Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

14er ski resort equivalent?

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: 14er ski resort equivalent?

Postby roguejackalope » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:52 am

Minturn Mile = Snowmass, there's usually a logjam at the beaver pond.
"Hiking is just walking where it's okay to pee" - Demetri Martin

Postby Chicago Transplant » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:24 am

Matt wrote:
Bean wrote:
Matt wrote:Alta = Culebra if the Hills decided to discriminate against half the people who wanted to pay to be on the mountain.
I have this sticker on my board in honor of Alta:

Snowboarders can go to Alta, they just can't bring their snowboards.
;)

Ok.
Revision: Alta = Culebra where you can hike, but only naked and barefoot or wear only one kind of shoe.

Top Three Reasons Skiing is Better Than Snowboarding:
1. Alta
2. Mad River Glen
3. Deer Valley
:mrgreen:

Honestly, I don't know why they are still banned at any resort, back in the old days when snowboarding was just getting started there were maybe some valid safety reasons for it, mainly stemming from a lack of resort staff that boarded so no patrol/instruction capabilities on a board. Now, however, its just an archaic marketing ploy for certain resorts to try an attract "die hard skiers" (Alta and MRG) or rich folks who still view boarders as "punk kids" (Deer Valley).
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Postby roguejackalope » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:25 am

Chicago Transplant wrote:Top Three Reasons Skiing is Better Than Snowboarding:
1. Alta
2. Mad River Glen
3. Deer Valley
:mrgreen:

Honestly, I don't know why they are still banned at any resort, back in the old days when snowboarding was just getting started there were maybe some valid safety reasons for it, mainly stemming from a lack of resort staff that boarded so no patrol/instruction capabilities on a board. Now, however, its just an archaic marketing ploy for certain resorts to try an attract "die hard skiers" (Alta and MRG) or rich folks who still view boarders as "punk kids" (Deer Valley).

I can't speak to MRG or Deer Valley, but there are a bunch of traverses at Alta that would be a huge mess if snowboarders were allowed.
"Hiking is just walking where it's okay to pee" - Demetri Martin

Postby Don Eberl » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:18 pm

SO here's a question for everyone..........What's the best ski line/run at any of the mentioned resorts. Abasin, Notch Couloir on the East Wall comes to mind for me. Some pics are always nice also.[/quote]

I think that the Lake Chutes at Breck are a pretty great line. I think you can find steeper on those than the Notch Couloir.

Kudos to Alta and Deer Valley. More snow stays on the good lines without the boarders plowing it off.
Some of it's majic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way.

Jimmy Buffett

Postby Flux » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:40 pm

It's got much more to do with the skill level and the want to not ruin the line for the next guy than what is on their feet. I have seen good lines wrecked by boarders and skiers alike scraping them down. There is a point in awareness and skill where the line blurs, luckily I ride in a place where nobody cares what is on your feet. I once did, and it was just the NEW RICH that hated. Get over it.

Postby GeorgiaTyler » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:02 pm

Wolfie might be closer to Texas but there is no lodging there at the hill, so most folks from the big state prefer Purg (this is what I have heard). Plus the drive up is easier then going to Breck, Monarch, CB, etc... Also, what I have heard. GOD BLESS TEXAS (i lived there for a few years when i was a child).

*the trout were taking ants on the animas today! woohoo!
Climb up Pints down

Postby Bean » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:03 pm

Flux wrote:It's got much more to do with the skill level and the want to not ruin the line for the next guy than what is on their feet. I have seen good lines wrecked by boarders and skiers alike scraping them down. There is a point in awareness and skill where the line blurs, luckily I ride in a place where nobody cares what is on your feet. I once did, and it was just the NEW RICH that hated. Get over it.

Did you miss the part about "traverses" in your blind rage?
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby tommyboy360 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:06 pm

Don Eberl wrote:I think that the Lake Chutes at Breck are a pretty great line. I think you can find steeper on those than the Notch Couloir.

Lake chutes are steep for the initial 300' drop. Pretty mellow after that but still sweet. Returning to the lift line and the slow chairs of Breck #6 lift is a big debbie downer.

