Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Spring 14er Skiing 2011

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: Spring 14er Skiing 2011

Postby Chicago Transplant » Mon May 02, 2011 3:50 pm

Snowmobiles are out for Tigiwon as well, its all motorized vehicles from May 1 - June 20 for Elk Calving. I guess the engines freak them out?
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Mon May 02, 2011 4:00 pm

Too bad since there won't be much elk calving there any time soon. This closure is kinda goofy since hundreds (thousands?) of Colorado FS roads are open during the elk "birthing" season. The elk probably aren't bothered much by vehicles on a road like that and I think the FS simply uses that line so they don't have to worry about opening the road, which costs money. I used to see them give birth in my backyard in Evergreen and they didn't seem to care much, even when I fired up the lawnmower. Coyotes are probably the biggest concern for elk cows and their calves, not cars.

Of course I say this without having done too much research on the Division of Wildlife (DOW) elk survey info in the area and the general elk migration habits in that area. I really should call the DOW to see what type of arrangement they have with the FS regarding this issue and ask how this decision was made.

If there's anyone on the forum that works at the DOW and has some authority on this issue, I'm all ears.

Every year I cringe when I'm reminded of this closure. :roll:
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby Carl » Mon May 02, 2011 9:30 pm

Picked up this gem for $30 on the way home from work. Now just have to wait for the road to melt.

Postby hberry » Tue May 03, 2011 6:48 am

Carl wrote:Picked up this gem for $30 on the way home from work. Now just have to wait for the road to melt.

Nice skis! I picked up a pair of Surface Watchlife this year.

Looks like I need to get a mountain bike and a burly next year for this road.

Postby SchralpTheGnar » Tue May 03, 2011 7:13 pm

When is the best estimated that the Tigiwon road will melt out by? From the recent TR it seemed like there was still a ton of snow, but does that road melt out quick? We're probably going up it regardless memorial day weekend, but I was just curious what to expect the approach to be like. The 10 day forecast looks seasonable. Would it be reasonable to expect that road to be snow free by the 28th?

Postby Chicago Transplant » Wed May 04, 2011 8:27 am

SchralpTheGnar wrote:When is the best estimated that the Tigiwon road will melt out by? From the recent TR it seemed like there was still a ton of snow, but does that road melt out quick? We're probably going up it regardless memorial day weekend, but I was just curious what to expect the approach to be like. The 10 day forecast looks seasonable. Would it be reasonable to expect that road to be snow free by the 28th?

Its a tough call, the road is not really that visible from the area. You can see part of it lower down as you drive from Minturn towards Leadville, and I have plans in the Sawatch on the 15th. I should be able to see if at least the lower part is melted out at that time. The trailhead is at 10,300, which is similar in elevation to the top of the Centennial Chair at Beaver Creek, which I can see from town. BC is of course more "open" because of the ski slopes, but they also make snow and probably have a pretty deep snowpack. As Memorial Day gets closer I can give a best estimate of where the snowline is on Beaver Creek which may be helpful in estimating as well.

The last section of the Tigiwon Road is heavily forested, however, so I would expect it to have snow. I have been up near Missouri Lakes that time of year at hit some snow on the road at 10k, so with this being such a heavy snow year, I would expect the last mile or two of Tigiwon to still be snow covered, or patchy snow, on the 28th.

Postby mitrik » Tue May 10, 2011 8:00 am

Snow getting sparse in the Sangre de Cristo, see photo of Blanca from this last weekend
LittleBearBlanca300K.jpg
Blanca, and Little Bear
LittleBearBlanca300K.jpg (150.95 KiB) Viewed 959 times

Postby tmathews » Tue May 10, 2011 8:03 am

mitrik wrote:Snow getting sparse in the Sangre de Cristo, see photo of Blanca from this last weekend
LittleBearBlanca300K.jpg

Sangres are under a Winter Storm Warning. They might be getting up to a foot of new snow through Wednesday night.

Postby Chicago Transplant » Mon May 16, 2011 8:27 am

Update for Holy Cross, driving over US 24 I could see the lower part of the road, I doubt even the first mile of it is dry, you can get a good look at the meadows the road crosses at 8600' and they were all snowed over, after that the road goes into the trees but keeps the same aspect. I highly doubt a mountain bike would help much just yet. Maybe with some warmer weather that will change by Memorial Day, but right now I would say the bike would be pretty worthless. We still have a ton of snow up here, none of the roads in Camp Hale are even melted out yet.

Postby moneymike » Sun May 29, 2011 10:16 am

I'm thinking of doing a monday approach and tuesday descent of N. Maroon. If anyone wants to join, send me a pm.

Postby moneymike » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:01 pm

Anyone up for skiing Maroon peak (South Maroon) this weekend?

Postby moneymike » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:56 pm

Weather/conditions permitting, would anyone be interested in doing Holy cross on the 11th/12th?

Previous