Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

BEST place to ski and ride

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: BEST place to ski and ride

Postby its_not_a_tuba » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:01 pm

outsidemike wrote:I just skied the best three this weekend in one amazing Tour de Colorado with ridiculous light powder at all 3. I would highly recommend the loop- well worth it.

1. Silverton
2. Crested Butte
3. Wolf Creek

+1. I did this last year and it was awesome. We also hit Monarch on the way out which has become another of my favorite mountains when I am in the area.
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson

Postby fleetmack » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:52 pm

Bean wrote:I think you're forgetting about Keystone.

Praying this isn't sarcasm. That place is heaven on earth. (couldn't be more dead serious)

Based only on where I've been (which is most everywhere in CO except Telluride and Silverton, and in 3 different countries, as well as a few of the Tahoe resorts)
1) Keystone
2) Zermatt, Switzerland
3) Wolf Creek

Ones I'd bet/estimate are right up there: Whistler/Blacomb .... Andermatt, Switzerland
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor

Postby Beachrodney » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:08 pm

Any mountain without a lift and 5000 gumps! I think Keystone misses on both! =D>

Postby Tim Jordan » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:46 pm

Mary Jane

Postby lordhelmut » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:26 pm

Keystone is a gaper tractor beam

Postby Bean » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:26 pm

fleetmack wrote:
Bean wrote:I think you're forgetting about Keystone.

Praying this isn't sarcasm. That place is heaven on earth. (couldn't be more dead serious)

Oh yeah, I'm totally serious. Great snow - more and better quality than anywhere else in the area, tons of great terrain options, no crowds, and the gnarliest run I've ever been on, River Run. Everyone should go to Keystone.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby 14erdude83 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:33 pm

lordhelmut wrote:Keystone is a gaper tractor beam

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I agree, that also goes for Vail, Breck, Aspen, Winter Park

Postby 14erdude83 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:34 pm

Hacksaw wrote:I think that if you haven't actually skied somewhere you shouldn't post that you think its "the BEST" place to ski/ride.

lol, well since assumptions arent allowed i will retract my staements about alaska and the Las Salles....sorry bro didnt mean to offend you or take this thread off track at all......my bad :lol:

Postby Carl » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:44 pm

14erdude83 wrote:
Hacksaw wrote:I think that if you haven't actually skied somewhere you shouldn't post that you think its "the BEST" place to ski/ride.

lol, well since assumptions arent allowed i will retract my staements about alaska and the Las Salles....sorry bro didnt mean to offend you or take this thread off track at all......my bad :lol:

I'm sticking with my assumption that an average day of heli-boat skiing in Alaska is better than an average day at any of the resorts listed in this thread, even Keystone. If after skiing 50 degree powder covered spines in a heli all day with a few friends, I determine that I'm wrong, I will make sure to edit my post while enjoying a fine scotch and the catch-of-the-day on our private yacht.

Postby 14erdude83 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:47 pm

Wesley wrote:
14erdude83 wrote:

I'm sticking with my assumption that an average day of heli-boat skiing in Alaska is better than an average day at any of the resorts listed in this thread, even Keystone. If after skiing 50 degree powder covered spines in a heli all day with a few friends, I determine that I'm wrong, I will make sure to edit my post while enjoying a fine scotch and the catch-of-the-day on our private yacht.

50 degree powder spines would blow dude, dont even waste your time ... who would want to do that?!?!? ](*,)

Postby lordhelmut » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:55 pm

14erdude83 wrote:
lordhelmut wrote:Keystone is a gaper tractor beam

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I agree, that also goes for Vail, Breck, Aspen, Winter Park

WP = GTB
MJ = not

Buttermilk = GTB
Highlands = not

(gtb = gaper tractor beam).

Carl - when you hit the power ball, I'll be expecting an invite to this heli-extranaganza with fine glasses of scotch, pontoon skis, hookers, etc. Lets keep it within the realm of reality though.

Postby dubsho3000 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:16 pm

Copper has the best "naturally divided terrain" (since "best" has not been defined)

Keystone has the best backcountry/fitness training ground. Once you avoid the GTB, and go for a little hike, you'll have the whole place to yourself. Good skiing, great views, relatively safe.

I take it back, Keystone has nothing to offer.

How about best glades for cruising? I'll take Sunlight, althought the runs aren't long enough.

PreviousNext