Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Harvard too rocky to ski this weekend?

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Harvard too rocky to ski this weekend?

Postby Jordan D » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:52 am

I'm taking a bunch of beginner friends out to do Harvard on Sunday and there seems to be a bit of winter strolling through. up to a foot at 12k Thurs-Sat, looking at the 14,000ft forecast on Massive (the only nearby 14k forecast I know of) it shows nearly 2 feet of possible accumulation through Saturday night

I'm crazy enough to bring the skis, but is Harvard far too rocky for a measly 1.5-2ft?

Re: Harvard too rocky to ski this weekend?

Postby benners » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:20 am

With the wind relocating the new snow somewhat, I'm guessing the top few thousand feet of Harvard will be as good as bone dry, even during or immediately following the storm. On top of that the areas which do happen to accumulate a little bit of snow will likely be nothing more than unconsolidated crap over talus, and you'll just punch right through down to the rocks. The approach will also likely be completely dry. I'd say leave the skis at home, even if Harvard receives as much snow as is forecasted, which I doubt it will.