Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Indian Peaks coverage for skiing

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Indian Peaks coverage for skiing

Postby markyv » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:11 pm

Curious if anyone has been up to brainard, 4th of july, allenspark or wild basin areas. Given the winds of late i cannot imagine it's great coverage above tree line but really just looking to test out some new gear and mainly get a tour in (with _maybe_ some turns). Thanks in advance.

Re: Indian Peaks coverage for skiing

Postby yetibreath » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:29 am

If you want to try out new gear, east of the Continental Divide is not a good place right now. There are exposed rocks on most of the trails. The best early season snow is usually in the James Peak Wilderness in particular the South Boulder Creek trail and the Forest Lakes trail starting at East Portal. There are still some downed trees blocking those trails, but the last of them should be removed by mid week thanks to the "tree fairies" (don't ask). If you don't mind driving a bit, the Jim Creek trail on the other side of the Divide from the South Boulder Creek trail is in great shape. I skied it a couple of weeks ago and there wasn't a rock in sight.

Postby Ned-man » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:29 am

I was just hiking north of Eldora (the town, FR505) and the deepest snow I saw all day was maybe 10".

Postby gurlyclimber » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:54 am

My boyfriend and I skied the CMC Ski Trail by Brainard Lake a couple of weeks ago. It was in. We were able to glide out on the road. This trail is more for XC skiing. It doesn't really pack enough punch to warrant an AT setup.
There are some trips you never fully come back from.

Postby USAKeller » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:56 pm

Ned-man wrote:I was just hiking north of Eldora (the town, FR505) and the deepest snow I saw all day was maybe 10".

Yep, I was skiing at Eldora a few days ago and I have one word for the snow coverage in the IP area: THIN. We tried a ski tour up near Jenny Creek this time last year and found the exact same near non-existent snow coverage. So I wouldn't test out your new gear quite yet unless you are willing to take some rock hits to your boards. As for finding some turns, about 4 groomed runs at Eldora is what there is! Well, there's always Arapaho Glacier.
How long after arriving at someone's house is it appropriate to ask for the WiFi password?

Postby George James » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:19 pm

Plenty of snow up at Cameron Pass. Just sayin.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack
~ The Baron Von Bergschrund

Postby markyv » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:05 pm

cameron pass. Beautiful, but such a long drive

Postby coloradokevin » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:09 pm

markyv wrote:cameron pass. Beautiful, but such a long drive

George James wrote:Plenty of snow up at Cameron Pass. Just sayin.

Yeah, I love Cameron too. I used to go up there on a near-weekly basis when I was living in Ft. Collins. But, it is a long drive from the Denver area... which also means smaller crowds, if you don't mind making the drive!

Postby madbuck » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:38 pm

USAKeller wrote:Yep, I was skiing at Eldora a few days ago and I have one word for the snow coverage in the IP area: THIN. .

Agreed -- it was better coverage (hill and nordic) on opening day than it was last week! :(