Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Breck Peak 10

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: Breck Peak 10

Postby weissea » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:05 am

jason.wichman wrote:
the snow is actually quite good all over in breck. 7 is good, from what I've been on it. The back bowls are snowy and nice, and 6 chair had some pretty deep snow last weekend. All in all its been a great start to the season. They got another 7 last night according to snow.com. I heard some rumors of a peak 6 in the future. I hope if they do that they have an imperial type lift to the top.

"back bowls"? at breck? what do you mean by that? the back of breck is basically SKY chutes. Billy's Bowl, Ballroom, Horseshoe, Contest, Cucumber, Imperial, etc. are all front side. Never heard "back bowls" used to describe terrain at breck. I'm not saying its necessarily wrong, just wondering as to what you are referring.
In the words of Jean-Paul Sarte 'Aurevoir Gophere'

Postby Vermont Refugee » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:13 pm

The 'Back Bowls' were not called that in the 1970's Breckenridge terrain map (big poster in the Peak 8 Resturant); I have to think that is an 'innovation' of the VAIL Corp marketing department (my biased opinion of course).

I couldn't pick up the SummitDaily refernce, but it sounds as if there will be a Peak 6 expansion within two years. ANy locals ready to fill in (I remember seeing hte plot of a chair running to about 100' below the cornice but again the old guy couldn't find the link)???
That's some catch that catch 22

Postby ajkagy » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:35 pm

interesting...i wonder what kind of impact the peak 6 expansion will have down the road? Seems like breck is already overcrowded as it is with traffic/second homes and tourists. I wonder if they would eventually decide to develop more housing below lower on the peak like there is on peak 8. No more easy backcountry access for peak 6 either, but it will at least open up peak 4 and 5 area to be a little more accessible.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby Steve Gio » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:29 pm

Maybe they should just convert Summit County into 1 giant ski resort. Make Keystone build a lift up to the Colorado trail with trails that come Down to Breck. Then Develop the backside of Peak 7-8 so you can ski down to Copper. (leave the rable at A-basin out of it). Then develop the Gore Range peaks so you can ski down to Frisco. It would be a legenday undertaking and the whole world would want to come. I of course would move back to Vermont and live the small village life once again.

Postby elkheart22 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:27 pm

"They call it Paradise,
I don't know why.
Somebody made the mountains move,
While the town got high."----The Eagles, The Last Resort.
Lakes below the mountains
Flow into the sea
Like oils applied to canvas,
They permeate through me. --- Jimmy Buffett

Postby Vermont Refugee » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:40 pm

I'll join the rable most days anyway (the convenience of the Early Riser lot is just one benefit of A), but I think the development of most concern would be Breck opening up the West Side of the Ten Mile range to allow circus style skiing with Copper (tunneling under I 91). It would be cool, it would give some dramatic new steeps for the most aggressive skiers, but...

How many new Condos and McMansions would be developed in the valley north of Leadville??

How long would the favorable season pass deals survive without competition???

Seems to me that the build out is pretty overblown already.

Postby Steve Gio » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:37 am

Actually VT R, I have a serious problem with not making my sarcastic comments pink. So for all others who may be thinking I am an expansionist, I was joking. Guess I thought most people would see that without the colorful lettering.

Where in Vermont are you from? My wife and I moved out here in 05 after a layoff. Used to live in Fayston, 3 minutes to the Bush.

Postby edhaman » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:37 pm

Steve, I thought your sacrasm came through just fine, even without the pink. By the way, how DO you get it in pink?

Postby highpilgrim » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:00 pm

Font color bar just above the response window...
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Postby Vermont Refugee » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:05 pm

Steve -

I figured you had the sarcasm bar turned up to full pink (Sorry if the color affect doesn't work, I am part color blind), but the Christmas scene in Summit County is weird enough to merit a Monty Python level mockery.

Although I was technically a 'Yorker' before I went to VT in '79, my wife and kids can claim to be born there (although we sometimes speculate that my youngest was hatched in a backroom at the hospital and slipped into my wife's arms when she was sleeping). I lived in Grand Isle until '94 and then move to Colorado (I'm an economic refugee - I needed the job after I was laid off). I wish I could have stayed employed in VT, but sometimes you have to make adjustments. Skied mostly at S Bush North (when passes were cheap), Mad River (when it snowed), and Smugs (when I could take a half day off from "Idiots Become Managers"), and X-C'd on Champlain when it froze.

Although the Colorado mountains are great, the scale of Vermont is easier on the head - Typically I'll ski A-Basin before Vail or Breck (the rable, dog population, and drunks in the parking lot keep A-Basin interesting)

Previous