Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

14er ski resort equivalent?

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: 14er ski resort equivalent?

Postby GeorgiaTyler » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:45 pm

Matt wrote:Purgatory = whichever 14er has the most Texans hiking up on a given day. How's the new terrain by Legends, anyone?

Nice one about the Texans (Sad but true), unfortunately we are the closest ski resort to Texas, so you will see the occasional Carharrt and cowboy hat skier tumbling in the snow.. I'm not complaining during spring break though! Lift 8 new terrain def. gets steeper and lots of trees and the further you go towards the boundry the steeper it gets and there are some really great tree runs, check it out. On the front side they added some glade runs that are pretty steep and have some cliff bands. I'm still thinking of a 14er to compare Purg to, but good call on the Texans..
Climb up Pints down

Postby gdthomas » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:16 pm

GeorgiaTyler wrote: Nice one about the Texans (Sad but true), unfortunately we are the closest ski resort to Texas...

Purgatory is closer than Wolf CreeK?

Postby tommyboy360 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:27 pm

GeorgiaTyler wrote:If you know what's up you call it Purgatory. Toursists call in DMR. Actually the view from the top is pretty sweet. MUCH better than alot of Front Range resorts i've been to(no offense). At least you see trees and mountains and there aren't winds and crowds that drive you off the hill...

GeorgiaTyler wrote:I'm not complaining during spring break though! Lift 8 new terrain def. gets steeper and lots of trees and the further you go towards the boundry the steeper it gets and there are some really great tree runs, check it out. On the front side they added some glade runs that are pretty steep and have some cliff bands. I'm still thinking of a 14er to compare Purg to, but good call on the Texans..

Thanks for the insider scoop. Purgatory will be my Colorado ski resort equivalent of a 14er finisher. hahaha. Unless I'm using the list that counts all of the small "unranked" ski places in Colorado like Howelsen. But I have been to Echo, Cooper and SolVista. I'm a Loveland pass holder and get 3 free days at Purgatory but have not used them yet. It has to happen this year.

Remember that 3 foot front range dump that Denver got a few years ago... I decided to go to Echo just after that storm when their road opened. I was there totally alone one night and skied untouched and bottomless powder under the lights and right off the lift. All the park stuff was buried in 5'+. I went back the next night and took a friend and we had the same conditions but raced into the surrounding glades. We couldn't stop laughing. And to think I went to work both days and then to "happy hour" of powder turns under the lights. Outdoor speakers were blaring music, no one was there, the park was buried in a deep pow blanket... it has to be one of the craziest powder day experiences of my life. Unfortunately, Echo hasn't been the same since. However, I know those freak storms can bury places like Echo and Purgatory and make them feel like your own private dream powder resort for a day. I love some of the smaller ski resorts.

Wolf Creek is less than 5 hours from Denver. It's on the eastern side of the San Juans. Just outside of Alamosa/South Fork.
Purgatory is north on 550 in between Durango and Silverton. It will take you about 6.5 hours.
“It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Postby EatinHardtack » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:31 pm

[quote="lordhelmut"]Sweet thread! Beaver Creek = Wilsons (underrated and overlooked due to distance from Denver, some of the most aesthetic lines in their realms as well)[quote]

This is nice to read. I have ten days to spend at Vail and BC this year and I've never been to Beaver Creek.

SO here's a question for everyone..........What's the best ski line/run at any of the mentioned resorts. Abasin, Notch Couloir on the East Wall comes to mind for me. Some pics are always nice also.
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Postby tommyboy360 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:48 pm

EatinHardtack wrote:SO here's a question for everyone..........What's the best ski line/run at any of the mentioned resorts. Abasin, Notch Couloir on the East Wall comes to mind for me. Some pics are always nice also.

Silverton and Aspen Highlands compete for the best lines. CB is right there too.

A-basin's notch 1 & 2, north pole and narrow north pole are all sweet. The best at a-basin along with Willy's Wide and Zuma Cornice. But the upper east wall rarely opens until late spring. The upper east wall was open for a long stretch last season and unfortunately it started attracting a huge crowd. Crowd levels that were almost like hiking Peak 8/Imperial at Breck where I was in a long boot pack line and waiting for the snapshots photo guy to click and shout out a photo number.

I'm also a big fan of Loveland. Some of the best lines and snow in SumCo and my favorite local stash.

Postby tommyboy360 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:09 pm

This is way HIGH on my list of things to do...

Let's get a group of experienced and fast skiers/riders and hit this place for 3 days. You're own PRIVATE COLORADO RESORT.
http://bonniebellecabin.com/

Postby painless4u2 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:12 pm

GeorgiaTyler wrote:
Matt wrote:Purgatory = whichever 14er has the most Texans hiking up on a given day. How's the new terrain by Legends, anyone?

