Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Big a*s avi in East Vail today

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Big a*s avi in East Vail today

Postby davebks » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:42 pm

hi there, just thought I'd post this info in case you were thinking of skiing East Vail, or anything in the BC right now.
There was a massive avalanche reported in East Vail this morning. No shocker here.
My buddy sent me this: Parts of abrahams, all of marvins, joint point, pretty much all of it went down to the bench. All of the fresh snow down to the sun crust.

Be safe out there! [-X

Site Administrator

Re: Big a*s avi in East Vail today

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:47 pm

Wow. Maybe someone will have a pic of it.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby davebks » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:01 pm

So far the CAIC hasn't posted much, just what is on the friends of the CAIC page on facebook. There were 5 skiers out there but they are all safe as far as we know. No other notes of anyone else being involved. So that's good news.

Postby Elliot » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:24 pm

Marvin’s ran class 4 today, from ricks run all the way skiers left across the bowl. Snow slid on sun crust, about a 2 ft crown. The slide ran full length with a large debris pile. Skier 1 skied down to a safe spot at the bench on skiers right, triggering some small crowns on rollovers, skier 1 let the rest of the party know of this instability on the sun crust. Skier 2 skied down to skier 1's safe spot, triggering the avalanche that propagated across the bowl. The slide slid over the cliff bands for about a min. I could then see the crown was the width of the bowl. Skiers 3, 4 and 5 then skied safely down. Pics of the slide didn’t come out well do to poor visibility.

Postby davebks » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:27 pm

Thanks for the info! Glad everyone made it out safe and sound. Also glad everyone approached this in a safe manner. EV can be a zoo but there are very safe ways to ski it.

Postby ap snow » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:45 pm

Yep, I heard about this... Wow, I ski Marvins all the time and just skied CDC 2 days ago... Pretty glad I made the call to sit EV out today. I will get some pictures tomorrow!