Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

6 day push - ski descents

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

6 day push - ski descents

Postby rmschmidt9 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:18 pm

I've got 6 days in the beginning of May to with which I'm planning to tackle a handful of summits with one partner. Neither of us have done a 14er before but are strong, smart and otherwise accomplished skiers and climbers. Excuse me for being frank here but we're not really interested in climbing anything we can't then ski from the top of. Ski descents only! What I'm hoping to get help with is putting together a good list of 4-6 peaks (with ski-able summits and/or 5 star must ski routes) that would make sense to try for in about a week. We would like to keep travel from climb to climb to a minimum but not worried about initial travel time from home to whichever range/area. I live in Boulder, my partner, in Avon, but again we're basically willing to make this happen anywhere in CO. Thanks ya'll.

Happy hunting.

Re: 6 day push - ski descents

Postby Carl » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:27 pm

North Maroon, South Maroon, Thunder Pyramid, & Pyramid would fit the bill. Maybe add Castle and Conundrum.

Postby Oman » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:14 pm

Wesley wrote:North Maroon, South Maroon, Thunder Pyramid, & Pyramid would fit the bill. Maybe add Castle and Conundrum.

Six days, six peaks in the Elks -- why go so easy? Ski Pyramid in the morning, do Thunder Pyramid after lunch, and add Capitol as a day trip!

Postby Carl » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:42 pm

Oman wrote:
Wesley wrote:North Maroon, South Maroon, Thunder Pyramid, & Pyramid would fit the bill. Maybe add Castle and Conundrum.

Six days, six peaks in the Elks -- why go so easy? Ski Pyramid in the morning, do Thunder Pyramid after lunch, and add Capitol as a day trip!

It would make more sense to ski Thunder Pyramid first :D

Seriously though, scratch Thunder Pyramid from my original plan and you have 5 great ski descents, which you could spread out over 4 days, plus 2 rest days. Day 1 bike the approach, drop the overnight gear, then ski North Maroon. Day 2 ski South Maroon from your camp near Maroon Lake. Day 3 rest day. Day 4 Pyramid then head to Aspen. Day 5 rest day in Aspen. Day 6 ski Castle and Conundrum from the TH. Ambitious but doable for a "strong and accomplished" team, assuming of course ideal weather.

Postby Papillon » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:58 pm

Wesley wrote:Seriously though, scratch Thunder Pyramid from my original plan...

Come on, Wesley... Just because a peak doesn't hit 14K doesn't mean the frauleins at the office won't talk to you on Monday morning. :D

Besides, you and your crew would be nice additions to the centennial circuit.
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs

Postby bckcntryskr » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:23 pm

ambitious and impressive list. Carl and crew could cover. The rest may want waffles for breakfast to keep up. :P
Did I mention that "I hate postholing"

Postby Carl » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:43 pm

Not sure I could pull off a trip like the one I suggested but I'd sure like to try. Mmmmm waffles.

Postby barrows » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:50 am

If you are heading to the Elks, you should definitely add the North Face Couloirs on LaPlata to your list. One of the best 14er descents, direct summit drop in, and fantastic skiing-steep enough to be great skiing, but a "warm up" for more serious descents (like Castle, N. Maroon, Pyramid). You can drive from Bouder to LaPlata in the evening and bivy at the TH, climb and ski the following morning, and then head to Aspen. IMO, LaPlata's N Face couloirs are a five/five star descent for sure.

Postby SchralpTheGnar » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:57 pm

Can't go wrong with the elks, just try not to drop your skis.