Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Where to go Sledding?

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: Where to go Sledding?

Postby Johnson » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:18 pm

The Joe wrote:
bjohnson17 wrote:
JDgreen wrote:Hidden Valley, Rocky Mountain National Park

I don't remember where this is and I can't seem to find the info online. Can you direct me?

Check www.nps.gov/romo. Use the search for "sledding". Lots of info. There is a good map off the main page. The turn off is between deer ridge junction and many parks curve. They even have a warming hut. I want to check it out too but I hadn't purchased a parks pass yet. Time to pry out the wallet.

Thanks Joe. After my chocolate lethargy wore off I got my RMNP map and found it! :)
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene

Postby glacierPaul » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:47 am

The Joe wrote:
glacierPaul wrote:St. Mary's is a very short hike, basically 1/2-3/4 of a mile to the lake. Me and my 6 year old son hike above the lake to the left, 100-200' above, then sled down and damn near across the lake. You will not need snowshoes for this.
Merry Christmas! We will be up there later, me attempting to beat Clark Grizwalds record :D .

Hey Clark, how did ja' do?....How were the conditions up there? I am planning on checking out the area this coming weekend. Quite honestly I don't know much about that area but I've always wanted to check it out. How's the access road and is the trailhead pretty easy to find. I was also curious about the avalanche danger in the imediate area. I don't really want to take my daughter sledding in an avalanche shute.....although I'll bet we could really pick up some good speed riding an avalanche with some "Grizwald geese" on the bottom of the sled! [-o< :shock: :lol:

Made it up to the glacier on Dec. 28, but took me this long to get my Adobe program figured out. First off, we had an absolute blast! Fall River Rd. is a primary road for Clear Creek County, which means it gets first attention during storms. Right now it is mostly dry pavement, we did get around 6-8" of snow yesterday so I have yet to see FRR. The trailhead is a little over 8 miles up on the left, and my parking lot is 300' past on the left, you can't miss them. The snow was hard crust on top of wind packed snow, pretty solid stuff. No avy worry for just sledding, at least right now. The trail is packed down, so snowshoes are not needed. Yak-trax or microspikes may be good for some folks, but not really needed to get to the lake or glacier. Weather was great that day, bluebird w/gusts of wind here and there. We sled to the left of the cliffs that look over glacier lake, hike up 150' or so, and sled down and out onto the lake. Also have shot of other folks sledding at the base of the glacier, which I don't do because of all the other visitors, plenty of area to sled, we stay out of snowboarders/skiers/snowshoers/hikers way, because they are there for the glacier. To each there own. Hope you enjoy the pics.
100_3014_edited-9.jpg
100_3014_edited-9.jpg (100.56 KiB) Viewed 1002 times
100_3015_edited-1.jpg
100_3015_edited-1.jpg (105.95 KiB) Viewed 1002 times
100_3018_edited-1.jpg
100_3018_edited-1.jpg (112.25 KiB) Viewed 1001 times
Last edited by glacierPaul on Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Postby glacierPaul » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:51 am

Paul 1 746 copy.jpg
Paul 1 746 copy.jpg (161.08 KiB) Viewed 999 times
Paul 1 018 copy.jpg
Paul 1 018 copy.jpg (154.85 KiB) Viewed 999 times

100_3020_edited-1.jpg
100_3020_edited-1.jpg (99.49 KiB) Viewed 990 times

I took the sled and glacier pics from the middle of the lake, where the sled finally stopped.
Hope this helps Joe!
Happy New Year All!!!!

Postby MUni Rider » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:18 pm

Not all of these are exactly out in the mountains, but if the icy mountain interstates are a nightmare there may be an option with one of these links.

http://www.outtherecolorado.com/blogs/colorado-springs-best-sledding-hills.html
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)

Postby Jump Roper » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:19 am

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I took my friend who was visiting from sea-level to St. Mary's and we had a blast. It is a very short hike which is great for a sea-level girl. Here is a pic. (Remember to bring $5 for parking.)
"Hold on Chuck, we're almost there."

Postby The Joe » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:30 am

Ca-2-mo, when did you go up? Judging by the wind blown snow in your pic, you were probably up there Sunday afternoon, same as me.

Thanks Glacier Paul. As I mentioned, I went up Sunday afternoon. Way cool! A bit windy. I didn't take my daughter or the sled. Scouting 1st. Maybe next weekend.
"I'll get there, eventually. I'm too stubborn to quit!"

Postby The Joe » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:39 am

winmag4582001 wrote:Wasnt there a spot right off Hwy285 by Pine?
I'm trying to think of a place to take some kids sledding too and I'm drawing a blank. St. Mary's Glacier is too long of hike for 8yr olds and I was snowshoeing at Berthoud Pass this morning and there were signs posted "No Sledding".
I need some ideas too.

Do you or anyone else know if the "No Sledding" signs are something new or maybe temparary?
"I'll get there, eventually. I'm too stubborn to quit!"

Previous