Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Current Creek Headwall Berthoud Pass

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Current Creek Headwall Berthoud Pass

Postby tuan » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:49 pm

My friend and I were attempting to hike from Berthoud Pass to the top of Parsenn bowl at Winter Park/Mary Jane, but we opted to stay out of bounds instead. I rode the cliffs in the current creek cirque last weekend for the first time accessed from hiking up the pass to the top of Randall Peak and traversing over to the far side. We had a safe run though the snow pack did look prone in spots around the cornices but most had slid the day before after the thanksgiving snow. We had the most amazing few turns and then a two hour hike back over flat waist deep pow to the lower parking lot. I am looking for some good maps of this part of the pass but I have only found maps of runs around the old ski area. I am now in love with this gem of a backcountry park and am soaking up as much information as I can, any and all information will be useful.

enjoying the hills,
tuan

Re: Current Creek Headwall Berthoud Pass

Postby Carl » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:03 am

tuan wrote:I am looking for some good maps of this part of the pass but I have only found maps of runs around the old ski area.

This map http://www.avalanchemapping.org/IMAGES/Bpastopoweb.pdf is sold at Bent Gate and at the Friends of Berthoud Pass http://www.berthoudpass.org events, among other places. Shows the area you want and some of the more prominent avy paths.

Postby tuan » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:08 pm

Thanks for the help, that is a great map but I am looking for the routes in the cliff area and perhaps some names of the runs between the current creek bench and the postage stamp area. I will definitely use this, but I am looking for something even more detailed because that place is so epic.

-tuan

Postby tuan » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:44 pm

So I found out that the spot is called "ten little indians" between the current creek bowl and the postage stamp. I know this place is dangerous and has huge avalanche potential but I am really interested in finding some route maps for the chutes if anyone has any. There has to be some Berthoud vets out there with some more info. thanks.

continually enjoy the magnificent existence

tuan

Postby mtnfiend » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:37 am

This map is pretty good.

http://www.backcountrycoalition.com/taxonomy/term/844&action=detail_photo&pid=4&disp_type=area&refid=

You can also find this map on the FOBP site under resources.
Didn't I ever tell you.....Bumble's bounce!!!

Postby FOBP » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:38 pm

tuan wrote:So I found out that the spot is called "ten little indians" between the current creek bowl and the postage stamp. I know this place is dangerous and has huge avalanche potential but I am really interested in finding some route maps for the chutes if anyone has any. There has to be some Berthoud vets out there with some more info. thanks.

As you say, they're dangerous, which is why we rarely ski them and why you are likely to encounter very little in the way of detailed beta.

That said, if you want to learn the routes, hike em in the spring, summer and fall. It's amazing how the mountain reveals herself when you look at it with new eyes.

Location: Little-Town; Front Ranger During the Week, Off Piste or close to it on the Weekends

Postby mtnbikir » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:34 pm

Be careful out there. Was nice at the Jane today.

Here is a map:

Postby jam6880 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:04 pm

buy a book on it.