Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

board boots?

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

board boots?

Postby happy_ledges » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:04 pm

Does anybody have any advice/experience with snowboard boots that work well for hiking/simple scrambling? Thanks

Re: board boots?

Postby JonW » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:18 am

I strapped in with my mountaineerring boots once and it seemed to work fine. It might be easier to find a mountaineering or burly hiking boot that works well for snowboarding instead of the other way around.

Postby mountaingoat-G » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:56 am

I tried a pair of Koflach Superpipe boots years ago that were supposed to be for snowboading, but the looked a lot like mountaneering boots. They sucked for snowboading (no front suport, to narrow to fit well in the binding, too stiff side-to-side). They may have worked well for mountaneering (??) but I never tried them.

I now have a pair of Burton DriverX's I use for ski area riding and an older, more broken-in pair of Burton Driver's (not DriverX) that I can hike in for back-country. They even have small, cheesy flip-out mini-crampons on the ball of the foot. I would imagine thay could hold a pair of stap-on real crampons pretty well and be an OK hiking boot while still giving enough suport to ride powder in the back-country. They broke in enough that I don't like them for riding at the ski area, as they are not stiff enough for riding fast on packed snow.

One year, I arrived at Mary Jane ski area thinking they were still open for the season, when in fact they were not :justkillme:
I decided that there was no way that I drove all that way and was not going to take at least one run. The snow was a bit icey as you might expect early in the morning in the spring. I hiked up Mary Jane carrying my board in the Driver boots. The ice was pretty darn slippery on the steeps and I don't think I could have made it without flipping-out those little mini-crampons. They actualy worked, though and I was able to take a run down Mary Jane and had the run all to myself.

Postby happy_ledges » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:15 pm

What do you think of something like this?

http://ridesnowboards.com/boots/anthem-boa-coiler

currently have old school moon boots so anything is improvement. Also don't mind switching to more practical climbing boots if necessary...but if one type of boot was more able to be hiked/climbed in...

Postby shaunster_co » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:36 pm

I have Ride Jackson and they perform well - the boa is key.

ride.jpg
ride.jpg (13.15 KiB) Viewed 834 times

Oddly enough I was just talking with a friend that had a pair of Rides fit with Vibram soles from a boot repair place. He basically had the vibram soles from old hiking boots retrofit on his snowboard boots. This is more for splitboarding, but I have heard of several people doing that.

The down side of using snowboard boots to hike in is that they will pack out faster. I try to curtail the wear on the liners by loosing the boa while in tour mode on the splitboard or while hiking in them. The majority of wear [packing out] will occur if the liners either get wet or hot - so by loosening the boa you will keep your feet cooler which is key.

Postby mewithout14ers » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:43 pm

Those Ride Jackson's look fantastic, how much are they? and how do they perform as far as snowboarding?
"Men go abroad to wonder at the heights of mountains, at the huge waves of the sea, at the long courses of the rivers, at the vast compass of the ocean, at the circular motions of the stars, and they pass by themselves without even wondering." - Augustine

Postby shaunster_co » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:07 pm

mewithout14ers wrote:Those Ride Jackson's look fantastic, how much are they? and how do they perform as far as snowboarding?

Actually I got lucky at the end of last season - I think I got them for about 100. I had the opportunity to use them about a dozen times before the beginning of this season. I love them! I used to have ThirtyTwo boots (several actually), the model escapes me... They were comfortable but packed out fast. I read reviews on these and they supposedly do not pack out as much. We shall see. The best part is the weight - they are extremely light weight. I got these at Boulder Ski Deals, but I think Ski & Golf carries them, along with several online dealers. I'm sure you know this, but if you buy snowboard boots online be sure to try the exact same model on in a store first. These are actually a half size under what I would normally wear - which is what I hear from everyone that buys Ride.

Postby happy_ledges » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:32 pm

thanks...very helpful. Guy at store recommended Ride as having some of the best soles and pointed out the Jackson as being what would likely work best... Oddly enough I was thinking about having vibram for the soles...a do it yourself project :D ...

just found the jacksons for $140...

it is to be a marvelous winter!!

Postby shaunster_co » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:47 pm

happy_ledges wrote:thanks...very helpful. Guy at store recommended Ride as having some of the best soles and pointed out the Jackson as being what would likely work best... Oddly enough I was thinking about having vibram for the soles...a do it yourself project :D ...

just found the jacksons for $140...

it is to be a marvelous winter!!

Hope they work out for you - I don't think you will be disappointed. Let me know if you do a vibram DIY - I would be VERY interested in doing the same. There is an epoxy called G-Flex by West Systems - one of the few that bonds to polyethylene (plastics corp in Englewood is one of the few CO suppliers). I use the same stuff for splitboard modifications and have seen it is the stuff to use doing custom boots. It remains somewhat flex even in extreme cold temps. You have to heat treat the material (light wipe with a propane torch a few times) before applying it. It's amazing stuff. I am tempted to look for a pair of old snowboard boots at a thrift store and do a test. I will keep you posted if I get around to it. I like the idea of auto crampons on a snowboard boot..

Likewise there are several threads on this over the years on splitboard...

Postby montana1000 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:19 pm

I'll second the burton drivers. they also work well with crampons. they are the stiffest snowboard specific boot out there besides a hard boot and they come with vibrum soles.

Postby mountaingoat-G » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:12 pm

happy_ledges wrote:What do you think of something like this?

http://ridesnowboards.com/boots/anthem-boa-coiler

currently have old school moon boots so anything is improvement. Also don't mind switching to more practical climbing boots if necessary...but if one type of boot was more able to be hiked/climbed in...

Those boots look like they would be good for riding, but perhaps might have a bit too much forward lean for hiking...
Just my opinion.

I have never used the dial cable things, but they seem like they could be great. I thought I herad someone say that they did break easily, however. Someone with experience with them could confirm or deny this.

Postby shaunster_co » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:18 pm

I think the Boa system has improved a great deal [knock on wood]. I do keep a replacement cable and the small eyeglass screwdriver that comes with the replacement cable in my pack - hoping I never have to do that on the mountain. Typically the cable breaks come from boots that are packed out and the user over tightening the Boa system to compensate for that. Like I said, to mitigate that, leave your Boa a bit slack in touring mode (assuming you are skinning). Same goes with hiking or booting, not so loose you jeopardize stability - but enough that you aren't packing out your boots.

If hiking I might suggest pairing your boots with the Grivel G10 Wide spike [made for wide shoes]. I would suggest lower angle snowfields with these, after all they are a 10-point, the 12-point (secondary points) are designed more for vertical ice. I would say if you are going technical you probably don't want to be in soft boots anyway.

I have heard similar good things about the BD Contacts in board boots but have not tried them.