Forum

Woo Hoo! Another big snow year forcasted!

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Woo Hoo! Another big snow year forcasted!

Postby Dave B » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:23 pm

It's pretty early, but accuweather is forecasting another above normal snow year and specifically mentions the front range by name.

Woot!
The mountains - whose summits reach or exceed arbitrary thresholds for elevation and prominence - are calling and I must go.

-John Muir

Re: Woo Hoo! Another big snow year forcasted!

Postby ajkagy » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:24 pm

hey don't jinx anything yet! more snow the better though :)

Postby tmathews » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:26 pm

Hopefully not just the northern Front Range again. I swear there seems to be more snow on Pikes right now than there was all of last winter.

Postby speth » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:29 pm

tmathews wrote:Hopefully not just the northern Front Range again. I swear there seems to be more snow on Pikes right now than there was all of last winter.

Geeze, is that mostly fresh? Quite a bit up there.
I'll be damned if I feel like I will ever know anything, but if we don't keep moving on that last hill, we'll never know what's on the other side.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The rain and thunder, the wind and haze are bound for better days. My life, my dream. Nothin's gonna stop me now.
[-X What are you insinuating? Do you think I'm Ranger? =; Because if you do than you are dead wrong.
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
rage-quit mountaineer wrote:I give up. Bill, just delete my account.

Postby traderaaron » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:35 pm

The linked forecast actually favors Denver, Cheyenne etc. and across the northern plains more so than the high mountains in my opinion. Fronts that come down along the front range of the rockies and immediate plains out of Canada tend to favor continental divide and east storms rather than your favorite ski slopes. It think that's why the forecast actually says normal snow for the western mountains.

But this is all assuming a lot of course.

Just my amateur meteorologist opinion.

Postby Jim Davies » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:39 pm

speth wrote:Geeze, is that mostly fresh? Quite a bit up there.

All of that has fallen since Wednesday afternoon. Colorado Springs set an all-time record for most rain in a day Wednesday with 4.5". Despite this (and another half-inch yesterday) we're still an inch less than normal for the year.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby Floyd » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:43 pm

traderaaron wrote:The linked forecast actually favors Denver, Cheyenne etc. and across the northern plains more so than the high mountains in my opinion. Fronts that come down along the front range of the rockies and immediate plains out of Canada tend to favor continental divide and east storms rather than your favorite ski slopes. It think that's why the forecast actually says normal snow for the western mountains.

But this is all assuming a lot of course.

Just my amateur meteorologist opinion.

Wonderful, a repeat of 2006/2007 when Denver got nailed with a foot/week but the resorts/mountains were below normal? Can't wait for the rutted ice packed down on my street until April again.
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason

Postby fluxrad » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:46 pm

I'll take whatever we get. I just picked up my Winter Park season pass and do most of my BC days at Bert or Indian Peaks. Big snows on the Northern Front Range are just fine with me.

Some discussion over at the CPF.
"It is seldom liberty of any kind that is lost all at once."
-David Hume

Postby Dave B » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:51 pm

fluxrad wrote:I'll take whatever we get. I just picked up my Winter Park season pass and do most of my BC days at Bert or Indian Peaks. Big snows on the Northern Front Range are just fine with me.

Some discussion over at the CPF.

Agreed, most of my BC is up the Poudre or in RMNP or the IPW.

Still trying to decide between the $350 WP/MJ and Copper with 5 days at Steamboat or the AB/Key/Breck pass

One has less 75 driving but none of my buddies skiing there and the other has all of my buddies but more 75...

Decisions decisions.
The mountains - whose summits reach or exceed arbitrary thresholds for elevation and prominence - are calling and I must go.

-John Muir

Postby tommyboy360 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:07 pm

tmathews wrote:Hopefully not just the northern Front Range again. I swear there seems to be more snow on Pikes right now than there was all of last winter.

hahaha. Those conditions are crazy.

Here's what I pulled off a mid-term forecast site:

"Late next week and weekend we see continued mostly dry air and warmer than average temperatures under relatively weak high pressure ridging aloft. Isolated thunderstorms are still possible, but are not the dominant aspect of our daily weather. High pressure ridging aloft may continue across the west through the month of September, with relatively warm temperatures and not much wind."

Yeah, I'm looking forward to the snow but let's get a few more weeks of good climbing in! Remember, lat year's La Nina brought us unusually warm temps though most of October and significant snow didn't fly almost until the end of the month.

Strange that the forecast map in the OP is showing Tahoe and the Sierras at below normal. Last year's La Nina was epic snow for them. Looks like T-ride will get the short end of the stick again this year. Another great season on deck to plan a trip to Jackson Hole...
“It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Postby Bean » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:18 pm

davey_rocket wrote:One has less 75 driving but none of my buddies skiing there and the other has all of my buddies but more 75...

There are always people to ski with. I could never go back to a VR pass at this point, unless I lived somewhere it was my only practical option.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:55 pm

Seems every year, it has to snow pretty good to get us into indian summer.

And to wit, the current 6-10 and 8-14 day CPC outlooks suggest warm dry weather for the remainder of the month.

(PS - Thanks, Jim Davies, for the numbers from Wednesday - sure seemed like way more rain than we'd seen for a while and I'd guessed far more than the 1" forecasted. My only surprise with the Peak is that it didn't have more snow in Terry's photo!)

Next