Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Fritschi Freeride Question

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Fritschi Freeride Question

Postby lordhelmut » Thu May 12, 2011 3:22 pm

Hey,

To be specific as possible, the base plate under the toe piece that the mount screws go through, attaching the front of the binding to the ski, broke on my Freerides last weekend. I've called Bentgate, Neptune, Wilderness Xchange, REI, Edgewerks, Mountain Chalet, Mountain Shop along with various shops in the mountains to see if this is fixeable and they say the best thing to do is call the warranty department at Black Diamond. I did, and they want me to send in the entire binding in, which I imagine will take weeks. While I may sound like a spoiled little child, I don't care, cause there is snow on the ground, lots of it, and I'm not ready to throw in the towel just yet.

If anyone has any ideas, any at all, it'd be much appreciated. If anyone out there remarkably has spare Fritschi Freeride parts lying around and knows how to replace them, that'd be huge or simply knows a better option than the warranty department. Thanks a lot for the help.

Site Administrator
User avatar
Posts: 6606
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 7:34 pm
Location: Breckenridge, CO

Re: Fritschi Freeride Question

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu May 12, 2011 3:25 pm

lordhelmut wrote:Hey,

To be specific as possible, the base plate under the toe piece that the mount screws go through, attaching the front of the binding to the ski, broke on my Freerides last weekend. I've called Bentgate, Neptune, Wilderness Xchange, REI, Edgewerks, Mountain Chalet, Mountain Shop along with various shops in the mountains to see if this is fixeable and they say the best thing to do is call the warranty department at Black Diamond. I did, and they want me to send in the entire binding in, which I imagine will take weeks. While I may sound like a spoiled little child, I don't care, cause there is snow on the ground, lots of it, and I'm not ready to throw in the towel just yet.

If anyone has any ideas, any at all, it'd be much appreciated. If anyone out there remarkably has spare Fritschi Freeride parts lying around and knows how to replace them, that'd be huge or simply knows a better option than the warranty department. Thanks a lot for the help.

Post a photo and I could probably overnight you the part or an entire toe-piece. Pronto

Having a broken boot recently, I feel your pain.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Re: Fritschi Freeride Question

Postby lordhelmut » Thu May 12, 2011 3:29 pm

Ha,

Bill, thats hilarious. Benners said my last resort would probably be Bill Middlebrook and his ski shop garage. I'll send you a picture ASAP. Thanks for the reply.

Site Administrator
User avatar
Posts: 6606
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 7:34 pm
Location: Breckenridge, CO

Re: Fritschi Freeride Question

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu May 12, 2011 3:31 pm

:lol:
Someday I might end up on "Hoarding: Buried Alive, Ski Tech Addition"
Only SNOW will end the madness

User avatar
Posts: 1857
Joined: Sun May 20, 2007 8:30 pm
Location: Golden

Re: Fritschi Freeride Question

Postby Carl » Thu May 12, 2011 3:35 pm

Well it appears that Bill may be coming through huge, but in case that doesn't pan out, you could buy these Trekkers from this guy in Denver, use them for a month, and sell them in December for the same you paid for them http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/221047-FS-BD-Ice-Axe-Camp-Crampons-192-BROS-Alpine-Trekkers.

I know, Trekkers suck, but everything is inferior to Dynafit for the backcountry so it's all relative.

Re: Fritschi Freeride Question

Postby Bean » Thu May 12, 2011 3:57 pm

I seem to recall someone making fun of dynafits for the "binding falling off the ski." Hope this failure didn't result in losing an entire day in the mountains for you. Props to Bill for having a collection of antiquities and being willing to part with them.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

User avatar
Posts: 763
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:17 pm
Location: crested butte

Re: Fritschi Freeride Question

Postby gb » Thu May 12, 2011 4:08 pm

Meanwhile my dynafits broke last weekend too, with maybe 20 days on them. Never had a fritchis issue before 500days. Just sayin'

Re: Fritschi Freeride Question

Postby Bean » Thu May 12, 2011 4:10 pm

gb wrote:Meanwhile my dynafits broke last weekend too, with maybe 20 days on them. Never had a fritchis issue before 500days. Just sayin'

That's a quick failure. What broke?
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

User avatar
Posts: 763
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:17 pm
Location: crested butte

Re: Fritschi Freeride Question

Postby gb » Thu May 12, 2011 4:34 pm

Just the heel tower, not a big deal, but still left me questioning them (even more than I already do).

Re: Fritschi Freeride Question

Postby Bean » Thu May 12, 2011 4:37 pm

That sucks, easy fix at least.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Posts: 20
Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 9:50 pm

Re: Fritschi Freeride Question

Postby joe snow » Thu May 12, 2011 5:52 pm

i have some spare fritchi parts you can use.
if BD will warranty the whole binding, then maybe a local shop will provide one until your replacement comes in.
If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.

Re: Fritschi Freeride Question

Postby lordhelmut » Thu May 12, 2011 6:25 pm

Bean wrote:I seem to recall someone making fun of dynafits for the "binding falling off the ski." Hope this failure didn't result in losing an entire day in the mountains for you. Props to Bill for having a collection of antiquities and being willing to part with them.


Bean, touche. But at the same time, these are from 2006 and I've put close to 150 days on them, in and out of bounds. I'd love to give Dynafit a try at some point in my life so my reservations can be warranted from first hand experience, but that would involve a 1,000$ investment, something I'm not ready to do at this point. Just nabbed a brand new pair of Garmont Adrenalins for 200$, so I'm grandfathered in to non-Dynafit compatibility for another 3-4 years. Not all was lost regardless of the binding issue, El Diente was worth the price of admission.

Bill - email sent. Thanks again.

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests