Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Cinnamon Pass/Grizzly Gulch

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Cinnamon Pass/Grizzly Gulch

Postby fiddlinclimber » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:42 pm

Does anyone know the condition of the road from Lake City up to the Grizzly Gulch trail head? I have tried for the past few days to get in touch with the Hinsdale County Road and Bridge department, with no luck. I know that they start plowing in April, but this recent snow may have slowed them up a bit. I would sure like to hit up Handies this weekend! The snow and weather should be fantastic!

Re: Cinnamon Pass/Grizzly Gulch

Postby d_baker » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:44 pm

fiddlinclimber wrote:Does anyone know the condition of the road from Lake City up to the Grizzly Gulch trail head?

On April 5 it was still gated and locked where the road splits.

Postby Manky » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:46 pm

I always thought that they shot for Memorial Day weekend to have the high passes plowed. But I am sure this varies a little bit.
Everything has changed, is changing and will continue to change...

Postby FireOnTheMountain » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:04 pm

Dont forget we had above average winter for every basin basically except Rio Grande so that might affect it.
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the CO

Postby tmathews » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:08 pm

FireOnTheMountain wrote:Dont forget we had above average winter for every basin basically except Rio Grande so that might affect it.

The southern mountains didn't get it as bad. It's all been up north, really. I saw a graphic a day or two ago that had the Rio Grande Basin at 71% and the San Juan at like 84%.

Postby tmathews » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:03 pm

tmathews wrote:
FireOnTheMountain wrote:Dont forget we had above average winter for every basin basically except Rio Grande so that might affect it.

The southern mountains didn't get it as bad. It's all been up north, really. I saw a graphic a day or two ago that had the Rio Grande Basin at 71% and the San Juan at like 84%.

Here's a snowpack map that updates pretty much daily.

Location: Up high in the San Juan Mtns (Apr-Nov) and down by the beach in CA & HA (Nov-Apr)

Postby San Juan Ron » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:06 pm

They generally have the gates unlocked by late-April. However, there is no guarantee and the road is plowed and worked on from late-April through Memorial Day. Early May can mean a very rough road especially as you get closer to Grizzly Gulch. The road is "officially open" in late-May but "unoficially" you can get through in early-May. I will be there late next week and can give you a status report if you can wait until the end of next week. I sent you a PM......Ron :D
"The mountains are calling and I must go" -- Muir

Location: Up high in the San Juan Mtns (Apr-Nov) and down by the beach in CA & HA (Nov-Apr)

Postby San Juan Ron » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:15 pm

tmathews wrote:

The Slumguillion SNOTEL numbers are the most representative of the area around Grizzly Gulch and they have been running in the 105%-110% range most of the winter which is just about perfect, good precip/moisture, but NO Spring flooding.......SJ Ron :D

PS Next year they are adding a SNOTEL site up on Wager Gulch which should give improved numbers.
"The mountains are calling and I must go" -- Muir

Postby fiddlinclimber » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:06 pm

Thanks Ron. I got ahold of the Road and Bridge department a few days ago. They said that they will start working on Cinnamon Pass the week of May 1st. Barring large wet slides, they expect to have it open to Grizzly Gulch by the end of that week, or at the latest, the end of the second week of May.

Jeff

Postby Manky » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:25 pm

I was up there on Friday (4-22), and the road is plowed past Grizzly Gulch. I am not sure how far past, but a large parking area/pullout has been plowed at the trailhead. The trail up to RC and Sunshine is already melted out pretty good. I had to carry my skis until I got to good snow at about 11K. The snow above here is well consolidated and has morphed into a strong spring snowpack. The gate remains closed though...
Everything has changed, is changing and will continue to change...

Postby hberry » Mon May 02, 2011 2:13 pm

Anyone planning on skiing these within the next few weekend? I can take a Friday or Monday off and would like to bang out a few of these.

Postby Rastaman566 » Fri May 13, 2011 2:50 pm

Does anyone have any new status on this trailhead? Called Lake City Chamber of Commerce today and the woman seemed to think that it was gated at the CO Rd 30/CO Rd 35 turnoff, but this info could be dated.

Next