Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Skiing Mt. Bierstadt

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: Skiing Mt. Bierstadt

Postby Bean » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:28 pm

Bierstadt is as gnar as Hestras are dexterous.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby Carl » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:39 pm

dhill2023 wrote:...how technical would you say the skiing on it is? very steep? lots of cliffs? etc etc.... that way i have an idea of what we'll be going up against

This (Quandary) is the most popular 14er ski descent in the country. There are 43 trip reports on this site alone, mostly of the route you're looking for. A little searching on here goes a long way. It's an ideal beginner route but not without difficulty and avy terrain lurking nearby if you venture off route. Enjoy the ski.

Postby dhill2023 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:39 pm

is the standard ski route going up the east ridge and skiing back down the east face?
good, better, best. never let it rest until your good is better and your better is best

Postby benners » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:51 pm

dhill2023 wrote:is the standard ski route going up the east ridge and skiing back down the east face?

Correct.

Postby USAKeller » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:42 pm

dhill2023 wrote:would you happen to have any good links for where i could get into an av safety course?

CAIC is great as skiwall mentioned. I see you live in Boulder...here are some closer places to start:

*Eldora Ski Resort offers level 1 avy certification courses with field training at a cost: Eldora Avy Courses

*Neptune Mountaineering offers some free avy clinics on how to use beacons, etc. These are free and are not certification courses; simply refresher classes: Neptune Classes

*REI has some free, super-basic lectures on the same stuff as Neptune (scroll down): REI Classes

While taking/listening to these classes are great, it's even more important that you repetetively practice using your beacons in real-life and go out with people who understand and know a lot about avalanche terrain and safety as well!
All we are called to do is do the next right thing.

Postby shaunster_co » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:38 am

To add another to USAKeller's list above in the Boulder area, Boulder Rock Club (BRC) has a few Avy awareness classes coming up at different venues around Boulder;
http://www.totalclimbing.com/page.php

BRC & and Colorado Mountain School (CMS) are one of the same and CMS does Level One Certification as well.

I would echo what has been said above, the free awareness courses are great, but do not substitute for Level One.
I would do [in this order];

Avy awareness / familiarization course
Level One
Practice w/Beacon (with friends, or practice areas)

Be safe out there!

Postby COBuckeye » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:16 am

I have taken Level I through Bryan Mountain Nordic Ski Patrol (in association with Colorado Mountain Club, just without the CMC dues), and the Awareness class through Friends of Berthoud Pass. I highly recommend both for quality of content and cost.
"...cause I got changed by what I've been shown, more glory than the world has known, keeps me ramblin' on..." - Josh Garrels (Farther Along)

Postby RobertPetrowsky » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:48 am

I took my Avy 1 class through CMC in Leadville on a year with low snow. Based on the low snow east of the divide in the front range it may be worth taking the time and extra money to try one of the courses around Silverton. I think you get a lot more out of the on snow day when you actually have a deep and complex snowpack to look at. I know I didn't have much fun looking at 2 feet of depth hoar with sun crust on top...

Postby sprockter » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:57 pm

Well, Quandary Peak on the East Side is considered the following rating: D3 / R2 / II with D3 meaning that it's perhaps slightly steeper than 25 degrees, or may include more challenging terrain features. I haven't summited a 14er and skiied down one yet and would love to do just that this season. You up for a partner?

Previous