Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

14er ski resort equivalent?

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: 14er ski resort equivalent?

Postby Neil » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:48 pm

tommyboy360 wrote:And Little Cottonwood Canyon gets the best snow in terms of quantity and quality in the lower 48. Brighton, Alta, Snowbird... The best POWDER lift served ski areas in the lower 48 states. PERIOD.

FACT also. And I say this as a CO native, but you can't run from the truth. You guys just keep preachin' and I'll keep givin' you the AMENS!
"On the edge of the porch in the warm evening night
Throwing the bone for the dog I see two passing lights
Well, I wonder where that driver's bound
Is there someone, somewhere, someway out there that I've not found"
-Driving Song

Postby tommyboy360 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:07 pm

This is the TOP of my hit list...

Silverton guides have been toying and playing with this idea for years. Nice to see it happen. Opens this YEAR!
Guided heli trips in AK. Only in the month of April when the weather and snow is perfect.

If you go...
Have the right group. Even worse if you decide to meet up randomly with CEO's and other rich elite that have to prove themselves with safaris, Himalayan trips or AK heli trips.

Get the right team and save up. Commandeer the chopper. You will go only as far, steep and as fast as the SLOWEST member in your group. This is the best trip idea for powder skiing I can post.

http://silvertonmountainguides.com/rates-dates/6-day-5-night-package/
“It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Postby lordhelmut » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:37 pm

Neil wrote:
tommyboy360 wrote:And Little Cottonwood Canyon gets the best snow in terms of quantity and quality in the lower 48. Brighton, Alta, Snowbird... The best POWDER lift served ski areas in the lower 48 states. PERIOD.

FACT also. And I say this as a CO native, but you can't run from the truth. You guys just keep preachin' and I'll keep givin' you the AMENS!

First time you take a run down the Cirque or High Baldy Chutes off the Tram after a 20 inch, low density dump, your life instantly changes, whether you realize it or not. I remember standing in the Tram line all teary eyed after getting up early and obtaining the very first tracks on the mountain last spring in the middle of a weeklong, 108" blizzard. Big and Little Cottonwood are truly a life altering experience.

Postby ajkagy » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:54 pm

lordhelmut wrote:
Neil wrote:

First time you take a run down the Cirque or High Baldy Chutes off the Tram after a 20 inch, low density dump, your life instantly changes, whether you realize it or not. I remember standing in the Tram line all teary eyed after getting up early and obtaining the very first tracks on the mountain last spring in the middle of a weeklong, 108" blizzard. Big and Little Cottonwood are truly a life altering experience.

+1 utah can't be beat for lift served snow on a POW day...although some of the best turns i've ever had have been in the CO backcountry.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby Gahugafuga » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:16 pm

lordhelmut wrote:First time you take a run down the Cirque or High Baldy Chutes off the Tram after a 20 inch, low density dump, your life instantly changes, whether you realize it or not. I remember standing in the Tram line all teary eyed after getting up early and obtaining the very first tracks on the mountain last spring in the middle of a weeklong, 108" blizzard. Big and Little Cottonwood are truly a life altering experience.

Snowbird Lessons:

1) Goggles need to closely contour against your face. Snow goes up any cracks by the nose quite readily.

2) When hiking High Baldy, your skis go on your right shoulder so that your left hand is free to cover your face from the prevailing wind.

3) Choking on a snow isn't a hilarious figurative concept. It's very real and it screws up otherwise awesome runs.

4) 80% of the Snowbird Ragdoll Squadron believe the resort consists of the Cirque and mid-Baldy. They will abandon the resort by noon because those areas are tracked out. Meanwhile, patrol is still dropping ropes. 1PM is a a reasonable time to arrive and still get the best afternoon of your life.

5) The definition of "life-altering" slides after half a season. It can only be found in the backcountry. See my avatar for details.

Postby lordhelmut » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:28 pm

Gahugafuga wrote:
lordhelmut wrote:First time you take a run down the Cirque or High Baldy Chutes off the Tram after a 20 inch, low density dump, your life instantly changes, whether you realize it or not. I remember standing in the Tram line all teary eyed after getting up early and obtaining the very first tracks on the mountain last spring in the middle of a weeklong, 108" blizzard. Big and Little Cottonwood are truly a life altering experience.

Snowbird Lessons:

1) Goggles need to closely contour against your face. Snow goes up any cracks by the nose quite readily.

2) When hiking High Baldy, your skis go on your right shoulder so that your left hand is free to cover your face from the prevailing wind.

3) Choking on a snow isn't a hilarious figurative concept. It's very real and it screws up otherwise awesome runs.

4) 80% of the Snowbird Ragdoll Squadron believe the resort consists of the Cirque and mid-Baldy. They will abandon the resort by noon because those areas are tracked out. Meanwhile, patrol is still dropping ropes. 1PM is a a reasonable time to arrive and still get the best afternoon of your life.

5) The definition of "life-altering" slides after half a season. It can only be found in the backcountry. See my avatar for details.

In answer to your #5, I would love to experience that sooner rather than later. It just so happens that anytime I make a trip to the region, its always after a really big dump. Maybe you can be so kind as to show me these spots possibly this season??

Postby painless4u2 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:54 pm

NYRyan wrote:"That is such a Texan thing to say. So Texas grabbed up a bunch of land during the most politically turbulent era in the North America and declared itself a nation for ten years? wow ..... so impressive. How many of those ski resorts were operating between 1836 and 1846? Right. If you want to talk history, the heritage of this land is Mexican/Spanish and Native American. They lived/took care of this land for A LOT longer than Texas and THANK GOODNESS FOR THAT!

Yeah, those 270 guys in the Alamo that held off 1500 of those caring Mexican soldiers for 12 days, then were all killed...not impressive, really. Oh, how about those 330 Texans that were lined up in Goliad and shot, after surrendering? Yeah, really sweet guys, those caring Mexicans. Now, don't get me wrong, I love Colorado. I own 55 mountainous acres of it, along with a home. I pay Colorado taxes. Just lay off the Texas jokes already. It's tiresome.
In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9

Bad decisions often make good stories.

Postby roguejackalope » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:52 pm

tommyboy360 wrote:
Neil wrote:
lordhelmut wrote:Best place to make 3000 foot laps is under the Snowbird Tram on a powder day.

THIS is a fact. Forget the IMO.

And Little Cottonwood Canyon gets the best snow in terms of quantity and quality in the lower 48. Brighton, Alta, Snowbird... The best POWDER lift served ski areas in the lower 48 states. PERIOD.

Best place to make 4000 foot laps is under the Jackson Tram on a powder day :D

Little Cottonwood might get a little more snow, but it's just as light and fluffy in the Tetons and I actually prefer Jackson over anything in the Little Cottonwood. Overall better terrain and less crowded, IMO.
"Hiking is just walking where it's okay to pee" - Demetri Martin

Previous