Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Where to go Sledding?

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Where to go Sledding?

Postby Jump Roper » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:14 pm

I was surprised that after doing a search on 14ers regarding sledding that there is little posts to be found.

I know about the sledding areas in Breck, Frisco, and Vail but I'm looking for a more natural area. I would like to go in the woods and sled without getting pummeled by an avalanche or frost bitten by hiking to the top of a 14er in the dead of winter. I'm not a lazy bum who needs to sled within feet of my car but I would like to keep the hike to about a mile or so. This way I don't have to make a whole day of it.

So where can a girl with her teenagers go sledding? I live South of Denver but have no problems driving an hour or two.
"Hold on Chuck, we're almost there."

Re: Where to go Sledding?

Postby Presto » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:16 pm

I know this is not "sledding" per se ... and certainly not out in the middle of nowhere, but there's a great tubing hill in Fraser (outside of Winter Park). They have a tow-line and everything. I've always wanted to go ... looks like a hoot!
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM

Postby JDgreen » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:29 pm

Hidden Valley, Rocky Mountain National Park
The world is a changin' and the West is only as wild as we can make it!

Postby winmag4582001 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:40 pm

Wasnt there a spot right off Hwy285 by Pine?
I'm trying to think of a place to take some kids sledding too and I'm drawing a blank. St. Mary's Glacier is too long of hike for 8yr olds and I was snowshoeing at Berthoud Pass this morning and there were signs posted "No Sledding".
I need some ideas too.
"Remember, you're unique, just like everybody else."-Joel Bernardini

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:14 pm

Vail Pass rec area is good
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby glacierPaul » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:51 am

St. Mary's is a very short hike, basically 1/2-3/4 of a mile to the lake. Me and my 6 year old son hike above the lake to the left, 100-200' above, then sled down and damn near across the lake. You will not need snowshoes for this.
Merry Christmas! We will be up there later, me attempting to beat Clark Grizwalds record :D .

Postby The Joe » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:26 pm

glacierPaul wrote:St. Mary's is a very short hike, basically 1/2-3/4 of a mile to the lake. Me and my 6 year old son hike above the lake to the left, 100-200' above, then sled down and damn near across the lake. You will not need snowshoes for this.
Merry Christmas! We will be up there later, me attempting to beat Clark Grizwalds record :D .

Hey Clark, how did ja' do?....How were the conditions up there? I am planning on checking out the area this coming weekend. Quite honestly I don't know much about that area but I've always wanted to check it out. How's the access road and is the trailhead pretty easy to find. I was also curious about the avalanche danger in the imediate area. I don't really want to take my daughter sledding in an avalanche shute.....although I'll bet we could really pick up some good speed riding an avalanche with some "Grizwald geese" on the bottom of the sled! [-o< :shock: :lol:
"I'll get there, eventually. I'm too stubborn to quit!"

Postby Johnson » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:16 pm

JDgreen wrote:Hidden Valley, Rocky Mountain National Park

I don't remember where this is and I can't seem to find the info online. Can you direct me?
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene

Postby George James » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:15 pm

40 23 37N, 105 39 20W
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack
~ The Baron Von Bergschrund

Postby Johnson » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:06 pm

George James wrote:40 23 37N, 105 39 20W

Thanks! I'll double check my map!
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene

Postby Jump Roper » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:22 pm

Berthoud Pass had tons of sledders on it yesterday when we drove by. Looks like it can be as steep or as tame as you are willing to hike for. A bit far for us who live in Monument but only 10 minutes from Winter Park.
"Hold on Chuck, we're almost there."

Postby The Joe » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:23 am

bjohnson17 wrote:
JDgreen wrote:Hidden Valley, Rocky Mountain National Park

I don't remember where this is and I can't seem to find the info online. Can you direct me?

Check www.nps.gov/romo. Use the search for "sledding". Lots of info. There is a good map off the main page. The turn off is between deer ridge junction and many parks curve. They even have a warming hut. I want to check it out too but I hadn't purchased a parks pass yet. Time to pry out the wallet.
"I'll get there, eventually. I'm too stubborn to quit!"

Next