Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Colorado vs. Utah POW

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Who has the best snow?

Colorado
50%
Utah
37%
Other (Jackson, Tahoe, Big Sky, Mammoth, PNW, BC, Europe, etc)
13%

Total votes : 38

Re: Colorado vs. Utah POW

Postby ajkagy » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:30 pm

Utah hands down if you like mostly resort skiing and like others have said, it all comes down to geography.

However there are a few really nice places in CO that get a ton of snow. Kebler pass up near the irwin hut averages 600 inches a year. I believe back in 2008 during the huge snow year they got over 1,000 inches that year.

CB is by far the greatest in terms of terrain choice + snow quality in CO (just my opinion). Nice resort with great terrain + loads of backcountry and loads of snow in the microclimate areas...not to mention the Elks are just awesome.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby rickinco123 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:09 pm

ajkagy wrote:UKebler pass up near the irwin hut averages 600 inches a year. I believe back in 2008 during the huge snow year they got over 1,000 inches that year.

Hell yeah! Most of the lumber on that lodge came from my grandfathers mill. Awesome place. The forrest along Kebler looks like a jungle in the summer as well, the wettest part of Colorado for sure. The problem with Colorado is not necessarily quantity, its where the ski areas have been located.

Postby longshanks » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:23 pm

Postby KevinK » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:37 pm

Definitions of best
best [ best ]
better than all others: of the highest quality or standard or the most excellent type

I'm not sure what dictionary you are all using but all other things aside it is a fact that Colorado gets the dryest, lightest snow ANYWHERE! Dryest snow = best snow

rickinco123 wrote:About 17 years ago there was an article in "Snow Country" magazine were they listed the average water content of an inch of snow. Colorado had the lowest. While we may have the best quality we don't have the quantity and sometime times quantity is quality especially if the quality is excellent even if it is not the best. Did I clear it up for everyone?

Exactly! Confusing but precise.
Oh mama ain't it good to be alive
On your mountaintop and feeling high

-Railroad Earth

Postby scheelt » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:57 am

Having grown up in Utah and heard all the advertising the Colorado skiing did I thought it was going to be out of this world. Now that I've lived in Colorado for 4 years, I'm convinced of one thing: Colorado has done an incredible job publicising a second rate product. Now my rationale: Accessibility (9 world class ski areas within 30 minutes of SLC, Denver has that hours long drive on I-70); Resort Terrain (Colorado has a lot of black diamond terrain that would barely warrant a blue in Utah. Utah's resort terrain is more challanging and difficult than Colorado); Snow Depths (Utah 600" vs 350" Colorado); Snow Quality is a wash (7.6% water content in Colorado to 8.5% in Utah); Colorado does have 1 advantage, though, the after ski night life. Just my 2 cents! Cheers

Previous