Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Spring Snowpack Observations Thread

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: Spring Snowpack Observations Thread

Postby llamaman » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:25 pm

tmathews wrote:
peter303 wrote:I like the coloured snow map here ftp://ftp-fc.sc.egov.usda.gov/CO/Snow/snow/watershed/daily/co_update_snow.pdf.
Its kind of weird. The north has record snow and the south borders the Texas drought.

Basin-wide averages have increased in the southern mountains (was down to 68% and 76% in the Rio Grande and San Juan Basins, respectively) in today's update. Remember to check the individual SNOTEL sites (linked in this thread) for localized information.

Most of southern colorado is still well below average, while northern colorado is generally well above average

snowpack4.27.jpg
snowpack4.27.jpg (186.1 KiB) Viewed 1590 times

Postby moneymike » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:51 pm

Good idea for a thread! I'd like to ski something steep this weekend but with all the new snow I'm not sure what (if anything) would be safe to ski. If anyone has any observations from around the state regarding the new storm snow, please update us.

Postby Snowgirl » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:34 pm

If anyone has information on whether or not the Crestones got any snow this week in this round of storms, could you post an update? We were hoping to hit some ski descents if any new snow fell, otherwise it would be a bit bare.
Such things for example as the grasp of a child's hand in your own, the flavor of an apple, the embrace of a friend or lover...sunlight on rock and leaves, the feel of music, the bark of a tree, the abrasion of granite and sand, the plunge of clear water into a pool, the face of the wind--- what else is there? What else do we need?
--Edward Abbey

Postby PowderHound » Sun May 01, 2011 8:46 pm

Does anyone have any recent beta on the snowpack and conditions around Telluride after the last few days of winter weather?
Fear causes hesitation, if you hesitate your biggest fears will be realized.

Postby moneymike » Wed May 11, 2011 6:07 pm

I skied pikes peak a few times this past week. Almost all of the skiable snow was dumped in two large storms this spring. Looked like there was only two layers with a melt-freeze crust interface. It seems to have transitioned to spring corn even on north aspects from treeline to 13k ft. I haven't seen the mountain today through the clouds, but it might have recieved a bit more snow last night. The snow's been melting out quickly, so get at it soon!

Postby tmathews » Thu May 12, 2011 10:29 am

Statewide overall basin snowpack is now over 1.5x of average after this last round of snow. Still below average in the San Juans and Rio Grande side of the Sangres.

ftp://ftp-fc.sc.egov.usda.gov/CO/Snow/snow/watershed/daily/co_update_snow.pdf

I read about the Tower SNOTEL site just east of Steamboat somewhere recently. It's snow depth sensors have not been working for awhile, but its SWE is reading 73.8". The Joe Wright SNOTEL site near Cameron Pass is reading a SWE of 49.2" at 113" of snow depth (if that's any indication) but the snow in the two locations may have different water contents.

Postby Carl » Thu May 12, 2011 10:50 am

Snowgirl wrote:If anyone has information on whether or not the Crestones got any snow this week in this round of storms, could you post an update? We were hoping to hit some ski descents if any new snow fell, otherwise it would be a bit bare.

Based on Bill's recent photo of Crestone Peak on the conditions page I'd say it looks promising for a ski descent. Appears to be more snow covered than a month ago when we hit it. Needle wasn't skiable then but now Humbolt and Lindsey appear to be and they were bare last month. If anyone goes I'd love to hear about conditions on the Needle. I'm thinking it might be in with all this recent snow.

Postby downhilldave » Thu May 12, 2011 12:28 pm

Great links here everyone, thanks for sharing.

This may be an dumb question but I'll go for it. Whats the rule for hiking/skinning up and skiing down run at resorts that are closed. I assume that its fine to do so since most are on national forest. What about for open ones, like Abasin. I have seen signs at time saying no uphill traffic... I guess they do welcome skiers skinning up the slopes at times?

Thanks for the insight.
'I look up to the hills, but where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord who made Heaven and Earth' Psalm 121:1-2

Postby Beachrodney » Thu May 12, 2011 4:00 pm

downhilldave wrote:Great links here everyone, thanks for sharing.

This may be an dumb question but I'll go for it. Whats the rule for hiking/skinning up and skiing down run at resorts that are closed. I assume that its fine to do so since most are on national forest. What about for open ones, like Abasin. I have seen signs at time saying no uphill traffic... I guess they do welcome skiers skinning up the slopes at times?

Thanks for the insight.

I skin up and ski a lap at the Jane before the lifts open almost every time I go there and nobody has ever said a word but for some reason I figured they wouldnt want you there after they close. Thats my guess but I really dont know, somebody on here may though.

Postby gonzalj » Thu May 12, 2011 9:09 pm

From what I've heard it is not a problem, because the ski resorts are on national forest land and that's why whenever people go to the mountain the buy a "lift ticket" and not "mountain ticket". I''ve heard that if someone wanted to snowshoe up them and not utilize the lifts, then it's fine during the season - so I wouldn't see why it would be a problem after the season's over and your skinning it.

Postby gsliva » Fri May 13, 2011 7:54 am

Independence pass may have a hard time opening next weekend!

http://www.aspendailynews.com/section/home/146870

Postby BoboKnickers » Fri May 13, 2011 8:25 am

Any recent "eyes on" the Longs Peak couloir/trough and Grays/Torreys peaks? Hoping to climb these the week of May 22nd and we are looking for snow conditions and avalanche potential for all three mtns.
But when I became a man, I traded in childish things for climbing gear.

PreviousNext