Notch 2 is sweet. The narrow entry scares off most hikers. Best to billy goat it at the top. Be careful if you choose to downclimb the initial drop which I see way too many people do. The steep fall line is narrow and the steep pitch is sustained. But Wily's Wide from the top of "a-basin peak" is a long and perfect fall line if the snow pack is there.

"Be One" at Aspen Highlands has to be one of the best in-bounds lines at a resort for high-speed pow turns, long 45 degree sustained pitch with over the head powder shots. And the run goes on and on and on... good chance too the liftees will be sharing free hot dogs off their grill when you get to the base of Temerity.

Crested Butte is sweet too. It has both short and sweet ("Rambo" is 55 degrees), which is typical for the north face or you can ski off the CB summit proper and take the banana funnel (typically bumped out in most areas) all the way to the base area. CB summit offers those rare views like you get at j-hole -- you can look all the way down a 3000+ line to the base area. That is steep.

Vail is great. I rip on it but the snow is great, the amount of open terrain is insane and there are cliff airs EVERYWHERE. So many options to pin it on wide open powder fields is fun. But, a powder day strategy for Vail starts the night before. It's a race and those who know how to work it can beat the system, at least for the first half of the day.

Yep, Wet Spot at Silverton is great. One of the better lines. Roast Beef couloir into the sandwich bowl or Zone 7 is some of the best stuff there. Doubtful you will get to any of the serious lines at Silverton if you meet your guide and go with a mix group of 8 at the start of the morning. But still, everything line you ski there will be great. They are super great at rotating the zones that are open after a big dump to ensure everyone gets some powder turns.

Please, let the 99% keep driving by Loveland. Like certain TR's, it's taboo to speak in detail about the goods.
Last edited by tommyboy360 on Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Postby lordhelmut » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:35 pm

If you can ski "Rambo" in one fell swoop without stopping, you are a good skier. Simply put. If nothing else, it builds character.

Best place to make 3000 foot laps is under the Snowbird Tram on a powder day. It doesn't get much better than that in the states, IMO (maybe AJAX's gondola line). Then again, I've never skied Jackson. There are some really fun lines to be had at the Cirque and Hanging Valley Wall at Snowmass. Mary Jane territory has got to be the best bang for your buck, with regards to trees (and the quality of them), bumps and steeps all from 1 lift, and lots of it.

Postby tommyboy360 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:13 pm

Geesh, I left out hiking Palmyra at T-ride. Insane fun for steep powder hounds. T-ride is the BEST lift served resort in Colorado without the crowds, EVER. Empty runs, Empty lifts, Empty park. CB is a close 2nd in terms of big and no crowds.

If you are from out of state... avoid paying for travel to the Vail resorts if you're planning on staying and skiing a weekend. Vail Resorts (Vail, Breck, Key) are like the crowds you get on Pikes, Grays and Bierstadt. T-Ride, CB and Aspen are the best. So funny how pass bound and dumb Denver skiers are. No aptitude to explore.

Aspen has a stigma of being the most expensive... not the case. You WILL pay more at the window for Breck and Vail. Aspen and T-ride offer the best towns and views.
Last edited by tommyboy360 on Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Neil » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:14 pm

lordhelmut wrote:Best place to make 3000 foot laps is under the Snowbird Tram on a powder day.

THIS is a fact. Forget the IMO.
"On the edge of the porch in the warm evening night
Throwing the bone for the dog I see two passing lights
Well, I wonder where that driver's bound
Is there someone, somewhere, someway out there that I've not found"
-Driving Song

Postby tommyboy360 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:26 pm

Neil wrote:
lordhelmut wrote:Best place to make 3000 foot laps is under the Snowbird Tram on a powder day.

THIS is a fact. Forget the IMO.

And Little Cottonwood Canyon gets the best snow in terms of quantity and quality in the lower 48. Brighton, Alta, Snowbird... The best POWDER lift served ski areas in the lower 48 states. PERIOD.

PreviousNext