Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Dreaded Dust Layer

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: Dreaded Dust Layer

Postby semitrueskerm » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:34 pm

Been blowing hard and steady here in New Mexico that last four days. Big dust haze on Monday & Tuesday. Tumbleweed in downtown Albuquerque, etc. The Windy season has arrived. Spring is here.

Postby PKelley » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:40 am

I spent several hours surveying the highcountry snowpack today, and the dust layer is bad again in the San Juans. There is some fresh snow covering the main dust event, but the new snow is not thick enough to slow the accelerated melting caused by the dust. To make things worse, there appeared to be more dust coming in today. Good for hikers, bad for spring skiers.
The Dalai Lama when asked what surprised him most about humanity:
“Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”

Postby Doug Shaw » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:10 am

Face it folks, this is the new norm. Everything old is new again. Learning from our mistakes is sooo 20th-century!

Postby Jesse Peterson » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:09 pm

Bummer to hear about the San Juans. I remember skiing Silverton last April when the snow surface was basically mud, creeks were raging, and wet slides coming down from all aspects. Hard to imagine all of the ecological repercussions from this phenomenon in a land where life depends so precariously on the winter snowpack.

It's good to hear that many parts of the state did not recieve much dust from this last storm, especially the CB area. Of course, there will certainly be more windy storms from the southwest this spring, but the dust events depend on a lot of environmental factors and hopefully those play out more favorably this season than last.

Any reports from the Gores, Steamboat, or Flattops? How is the current storm playing out in the San Juans?
"As for mountains, there are mountains hidden in jewels, there are mountains hidden in marshes, mountains hidden in the sky; there are mountains hidden in mountains. There is a study of mountains hidden in hiddenness." Dogen Kigen , Mountains and Rivers Sutra

Postby bckcntryskr » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:07 pm

Was in the Sawatch and Gore ove the last few days. No dust in either.
Did I mention that "I hate postholing"

Postby shaunster_co » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:54 am

I have always been in the school of thought that you can't wax for snirt, although usually I carry a cold wax if the dust layer is bad - near as I can tell it does not make a difference. Just curious, has anyone found anything that at least mitigates skiing or boarding on a dust layer?

Postby Snowgirl » Mon May 30, 2011 7:54 am

What is the status of the San Juans after the last couple days? Is there a new dust event?
Such things for example as the grasp of a child's hand in your own, the flavor of an apple, the embrace of a friend or lover...sunlight on rock and leaves, the feel of music, the bark of a tree, the abrasion of granite and sand, the plunge of clear water into a pool, the face of the wind--- what else is there? What else do we need?
--Edward Abbey

Postby bckcntryskr » Mon May 30, 2011 8:18 am

Did I mention that "I hate postholing"

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Mon May 30, 2011 8:22 am

shaunster_co wrote:I have always been in the school of thought that you can't wax for snirt, although usually I carry a cold wax if the dust layer is bad - near as I can tell it does not make a difference. Just curious, has anyone found anything that at least mitigates skiing or boarding on a dust layer?

Nope

And it eats up skins, too.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby Mark A Steiner » Mon May 30, 2011 8:26 am

This has been one of the windiest springs I can recall in desert north of Phoenix. Between Flagstaff and Gallup along I-40 that translates into blowing dust. What a revealing aerial photograph.

I have a travel date west Thursday the 2nd. I will be checking for snow coloration over Monarch and Lizard Head Passes and will check snow coloration of the Wilson Group and other nearby peaks.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Good day.

Postby PKelley » Mon May 30, 2011 9:18 am

It was definitely hazy in the San Juans yesterday, and it rained last night. I am sure that there is new dust on the snowpack. The March event had been pretty buried, but will be coming out to play soon I'm afraid.
The Dalai Lama when asked what surprised him most about humanity:
“Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”

Postby Rcizzle » Mon May 30, 2011 9:35 am

HUGE dust storm in Grand Junction yesterday. I would imagine the western mountains got something from this yesterday.
Bad decisions make good stories.

PreviousNext