Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Mellow ski ascent

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Mellow ski ascent

Postby jameseroni » Thu May 12, 2011 3:14 pm

Well I'm getting some skins fitted to my ski's tomorrow and my AT boots just came in the mail. I'd like to get out on something mellow, with no avalanche danger to test things out. That being said I'd like to spend a decent amount of time skiing down. Do you all have any recommendations? I can only think of a few things, James peak, Gray's peak (from the saddle area on the left side) and that's about it. Anyone have any other suggestions? Would like to stay relatively close.

Maybe Audubon? But that's a pretty long day compared to something like James Peak.

J

Re: Mellow ski ascent

Postby Beachrodney » Thu May 12, 2011 3:37 pm

Flattop in RMNP is a short day with a mellow slope. Im thinking about hitting it saturday and your welcome to join!

Postby Bean » Thu May 12, 2011 3:54 pm

I've taken girlfriends to Quandary and Sherman for their first 14er ski descents. Elbert will get you a longer descent and I had no problems when I took a larger friend of mine for that last winter (suggest the NE ridge). None of them provide any significant challenge.

Postby Rastaman566 » Thu May 12, 2011 4:08 pm

Bean wrote:and I had no problems when I took a larger friend of mine for that last winter (suggest the NE ridge).

Duly noted: NE Ridge is the only one that will properly support the weight of a larger friend.

Postby Dave B » Thu May 12, 2011 5:22 pm

Did James last weekend - the new snow will help as it was unfun sastrugi then - nice tour though in a beautiful setting.

Don't forget Quandary.
No one cares that you don't like hoppy beers.

Postby COBuckeye » Fri May 13, 2011 6:28 am

Not a peak, per se, but the east and west sides of Berthoud Pass (just above the parking lot on both sides of the road) offer a few hundred vertical at 20-30deg slopes. You could lap these and get some good vert, plus the experience of working with skins can be invaluable. I made some mistakes with my skins (got snow on the glue) in this area, but simply called it a day and went back to the car. Plus the views are awesome even if you are not on top of a 14er.
"...cause I got changed by what I've been shown, more glory than the world has known, keeps me ramblin' on..." - Josh Garrels (Farther Along)

Postby gsliva » Fri May 13, 2011 6:45 am

Skin up at a ski area first. You most likely will have people around, your cell phone will work, and you know the runs.
Live for the Climb and the search for commitment.

Postby jameseroni » Fri May 13, 2011 10:35 am

Just skinned up St. Mary's glacier to the base of James peak. The wind was wipping' fierce. Turned around at the base of the peak, large ominous clouds and increasing wind. Probably just the tail end of this storm system but I was solo.

Ski'd across the nasty tundra and then down the glacier. Notes:

My heels felt extremely uncomfortable in the boot. I have plenty of room in the toe area and the boots fit and were comfortable just standing around the living room. They are Scarpa Spirit 4's, brand new, with the moldable liner. However, I didn't mold the liner yet.

Will molding the liner help the heel problem? My heels were screaming. Lots of inward pressure from the left and right lateral.

Other than that - the snow pretty much wasn't ready - I should've waited a bit but oh well. Still was a beautiful day, save the wind.

Anyone else with the heel problem?

Postby Bean » Fri May 13, 2011 10:40 am

jameseroni wrote:Will molding the liner help the heel problem? My heels were screaming.

Yes. Scarpas have cavernous heel pockets.

Postby Dave B » Fri May 13, 2011 2:05 pm

jameseroni wrote:Just skinned up St. Mary's glacier to the base of James peak. The wind was wipping' fierce. Turned around at the base of the peak, large ominous clouds and increasing wind. Probably just the tail end of this storm system but I was solo.

Ski'd across the nasty tundra and then down the glacier. Notes:

My heels felt extremely uncomfortable in the boot. I have plenty of room in the toe area and the boots fit and were comfortable just standing around the living room. They are Scarpa Spirit 4's, brand new, with the moldable liner. However, I didn't mold the liner yet.

Will molding the liner help the heel problem? My heels were screaming. Lots of inward pressure from the left and right lateral.

Other than that - the snow pretty much wasn't ready - I should've waited a bit but oh well. Still was a beautiful day, save the wind.

Anyone else with the heel problem?

Yes, my Spirit 4's killed my feet before I got them molded - didn't think it mattered that much...

It does, I love my boots now.
No one cares that you don't like hoppy beers.

Postby jam6880 » Fri May 13, 2011 8:59 pm

what is the best AT boot?

Postby COBuckeye » Fri May 13, 2011 9:02 pm

The one that fits your foot :D
"...cause I got changed by what I've been shown, more glory than the world has known, keeps me ramblin' on..." - Josh Garrels (Farther Along)

Next