Nice one about the Texans (Sad but true), unfortunately we are the closest ski resort to Texas, so you will see the occasional Carharrt and cowboy hat skier tumbling in the snow.. I'm not complaining during spring break though! Lift 8 new terrain def. gets steeper and lots of trees and the further you go towards the boundry the steeper it gets and there are some really great tree runs, check it out. On the front side they added some glade runs that are pretty steep and have some cliff bands. I'm still thinking of a 14er to compare Purg to, but good call on the Texans..

Ha ha,funny thing about Texas: Most of your ski areas were in the Republic of Texas before the was even a Colorado. Here's the list:
1. Angel Fire
2. Arrowhead
3. Aspen
4. Aspen Highlands
5. Beaver Creek
6. Buttermilk
7. Crested Butte Mountain Resort
8. Cuchara Mountain Resort
9. Howelsen Hill Ski Area
10. Monarch Ski Resort
11. Red River
12. Sandia Peak Ski Area
13. Santa Fe Ski Area
14. Ski Apache
15. Ski Rio
16. Cloucroft /Snow Canyon
17. Sipapu
18. Snowmass
19. Steamboat
20. Sunlight
21. Taos
22. Vail
Also, ever actually been to Gunnison? I see more Carharts and hats there than I ever see here in Texas. So remember, when you are skiing Colorado, you are really skiing original Republic of Texas. Oh, and you should really check Mapquest. Purgatory is actually further from Texas than Wolf Creek, Monarch, Crested Butte, or even Breckenridge. Ya'll.
In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9

Bad decisions often make good stories.

"Well, that didn't go as expected." - Brett Maune

Postby Matt » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:11 pm

Bean wrote:
Matt wrote:Alta = Culebra if the Hills decided to discriminate against half the people who wanted to pay to be on the mountain.
I have this sticker on my board in honor of Alta:

Snowboarders can go to Alta, they just can't bring their snowboards.
;)

Ok.
Revision: Alta = Culebra where you can hike, but only naked and barefoot or wear only one kind of shoe.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List

Postby Jim Davies » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:41 am

Loveland = Pacific Peak. Varied, interesting, challenging, but 99% drive by it to join the crowds on its larger neighbors.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby roguejackalope » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:21 am

EatinHardtack wrote:SO here's a question for everyone..........What's the best ski line/run at any of the mentioned resorts. Abasin, Notch Couloir on the East Wall comes to mind for me. Some pics are always nice also.

Tree Chutes at AB should receive honorable mention. When they are open, I could spend all day over there.

Silverton has a stunning number of amazing, difficult, and aesthetic lines... but do yourself a favor and ski the Wet Spot there if you get an opportunity.

Alta = High Rustler (good but maybe a bit overrated)

And of course Jackson Hole's gold standard is Corbet's Couloir:
DSC00542.jpg
Rendezvous Mountain and Corbet's
DSC00542.jpg (44.83 KiB) Viewed 427 times

P1170237.jpg
Tram over Corbet's
P1170237.jpg (63.56 KiB) Viewed 427 times

And in my opinion, a day at Alta would suck on a snowboard. I think Alta must be an old Indian word meaning Traverse.
"Hiking is just walking where it's okay to pee" - Demetri Martin

Postby NYRyan » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:31 am

"Ha ha,funny thing about Texas: Most of your ski areas were in the Republic of Texas before the was even a Colorado. Here's the list:
1. Angel Fire
2. Arrowhead
3. Aspen
4. Aspen Highlands
5. Beaver Creek
6. Buttermilk
7. Crested Butte Mountain Resort
8. Cuchara Mountain Resort
9. Howelsen Hill Ski Area
10. Monarch Ski Resort
11. Red River
12. Sandia Peak Ski Area
13. Santa Fe Ski Area
14. Ski Apache
15. Ski Rio
16. Cloucroft /Snow Canyon
17. Sipapu
18. Snowmass
19. Steamboat
20. Sunlight
21. Taos
22. Vail
Also, ever actually been to Gunnison? I see more Carharts and hats there than I ever see here in Texas. So remember, when you are skiing Colorado, you are really skiing original Republic of Texas. " ------ stereotypical Texan

That is such a Texan thing to say. So Texas grabbed up a bunch of land during the most politically turbulent era in the North America and declared itself a nation for ten years? wow ..... so impressive. How many of those ski resorts were operating between 1836 and 1846? Right. If you want to talk history, the heritage of this land is Mexican/Spanish and Native American. They lived/took care of this land for A LOT longer than Texas and THANK GOODNESS FOR THAT!
Thank you Bill M for this great site.

Postby NYRyan » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:37 am

Personally, I think the best runs on Abasin's East Wall are:

1. The Snorkel
2. Corner Chute
3. Tree Chutes
4. 2nd Notch
5. Y Chute
6. Narrow North Pole
Thank you Bill M for this great site.

PreviousNext