Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Castle and/or Conundrum

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: Castle and/or Conundrum

Postby Carl » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:49 pm

SkiBum1287 wrote: Also, the dust storm appears to have hit the Elks. Any word on how badly?

I wouldn't worry to much about the dust in the Elks. Bean and I were camped Sunday night (making an attempt on Capitol) when the storm rolled in and it was a little dusty but I've seen much worse. Jordan said he skied Pyramid yesterday. I don't have the details but evidently the dust didn't impede his plans. Have fun if you decide to go for Castle / Conundrum.

Postby timf » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:52 pm

Anybody think that mid-June might be a smidge better for the North Couloir of Castle. I'd like to go with someone more experienced then myself, but I would think a north facing route might consolidate a bit better waiting 2 weeks or so given the late wet slab we've seen. Thoughts?

Postby Rastaman566 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:32 pm

Hey guys. I got impatient and did Castle and Conundrum yesterday. It was a blast! Parking was basically at the turnoff at 9,750'. Ascended that east face couloir on Conundrum (the one that gets you about 50' from the summit). Then traversed over to Castle and descended the north face couloir. I dug a pit and did some shear tests and found that it was the most stable snow I've been on all winter. Enjoy!

If you have any questions, let me know.

Postby Gueza » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:01 pm

I still want to make an attempt this weekend with a REALLY EARLY start time. The temps are suppose to be ridiculously warm.
Look at every setback, failure, and time you feel down in your life as a temporary, fixable condition. That is how you never give up and keep moving onwards.

"Never Stop" - AJS

"Be kind, Take care of yourself, and Work Hard" -Steve Gladbach

https://www.youtube.com/user/14erskier

Postby hberry » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:56 am

Sorry guys - I some how got unsubscribed from this thread. I am interested in doing it this weekend as I'll be in Boston next weekend and playing shuttle for the Mt Evans Ascent the weekend after that - so this will be one of my last weekends of June skiing.

I am good with an early start - I will drive down tomorrow night and camp next to the truck.

Let me know who is interested so we can get this planned.

Postby SkiBum1287 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:29 am

hberry wrote:

I'm still in. I don't work tomorrow, so I can leave whenever. Interested in carpooling?
Snow!

Postby hberry » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:09 am

SkiBum1287 wrote:
hberry wrote:

I'm still in. I don't work tomorrow, so I can leave whenever. Interested in carpooling?

I'm going to be spending the rest of the weekend in Aspen/Glenwood so I, unfortunately, won't be able to carpool.

Postby SkiBum1287 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:21 pm

Rastaman566 wrote:Hey guys. I got impatient and did Castle and Conundrum yesterday. It was a blast! Parking was basically at the turnoff at 9,750'. Ascended that east face couloir on Conundrum (the one that gets you about 50' from the summit). Then traversed over to Castle and descended the north face couloir. I dug a pit and did some shear tests and found that it was the most stable snow I've been on all winter. Enjoy!

If you have any questions, let me know.

Was the road skinnable from where you parked, or did you have to go higher to get to continuous snow? Also, how was the traverse? I don't blame you for getting it when you did! Glad all went well, and stabilized plenty.

Thanks,
Nick
Snow!

Postby Rastaman566 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:08 pm

You can begin skinning from the bridge basically, that's where it's continuous from. The traverse was great, very straight forward and safe.

Postby RJ_Denver » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:55 am

Did you guys do this?

Postby hberry » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:01 pm

I climbed Conundrum Coul - did the traverse to Castle and skied the NW Coul on Castle. If you have the time do this now - the snow is freakin' great. Read my conditions report of Conundrum for more info on skinning the road in the dark.

Previous