Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

end of season ski gear

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

end of season ski gear

Postby Yikes » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:38 pm

Does anyone know how much discount is typical at end of season for BC ski equipment?

25% or more?

Hate to pay retail. Trying to prep myself for making an educated purchase. Thx!

Re: end of season ski gear

Postby Jim Davies » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:12 pm

The more esoteric stuff (telemark and AT bindings, etc.) might not go on sale at all, just mass-market stuff. But you'll still need skis to put those bindings on, of course, and sometimes they're pretty cheap come March. You can get used rental/demo skis for a song sometimes at the big places like Colorado Ski & Golf, like 75% off or more.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby coloradokevin » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:29 pm

It seems to me that you'll usually find a deal on less popular items, which may or may not work for your purposes. Although I'm sure that some deals have been found in the past, I've not typically found end-of-season discounts on Dynafit bindings, or very popular boots (save for very strange sizes).

As a personal example here, when I put together my first quasi-AT setup I bought a Naxo binding for $230, which was deeply discounted at the time. It wasn't as popular as the Fritschi Freeride binding, and the Freeride binding was not on sale. I also bought a pair of skis that had been lingering on the shelf at Neptune for quite some time, and were definitely not that year's model (paid less than $100 new for the skis). I then found a set of G3 skins at REI on clearance for $89. For a few seasons I skied with this setup using only my downhill alpine boots (heavy). Total price for this clearance package was about $419, give or take a few bucks. Not bad for an AT setup with new equipment (save for my boots), but definitely not an ideal package for the type of long tours I like to do.

Another way you might save some money is to look for the 20% off sales that pop up from time to time. As you likely already know, REI does a one-item 20% off sale a few times each year, and you could put your setup together one piece at a time with these sales.

Bentgate has also been known to run a great 20% off sale, though I don't know how often they do these, or how well they advertise them (I heard about the last one via word-of-mouth while shopping at the store in Golden, as I often do). Bentgate didn't have a limit to the number of items you could buy with the discount, though there were a few items excluded from the sale. Nevertheless, I put together my current AT setup during one of these sales at the end of 2010: Scarpa Maestrale boot ($479 after discount), Rossignol BC 125 skis ($279 after discount), and a Dynafit TLT ST binding ($319 with discount). I'm still using my old G3 skins with this setup. My total price came to $1,077, which doesn't sound cheap by any stretch of the imagination; ski stuff never is. But, I still saved over $270 off of the retail price of this equipment.

Good luck finding a bargain! BC ski gear is ridiculously priced, but oh-so-fun to use. I still have my snowshoes (which I bought for just $250), but I haven't had an occasion to want to use them since I put together my current ski setup.

Postby Bean » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:48 pm

coloradokevin wrote:As you likely already know, REI does a one-item 20% off sale a few times each year, and you could put your setup together one piece at a time with these sales.

FYI, the REI 20%-off-one-item doesn't apply to skis, boots, or bindings.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby coloradokevin » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:02 pm

Bean wrote:
coloradokevin wrote:As you likely already know, REI does a one-item 20% off sale a few times each year, and you could put your setup together one piece at a time with these sales.

FYI, the REI 20%-off-one-item doesn't apply to skis, boots, or bindings.

Strange... they told me that it did when I was trying on some AT boots during the last sale. I ended up buying at Bentgate, so I never found out for sure. I just always assumed that REI's discount worked on ski stuff, based upon the claims of the boot fitter I spoke with (who, admittedly, appeared to be a new guy).

Anyway, thanks for the correction if I was wrong about that. Either way, I do know that Bentgate will apply their discount to skis when they have such sales (at least based on the skis, boots, and bindings I've purchased within the past year).