Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Cinnamon Pass/Grizzly Gulch

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: Cinnamon Pass/Grizzly Gulch

Postby hberry » Fri May 13, 2011 1:55 pm

I may be heading down there next weekend to ski if anyone is interested? Look for any of the following three: Redcloud, Sunshine, and/or Handies.

Postby Manky » Fri May 13, 2011 4:55 pm

hberry wrote:I may be heading down there next weekend to ski if anyone is interested? Look for any of the following three: Redcloud, Sunshine, and/or Handies.

I may be able to get after it next weekend-will have to check with the tribe. I have skied Redcloud and Handies, but am willing to do them again-still itching to ski Handies N. Face!
Everything has changed, is changing and will continue to change...

Location: Up high in the San Juan Mtns (Apr-Nov) and down by the beach in CA & HA (Nov-Apr)

Postby San Juan Ron » Fri May 13, 2011 5:01 pm

The gate was opened late last week to Silver Creek / Grizzly Gulch. The road was plowed to the AB turn off. SJ Ron

Postby Rastaman566 » Fri May 13, 2011 8:47 pm

San Juan Ron wrote:The gate was opened late last week to Silver Creek / Grizzly Gulch. The road was plowed to the AB turn off. SJ Ron

Chamber of commerce woman lied to me! Why would she do that? Unless... her info is super outdated!?

Postby fiddlinclimber » Sat May 14, 2011 8:50 am

Does anyone have an update as to how the most recent snow this week affected the pass? Still open to American Basin.

Thanks,
Jeff

Location: Up high in the San Juan Mtns (Apr-Nov) and down by the beach in CA & HA (Nov-Apr)

Postby San Juan Ron » Sat May 14, 2011 12:17 pm

I was up to the AB turnoff on Sunday and Monday and no problems. However, I left town on Tuesday and it did snow on Tuesday and Wednesday. Not sure if any changes due to weather. SJ Ron

Postby San Juan Ron » Sat May 14, 2011 12:33 pm

Attached are a few pics from the AB turnoff this past weekend. SJ Ron
Attachments
pics 013.JPG
My main squeeze with AB Crags
pics 013.JPG (163.36 KiB) Viewed 821 times
pics 009.JPG
Plowed Road By AB Turnoff
pics 009.JPG (180.64 KiB) Viewed 820 times
pics 011.JPG
AB Sign Buried in Snow
pics 011.JPG (172.5 KiB) Viewed 821 times
"The mountains are calling and I must go" -- Muir

Postby hberry » Tue May 17, 2011 8:38 am

Alright kids - who wants to ski this? I'm going to take Friday or Monday off if anyone is interested and head down that way for a few days. Would like to go this weekend or next - this trip report makes it look GOOD: http://www.zachtaylorsnowboarding.com/Handies-Peak.html

Would like to get Redcould Sunshine and Handies done.

Postby kansas » Tue May 17, 2011 9:12 am

hberry wrote:Alright kids - who wants to ski this?

Otina and I, Handies Saturday most likely.
"In the end, of course, it changed almost nothing. But I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams."
— Jon Krakauer

Postby Rastaman566 » Tue May 17, 2011 12:20 pm

Summitted Redcloud and Sunshine yesterday. Despite what the people in Lake City say, the road is open up to the Grizzly Gulch TH and in good condition.

Observations: There was a lot of snow up there. There were large wind slabs everywhere up there, and most easternly aspects had large cornices. Slide racks were visible below the easternly cornices and southern aspects (wet slides). Be especially careful on the Sunshine side of the Sunshine/Redcloud saddle. The large cornices there are hard to get around and they may become worse with the additional snow that we will be getting Wednesday-Thursday. Sounds like we won't have to worry too much about wet slide activity during this cold stretch thats coming up, but at the same time I wouldn't trust those cornices loaded with anymore snow. While I was on Sunshine I noticed that Handies looked particularly dangerous from Grizzly Gulch given it's eastern approach and all the large cornices I could see. The weather was fantastic Monday, but the wind did pick up later in the day. When I left the TH this morning it had been snowing for a couple hours already.

The plan was to hit Handies Tuesday morning then Uncompahgre Wed/Thur. After seeing Handies yesterday, I chose to scratch Handies from my plans and come down to Lake City and plan my Uncompahgre approach. Given the new weather conditions that I was just made aware of, plus the long approach up Nellie Creek, it doesn't look like Uncompahgre is in the cards, which sucks! Now I'm sitting here in Lake City trying to find something else to do...

Postby hberry » Tue May 17, 2011 12:27 pm

Sounds a bit dicey!

Postby Manky » Tue May 17, 2011 4:27 pm

Skied Uncompahgre on Sunday from the Matterhorn creek trailhead. Only able to drive about half a mile up the road until snow was encountered. Lot's of snow on the road with very little boot packing. Snow was mostly well consolidated and frozen well everywhere. East faces had run wet slides, mostly Wetterhorn's East face. Looks like the weather is going to turn nasty again for the next few days. Keep the snow coming and stay safe!
Everything has changed, is changing and will continue to change...

PreviousNext