Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Colorado vs. Utah POW

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Who has the best snow?

Colorado
50%
Utah
37%
Other (Jackson, Tahoe, Big Sky, Mammoth, PNW, BC, Europe, etc)
13%

Total votes : 38

Colorado vs. Utah POW

Postby lordhelmut » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:05 pm

So who has the best snow, Colorado or Utah? Aside from the snow, why do you prefer one over the other? Other state input welcomed and appreciated.

Its useless argueing who has better snow when comparing Little/Big Cottonwood Canyon to pretty much anywhere else on the planet, but Salt Lake sure ain't T-ride, Silverton, Highlands, the Jane, the Boat or the Butte, so in my opinion they both have pros and cons. I've also been to Taos and Bozeman, which certainly did not suck.

Anyways, weekend forecast is lookin nice, anyone getting out? Any wagers on an over/under total for the Jane saturday morning? I'm gonna go with 8-10" (and hoping for 15-20").

Re: Colorado vs. Utah POW

Postby Beachrodney » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:18 pm

You planning on being at the Jane sat morning?

Postby JakeK » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:23 pm

Well I'm new to Utah, and still have a lot to learn when it comes to BC skiing, but there are definitely some advantages to living in the Central Wasatch: 1) Lots of snow, 2) a pretty darn stable snowpack, 3) Super quick access to the mountains / trailheads / etc

I can't believe the kinds of stuff I've already skied and witnessed being skied in my new backyard already this year. The kind of terrain that we wouldn't really even think about in CO until the spring.

Obviously living in a place like Silverton with the snowfall of BCC/LCC would be ideal... but Salt Lake has job opportunities, and a decent cost of living. I heard all summer & fall after I moved here that the Wasatch backcountry was crowded, but within 1.5 months of skiing, we're already figuring out how to get away from the "crowds" (which don't really live up to the hype).

just my two cents :D I'm clearly loving Utah so far and plan on being here for a while!

Postby gcoldewey » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:53 pm

A good powder day is a great day no matter where you are. Having said that we've been going to Utah for the past 10 years or so because:
1.Coming from Texas it is so easy to get on Southwest airlines (free tickets) and get to Salt Lake, and no drive out I-70 once you get there.
2.Utah seems to have more reliable good snow.
3.We love the terrain at Alta and Snowbird. Discovered Powder Mountain last year and had a fabulous day.
4. I can stay in Salt Lake and really cut the cost of lodging, and it's only about 20 minutes up to Alta/Snowbird

Postby henryca8 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:26 pm

And then, once your done carving it up in Utah, you can wash it down with some way-below-average beer.

Postby skiwall » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:38 pm

Uhhh.... I got freshies in Suicide Chute this morning so I feel like that's not a fair vote.

But if I could snap my fingers and be in Colorado AFTER skiing LCC all day, I'd do it in a heartbeat. :)
"A good woman knows her place is in the backcountry." - PW '08

Postby George James » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:16 pm

I voted "Other:"

Also deserving of honorable mention:

• WHAMM
  • ZOK
  • BIFF
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack
~ The Baron Von Bergschrund

Postby rickinco123 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:00 pm

About 17 years ago there was an article in "Snow Country" magazine were they listed the average water content of an inch of snow. Colorado had the lowest. While we may have the best quality we don't have the quantity and sometime times quantity is quality especially if the quality is excellent even if it is not the best. Did I clear it up for everyone?

Postby telehead » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:27 pm

Lived in Colorado for a long time and loved the skiing while I was there. But now that I have to travel for turns I'm hitting Utah. It's an easy flight, snow is better, and cheaper.

If were comparing just snow here, Utah destroys Colorado. It's just Geography. Anything that rolls into the West whether off the Pacific or from Canada seems to hit Utah just perfectly and then leaves the crumbs for Colorado. Seriously, they measure their storms in feet while Colorado goes nuts if it snows 10-12". We went to Solitude for a week last Feb, and even in a down year, it snowed every day 6-8". It was incredible

Now, if your comparing overall ski towns, beer, and experience then Colorado wins. Nothing beats Crested Butte, Aspen, Tride, Steamboat and Vail for overall ski experience.
"Going where the wind don't blow so strange, maybe off on some high cold mountain chain"

Postby RoanMtnMan » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:30 pm

We have better mountains. They have much better snow. And more stable snow. If we could move the Wasatch out of the way we would probably get another 200 inches a year.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby altitude kamikazee » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:48 pm

my 2 cents:
I'm in favor of Colorado. The mountains,snow, and the overall beautiful landscape makes it the place I'd go in a heartbeat.
Summiting is optional, getting down is mandatory.

"How do you eat an elephant??"
-one bite at a time

"life is a gift.......dont waste it."

Postby hansolo35 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:12 pm

I have skied Colorado several times- T-ride is simply lovely with fantastic scenery and a lively town at it's base; Aspen- snobby but good terrain at highlands; the butte- rad town with great terrain; and A Basin- real nice terrain with a funky little area that rocks vibe.

But when it all comes down to it and all bets are on the table, Utah is the gold standard. Nowhere else gets the quality/ quantity of powder, and for those of us lucky enough to have experienced countless white room days, there is nothing better in life. I'd choose white room over beer any ole day. If I want a lively night out, I go to Vegas. If I want pure joyous levitation/ floating on air/ huge snorkel pow in the face-nostrils-throat- eyeballs on a regular basis, which is afterall what life is all about, I'm skiing LCC

Next