Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

14er Snowboard Project

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

14er Snowboard Project

Postby taylorzs » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:30 pm

Hello all, I started the Colorado 14er Snowboard Project several years ago to document the history of snowboarding on Colorado's 14ers. I wanted to do two things here; give everyone an update on some of the events of the last year as far as 14er snowboard descents are concerned and ask for more information and photos for the website. First what happened over the last year;

*most notably Marc Barella came out of no where to snowboard Capitol and Pyramid this last spring. These are probably the two hardest 14er snowboard descents in Colorado. It was the second snowboard descent of Capitol (second only to Jarrett Luttrell's/EasyRider) and probably only the third snowboard descent of Pyramid. A huge shout out and congratulations to Marc. =D>

*Erik Kling and Tom Courtright descended Tabeguache. Erik Kling only has a handful of snowboard descents left before he possibly finishes riding all of them.

*Zach Taylor (myself) rode seven 14ers in Colorado (2 more outside the state) this spring including the east couloir of Mt. Eolus and the north face of La Plata.

*Jim Detterline longtime RMNP ranger reported a descent of Longs Peak by his partner Dave McKee dating back to early July 1995 a month after the first two snowboard descents of Longs were made in June of 1995.

Visit the webpage for more info and to see lots of cool shots of various people riding/climbing the 14ers;

http://www.14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com

Also, I am looking to log more descents so please report yours to me if you have them. The exact format and information I would like to recieve for those descents is listed on the front page of the above mentioned website. Also please send me any cool snowboarding/snow route pics of the 14ers that you do not mind me posting on the website. Photos will be credited to you by listing your first name and the year the picture was taken just below each posted photo. And if you do send me info be patient with the time it will take me to get it up. I am a full time college student and have my own mountaineering and climbing to do as well. Thanks! Zach

Zach Taylor
taylorzs@live.com
"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds." Edward Abbey

www.14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com
www.zachtaylorsnowboarding.com

Re: 14er Snowboard Project

Postby aerohr » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:04 pm

Neat project. Your webpage background selection induces a similar feeling of vertigo to what one feels while looking down a steep couloir.

Postby Carl » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:49 pm

Nice crossing paths with you this spring on la plata Zach. Marc is now a 14ers.com member. XC Snowboarder with 46 descents and mostly easier peaks left because he didn't want to join me on the less exciting 14ers when riding all of them wasn't on the agenda. Looking back now we get a kick out of that.

Postby Manky » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:24 pm

Right on Zach, sounds like a sweet project. Good meeting you guys on Uncompahgre this year, and thanks for the bootpack! Maybe we will see you out this year.
Everything has changed, is changing and will continue to change...

Postby shaunster_co » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:40 pm

Nice job on the project Zach. I board with a few others - perhaps see you out there. Again, nice work.

Postby taylorzs » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:08 am

Thanks everyone, glad you all are enjoying the site. Carl it was good to meet you this spring too. That was a pretty fun descent on La Plata, maybe we will get out sometime in the future. I want to get all of Marc's descents up on the site as well. I will try to get in touch with him soon, via the e-mail address you gave me but let him know too that he can e-mail me ascent/descent info and I will post it as it is sent if he gets around to it before I talk to him. Manky, good to have met you too. No problem on the bootpack, it keeps me in shape.
"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds." Edward Abbey

Postby XC Snowboarder » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:19 pm

Zach,
It was nice to put a face with your name on La Plata and that was a sweet descent, especially up top. Great work on the page and thanks for the kudos. I'll work on getting you some details and pictures soon.

Postby sevenvii » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:04 pm

Love the content and the project! But the background and color scheme arent quite so easy on the eyes. As a snowboarder who wants to break into snowboard mountaineering scene at some point, I have enjoyed reading your trip reports immensely :)

Postby taylorzs » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:00 am

Marc, it was good to have met you up there too! It was a beautiful day on a fun line. So, after posting this Ben Conners e-mailed me links to 21 tr's that either he or Carl wrote with you in them so I will start getting those up today; Lincoln, Bross, Democrat, Longs, Evans, Princeton, Sunlight, Windom, N and S Eolus, Redcloud, Sunshine Handies, Wilson Peak, El Diente, Lindsey N Maroon, Blanca, Ellingwood, Mt. Wilson, and Sneffels. I already have Capitol and Pyramid recorded so if you can help me fill in the gaps with the other peaks you descended that would help a lot and also any pictures in particular that you like as well on any of the 14ers that you would like up on the site. I am going to get a profile up of you on the main page along Jarrett's, Erik's, Barrow's, and myself so if you get a chance send me a profile pic and whatever you want said about your bio. I may put something up there today for that but will change it accordingly as I get what you want specifically.
sevenvii- Glad you enjoyed the trs/pictures. The color sceme is not my favorite either but it is what came with the website format when I put it together. You can thank Homestead. I am sure I could change it but I do not even know where to start, am prioritizing getting Marc's(and other people's descents up), am loaded down with school work, and still trying to get out mountaineering this fall myself so getting the color scheme changed is low on the priority list at the moment. It will probably happen sometime, but I would not expect anytime soon. Good luck with your adventures!

Postby d_baker » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:38 pm

Is your site only for boarders that are riding the 14ers? Forrest Thornily rides some cool stuff (e.g., Teakettle, Twilights, RMNP possible first descent--according to Eli), and writes about it on 14erW. Inspiring stuff, even though I don't board or ski.

Postby gb » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:36 pm

Pretty minor one, but my buddy Scott Yost boarded Lavender Col- East couloir of Sneffels in June of 1999. (We both climbed the snake, and I ended up skiing it while he went the other way) Hope to see your project continue to get filled out with info.

Postby taylorzs » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:16 pm

d_baker wrote:Is your site only for boarders that are riding the 14ers? Forrest Thornily rides some cool stuff (e.g., Teakettle, Twilights, RMNP possible first descent--according to Eli), and writes about it on 14erW. Inspiring stuff, even though I don't board or ski.

That indeed is inspiring stuff. If anything the 13ers offer atleast as much if not more to the snowboard/ski mountaineer as the 14ers. I would love to record all that but I have my hands full with the 14ers. I am not in a place to try to record all the 13er stuff as well unfortunately. Tell him about the project though if you get a chance, I bet he has some descents on the 14ers too...perhaps he would want to share those with me.

gb wrote:Pretty minor one, but my buddy Scott Yost boarded Lavender Col- East couloir of Sneffels in June of 1999. (We both climbed the snake, and I ended up skiing it while he went the other way) Hope to see your project continue to get filled out with info.

Hey Frank, thanks for the descent, I just logged it on the 14er Snowboard Project webpage. That is the second earliest descent I have logged of Sneffels currently.