Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Snowboarder Missing off Berthoud

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Snowboarder Missing off Berthoud

Postby colokeith » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:11 am

Edited to provide link to More detailed story
http://www.skyhidailynews.com/article/20110118/NEWS/110119925/1079&ParentProfile=1067

Poor dude must have had one rough night. I hope he is found soon!!
Last edited by colokeith on Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson

Re: Snowboarder Missing off Berthoud

Postby tmathews » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:16 am

colokeith wrote:http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=176235&catid=339

Poor dude must have had one rough night. I hope he is found soon!!

Hopefully a rough night is all he had! beachrodney said CDOT told him all three chutes of Stanley slid on their own.

Postby gonzalj » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:25 am

I hope the guys ok and hope the rescuers find him soon and props to all the volunteers rescuers for the amazing service that you do.

Postby tmathews » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:12 pm

Looks like his name has been released
Search and rescue crews in Grand County went out at 8 a.m. Tuesday to look for 26-year-old Jeffrey Miller and his dog, the Grand County Sheriff's Office said. Miller is from the Winter Park/Fraser area.

Hope he's okay....

Postby coloradokevin » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:33 am

The latest news article I read on this issue didn't paint a great picture... almost sounds as if he might have been caught in a slide while descending:

9news wrote:Grand County Sheriff Rod Johnson says Miller, his dog and a friend were snowboarding on Berthoud Pass. Johnson says Miller and his friend were snowboarding from the parking lot at the top of Berthoud Pass down to the first switchback on the west side. As the two passed an area known as the Fingers, there was a small snow slide.

The friend says he looked back, saw Miller and the dog, and proceeded down a short way further. When the friend looked back a second time, Johnson says the dog and Miller had disappeared. Johnson says the friend continued down to the bottom of the hill and then rode the same path down the hill two more times looking for Miller, but couldn't find him.

Either way, he surely had a VERY rough night if he is alive out there. Wind gusts hit nearly 100 mph up on Loveland the night that he disappeared, and mixed with blowing snow and cold temps it would have been a very tense survival situation if he wasn't properly equipped for a bivy event.

Hopefully everything turns out alright, and I hope that the news just missed the mark in reporting this situation.

Here's the link to the story I quoted above:

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=176433&catid=188

Postby Magnum420 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:00 am

He went missing on Monday, so last night was the second night he(and his dog) have been missing. Snow has covered any tracks that rescuers might have been able to follow. I know some people going out there to search today, good luck!!
"I was high on life till I realized it was cut with idiots!" ---Anon---

Postby peter303 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:24 am

I hope he found soon.

But didnt he read the avy reports or look outside at the weather and snow conditions?
Its been ultra-dangerous for several days.
Why should SAR teams spend lots of resources rescuing fools?

Postby hatidua » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:51 am

This certainly brings to memory the recent thread on what bivy items people carry for unplanned nights out.

Postby tmathews » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:02 am

peter303 wrote:Why should SAR teams spend lots of resources rescuing fools?

Everyone does foolish things. Should this guy's payment for making a mistake be his life? No second chances? Some of the most important lessons learned in life are the ones we learn after mistakes have been made. I certainly have learned a few that way.

He is someone's son, maybe brother/uncle/husband/father and surely a friend. He could have an important role in the lives or futures of others -- an engineer or a medical student. Have a little respect for that, at least.

Postby kansas » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:13 am

peter303 wrote:I hope he found soon.

But didnt he read the avy reports or look outside at the weather and snow conditions?
Its been ultra-dangerous for several days.
Why should SAR teams spend lots of resources rescuing fools?

How about we save the armchair quarterbacking and judging via hindsight until we have some solid details, seriously, none of us have any clue as to what actually happened or the risks he might have taken. I'm sure you have never done anything that others would consider "foolish".

For now I'm just going to sit back and hope he is found safe.
"In the end, of course, it changed almost nothing. But I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams."
— Jon Krakauer

Postby CO Native » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:15 pm

peter303 wrote:Why should SAR teams spend lots of resources rescuing fools?

For the same reason that they'd spend lots of resources to rescue you, you Jackwagon.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby MUni Rider » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:31 pm

peter303 wrote:.....Why should SAR teams spend lots of resources rescuing fools?

If i pass you on the trail, I apologize in advance for the bump and small cut on your forehead after some guy who looks exactly like me just tripped you unexpectedly and you smacked the ground hard. I hope you brought band-aids, you pampous a**hole. Please excuse my pointing and laughing as well.

I hope the snowboarder is found to be alive. Hopefully everyone searching for his will stay safe as well.
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)

Next