Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Skiing this coming weekend? Partners?

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Skiing this coming weekend? Partners?

Postby saxybrian » Mon May 23, 2011 9:10 pm

Anyone here want to do some AT skiing? I'm pretty new to skiing in general so basically anything of a blue grade I could do (I could probably hit a light black after a few hours of skiing). I'm really wanting to get some learning in with someone who doesn't mind going out and helping a new person in the area.

I'd be coming from TX so let me know soon by emailing me at brianwthomas @ gmail (.) com

I went to Quandary in April but got socked in by 100+mph wind and nasty avy conditions. (I'm in good shape so skinning up wasn't to much of an issue last time I went)

Re: Skiing this coming weekend? Partners?

Postby SummitAP » Mon May 23, 2011 9:37 pm

This will end well...

Postby weissea » Mon May 23, 2011 11:15 pm

How new to skiing in general are you? I know you are looking for partners but consider this advice.

Maybe hit up one of the closed resorts if you are looking for practice, rather than jump right into the backcountry. Almost every one of them still has snow from top to bottom. You can use their trail ratings to measure you expectations against reality (however, it is hard to then translate resort ratings to backcountry difficulty). Avy danger will be low. Access will be a breeze. Surface snow will be comparable to the backcountry because they haven't been grooming for weeks (of course, the snowpack under the surface will be totally different).

After that you could go to Berthoud Pass (abandoned ski area) and skin up/ski down old blue/green runs that haven't been touched by machines in many years.

Then get into the easier backcountry stuff and give Quandary another shot...

Formal avy training is, of course, always recommended. I, however, can't push it on others because I never took the class but learned on the job, first hand from certified, experienced partners.

Have fun...
In the words of Jean-Paul Sarte 'Aurevoir Gophere'

Postby saxybrian » Tue May 24, 2011 7:52 am

Heh, I've been on quandary before and didn't really have an issue going down the east slope until we hit the tree's (And with a 40lb pack that was a learning experience) I'm pretty decent with avy danger as I've done a lot of Mountaineering on Rainier in the past. Like i said just looking for someone to see if they wanted to hang out on something a bit easier. I don't want to drive 15 hours to go ski by myself on an abandoned ski resort. I'd rather hit a easy 14er like Quandary and ski down it.

Postby weissea » Tue May 24, 2011 8:52 am

Cool. Get after it.
In the words of Jean-Paul Sarte 'Aurevoir Gophere'

Postby SummitAP » Tue May 24, 2011 12:49 pm

Quandry... the "Easy 14er"... yearly winner of the Most CO 14er Search and Rescues many years running!

If you can ski blues and maybe easy blacks at resorts, please stick to the east face of Quandary.

Postby saxybrian » Tue May 24, 2011 4:27 pm

As i stated before, east slope. If you're going to be a prick on here at least read before doing so.

Postby SummitAP » Tue May 24, 2011 9:32 pm

You said you'd skied the East slope before, I told you to stick to it. Guess I"m a prick! :twisted:

Postby Peakjumper » Tue May 24, 2011 10:19 pm

As stated before Berthoud Pass is a good area to get into the backcountry. There are only a few green, and blue runs there and the trees are tight in areas. The drive is only about 45 minutes at the most from Denver and there was alot of snow there this winter. Last time I was up there there was over 9+ feet but it has been a couple of weeks. I would be glad to show you around there but I well be out of town this weekend. Anyways if you want to check it out after all let me know.