Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Conditions Of Dead Dog Couloir

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Conditions Of Dead Dog Couloir

Postby i mares » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:08 pm

I am looking to get a decent down Dead Dog this upcoming weekend and am wondering if anyone has done this recently? If so, how are the conditions and what should I watch out for? If anyone has any info on how to find current conditions or trip reports that would be helpful as well.
Thanks

Re: Conditions Of Dead Dog Couloir

Postby Kevin Baker » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:57 pm

March is usually too early for n.e. facing aspects to be in good shape, although there are exceptions. I wouldn't get on it until late April or early May.
Always do what you are afraid to do. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Postby Snowgirl » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:58 pm

Ah, the spring conditions of Dead Dog. It must be March.

First:
http://avalanche.state.co.us/pub_bc_avo.php?zone_id=1

Second, if there isn't a TR here, SummitPost, TTips, TGR Forums... then it probably hasn't been skied yet. Of course, there might be people who have been climbing in the area and could give you some info... but it is a little bit early (in my humble opinion) to be out on that line. Be safe. Good luck.
Such things for example as the grasp of a child's hand in your own, the flavor of an apple, the embrace of a friend or lover...sunlight on rock and leaves, the feel of music, the bark of a tree, the abrasion of granite and sand, the plunge of clear water into a pool, the face of the wind--- what else is there? What else do we need?
--Edward Abbey

Postby Bean » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:22 pm

I'd give it a little more time. Aside from dying, you'll piss off a lot of people who want to ski it this spring if it rips to the ground.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby caverdude » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:40 am

Hey, are there any good snow climbs that you can do in March? When does Cristo couloir typically come into good condition?

Postby JohnWilliams » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:42 am

Hit up the Trough on Longs, just did it last saturday, fun and safe
-I tend to be a Longs Peak nerd. If you have questions about the Longs Peak Massif please, feel free to ask.

But at times I wondered if I had not come a long way only to find that what I really sought was something I had left behind-Tom Hornbein

And this time you gave me a mountain. A mountain I may never climb-Marty Robbins

Postby viejo » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:00 pm

Re: Trough...
Forecast on Long's is calling for 2-4" today, 8-12" tonight, winds gusting to 40mph Friday.

Point being what was fun and safe last Saturday might not be so safe this Saturday.

If you're going to play in the snow, you are responsible for your own evaluation of safety conditions. Things change constantly.

Information given on a forum may or may not be good information, and even the most reliable information can be invalidated with changing conditions.

Postby caverdude » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:05 pm

Sounds like it might be a good Grizzly Peak ridge climbing weekend....except for the windchill!

Postby COBuckeye » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:02 pm

caverdude wrote:When does Cristo couloir typically come into good condition?

While I do not know the answer to this, I did ski the east face of Quandary on 3/13 with ossie312, benners, and lordhelmut and the conditions were great. Before heading to the east face, benners and lordhelmut skied a few hundred vert in the Cristo and ended up booting back up to the summit because it wasn't in. May need to wait for a big, warm, March snow.
"...cause I got changed by what I've been shown, more glory than the world has known, keeps me ramblin' on..." - Josh Garrels (Farther Along)

Postby lordhelmut » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:18 pm

COBuckeye wrote:
caverdude wrote:When does Cristo couloir typically come into good condition?

While I do not know the answer to this, I did ski the east face of Quandary on 3/13 with ossie312, benners, and lordhelmut and the conditions were great. Before heading to the east face, benners and lordhelmut skied a few hundred vert in the Cristo and ended up booting back up to the summit because it wasn't in. May need to wait for a big, warm, March snow.

Like COBuckeye said, the Cristo is far from being in, it was shark fin boulder mania on the top half of the line, so like he said, we climbed back up to the summit and skied some really nice freshly deposited powder on the East Face. I guess we should've done our research on the Cristo, since there are very few reports on this line this time of year, if any at all. This is an above average snow year and with the solid CAIC report, we figured it'd be in a little early. But it wasn't. Cristo is a spingtime-only line I guess. I'd wait till mid April to hit the one.

Postby bckcntryskr » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:05 pm

Not sure what happened to the OP. Hope he got out for something good, just not as spicy as envisioned. Saw many natural and wet slides in summit Co today. Hit the Cristo last May (was in nice). Hit the dead dog the year before in May. Best to hit those lines a little later. Good luck. Happy lines out there.
Did I mention that "I hate postholing"