Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

BEST place to ski and ride

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: BEST place to ski and ride

Postby elevationcelebration » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:06 pm

Alta. Not Snowbird. Alta.

Postby 14erdude83 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:16 pm

its_not_a_tuba wrote:For Colorado I'd order them:

1) Telluride
2) Silverton
3) Crested Butte
4) Wolf Creek

For the Front Range I like A-Basin.

I can see Silverton being ahead of CB, but Telluride? I dont get it, Telluride doesnt have the steeps....and i dont see telluride being ahead of silverton either.....

In my opinion this is how that list should read:

1)Silverton
2)Crested Butte
3)Scarp Ridge/Ruby Range
4)Telluride
5)A-Basin

Postby 14erdude83 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:18 pm

tylermacguire wrote:
Wesley wrote:
tylermacguire wrote:I would have thought Alaska by helicopter would have been stated over and over again in this thread. Am I really the only one who day dreams of lapping steep shower curtain spines all day?

Now you're talking! Although I was thinking Alaska by helicopter and private boat http://www.alaskaheliski.com/experience/heli-ski-cruise/

I knew I was forgeting something :oops:

100% I agree

Postby 14erdude83 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:26 pm

14erdude83 wrote:

1) Telluride
2) Silverton
3) Crested Butte
4) Wolf Creek

I can see Silverton being ahead of CB, but Telluride? I dont get it, Telluride doesnt have the steeps....and i dont see telluride being ahead of silverton either.....

1)Silverton
2)Crested Butte
3)Scarp Ridge/Ruby Range
4)Telluride
5)A-Basin

Please allow me to correct myself, Telluride does have steeps....just not as fun as CB's Terrain....also Red Mtn Pass should be in A-basin's Spot along with Mt. Owens taking over tellurides spot and Mt. Axtel and Carbon being added to that list....havent done much skiing elsewhere but like i said in my last thread Alaska Heli skiing would probably make the top of the list, not probably, it just would....i would think :-k

Also the La Salle's look very fun but i havent shredded them yet so i cant comment quite this early, ill let you guys know in April :mrgreen:

Postby Hacksaw » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:16 pm

I think that if you haven't actually skied somewhere you shouldn't post that you think its "the BEST" place to ski/ride.
"True love is much easier to find with a helicopter."

Postby darkhelmet1983 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:58 pm

I second Silverton and A-Basin.

Postby its_not_a_tuba » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:45 pm

14erdude83 wrote:
14erdude83 wrote:

1) Telluride
2) Silverton
3) Crested Butte
4) Wolf Creek

1)Silverton
2)Crested Butte
3)Scarp Ridge/Ruby Range
4)Telluride
5)A-Basin

Please allow me to correct myself, Telluride does have steeps....just not as fun as CB's Terrain....also Red Mtn Pass should be in A-basin's Spot along with Mt. Owens taking over tellurides spot and Mt. Axtel and Carbon being added to that list....havent done much skiing elsewhere but like i said in my last thread Alaska Heli skiing would probably make the top of the list, not probably, it just would....i would think :-k

Also the La Salle's look very fun but i havent shredded them yet so i cant comment quite this early, ill let you guys know in April :mrgreen:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing CB, I love that mountain & the town. Silverton and Telluride both have their steeps, Telluride just has a town I would like to live in. Oh, and Telluride definitely has steeps:
Attachments
200604_SanJoaquin02.jpg
200604_SanJoaquin02.jpg (95.04 KiB) Viewed 521 times
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson

Postby board4pow » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:13 am

I dont know about Scarp Ridge :? but my list would go

1. Silverton
2. Crested Butte
3. Telluride
4. Ski Cooper
5. A-basin

-i had to put in a word for Ski Cooper, the town is great, awesome people, and a great, fun, remote mountain.........

(views are amzing!!!!!!!!) :D :D

Postby 14erdude83 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:02 am

Also the La Salle's look very fun but i havent shredded them yet so i cant comment quite this early, ill let you guys know in April :mrgreen:[/quote]

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing CB, I love that mountain & the town. Silverton and Telluride both have their steeps, Telluride just has a town I would like to live in. Oh, and Telluride definitely has steeps:[/quote]

that indeed would qualify as steep...lol

Im just sort of bias since i live in CB year round ......me personally i would never live in telluride, cant stand most of the locals, not saying they are all upity and snobby, just not my type of ski town/people i suppose.....great mountain though!

Postby lordhelmut » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:35 am

Obviously a lot of bias going on here. TRide and the Butte are pretty much the same thing, one in the Elks, the other in the San Juans. Both have great BC access, both have steep terrain, same amount of annual average snow, both have a much nicer historical feel to the town than say Aspen or Vail and more aesthetically pleasing and both are off the beaten path with a separate actual town and resort town (Mt.CB and Mtn Village). TRide is 2x as big, bout the only considerable difference I can think of, less crowds (probably the least in the lower 48) and is 2x as far from Front Range.

I will say, from an inbounds standpoint, TRide has better coverage (from rocks) and is easier to get around the mountain. Doing "laps" on the t-bars at CB is an arduous task and time consuming. I've only been to CB 4 times, 2 of those were early and late season, but TRide probably over 10, so maybe I'm being bias. Both great, classic Colorado mountain towns.

Postby 14erdude83 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:46 am

lordhelmut wrote:Obviously a lot of bias going on here. TRide and the Butte are pretty much the same thing, one in the Elks, the other in the San Juans. Both have great BC access, both have steep terrain, same amount of annual average snow, both have a much nicer historical feel to the town than say Aspen or Vail and more aesthetically pleasing and both are off the beaten path with a separate actual town and resort town (Mt.CB and Mtn Village). TRide is 2x as big, bout the only considerable difference I can think of, less crowds (probably the least in the lower 48) and is 2x as far from Front Range.

I will say, from an inbounds standpoint, TRide has better coverage (from rocks) and is easier to get around the mountain. Doing "laps" on the t-bars at CB is an arduous task and time consuming. I've only been to CB 4 times, 2 of those were early and late season, but TRide probably over 10, so maybe I'm being bias. Both great, classic Colorado mountain towns.

I totally agree with you view on the T-bar situation 100%, that is about the only thing i dislike about Mt. CB, if you want to hit teo bowl you have to ski all the back down to the base area/Silver Queen, as far as coverage, and maybe this is just this year but i have never seen coverage like this in cb minus the 07-08 season when we eclipsed the 400 inch mark for snow.

Never the less both mountains are a blast!

Postby outsidemike » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:48 am

I just skied the best three this weekend in one amazing Tour de Colorado with ridiculous light powder at all 3. I would highly recommend the loop- well worth it.

1. Silverton
2. Crested Butte
3. Wolf Creek
"A climber's day always starts at the crux: getting out of bed."

PreviousNext