

Not sure what their rates are, but there a couple of "chain hotels" at the Eagle exit, 20 minutes to BC, 30 minutes to Vail. Might be worth looking into to see what the savings might be. I would guess you could save 20-25% there vs Avon. I can't think of what is in Minturn and the only one I can think of in Edwards is the Inn and Suites at Riverwalk, they have condos that are pricey but I think their standard guest rooms are more fairly priced.

February probably won't be cheap in town, especially if you come President's Weekend. That weekend is probably #2 behind Christmas Week in terms of out of town visitors, so there is going to be a premium to the rates - even at Comfort Inn. Mid-January or after Spring Break would probably have better rates. Make sure when you are checking rates you specify the dates you are coming, our rates vary widely depending on the dates, right now is probably the cheapest time so if you get their rate for today you will be in for a big surprise in February.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Postby jbchalk » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:47 pm

RJansen77,

It may not be what you and your pops are looking for, but I live in Edwards (4 miles west of BC & Avon, 2 miles from Arrowhead) and be willing to charge you guys a pretty cheap price for staying in my guest bedroom/bath for a few nights if really all you are looking for is a place to crash. Only have a queen bed in the guest bedroom, but have some sleeper sofas too. PM me if that is of interest.

Thanks,
Brandon

Postby RJansen77 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:22 pm

Wow, thanks a bunch for the replies everyone. Will have to spend some time looking around to see what looks best.

Brandon, thanks so much for the offer on the guest bedroom / bath. I think we're going to try and find a hotel or ski-type lodge, but I really appreciate your generosity in offering up your place. Also, a very belated yet still deserved congrats on the Everest summit, that is one of the most amazing accomplishments I can think of, in mountaineering or anything else. Loved the trip report!

Robert
"But it doesn't matter if your in Valdez skiing out of a helicopter, or putzing around on a flat hill somewhere in Iowa. That adrenaline rush comes when you satisfy your most basic instinct, your own search for freedom."

-Warren Miller

I almost always wear a bathing suit when I climb. If you see me say hey!

Postby jbchalk » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:02 pm

Robert, thanks for your comments! Glad to hear you enjoyed the TR. I'm sure you guys will find something around town for your ski trip. Have a great time with your dad!

Brandon