Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Backcountry Skiing Colorado Huts

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Backcountry Skiing Colorado Huts

Postby tbnike27 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:12 pm

I've been trying to conduct some research recently on the best Colorado Huts that provide superb backcountry skiing and found that I need some real anecdotes. Here's what I'm looking for...
1. Extreme Terrain (couloirs, bowls, cliffs, cornices, all that fun stuff)
2. Most terrain above treeline
3. Alpine skiing, not cross-country touring besides the trek in
I must emphasize that I'm not looking for gentle slopes, mostly epic terrain that is accessible via a day trip from one of the huts. I would be going up with a group of buddies, and we have snowmobiles if needed so the approach length is negligible. I've heard the best areas are in the Silverton Area and Aspen Area, and the Treasure Mountain Hut is a good place to start. If anybody knows from hands-on experiences of these areas I'd love to hear your thoughts. Love to see some photos too! Pray for some good snow this season
"If you're not living life on the edge then you're taking up too much space"

Re: Backcountry Skiing Colorado Huts

Postby Carl » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:19 pm

Epic and extreme is quite the wish list but if you check out the terrain around the Braun and Friends huts you'll find some good lines. It's all avy terrain but I guess that goes without saying.

Postby tbnike27 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:38 am

Haha sorry about the phrasing... Examples of terrain I'm looking for is similar to "Lake Chutes" of Breckenridge, parts of Blue Sky Basin, Vail,or The East Wall of Arapahoe Basin. Just looking for "more advanced" double black terrain I guess. Thanks for the info, I'll check those out!
"If you're not living life on the edge then you're taking up too much space"

Postby Chicago Transplant » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:03 pm

Look at the San Juan hut system too, outside of Ridgeway there are a few that provide access to skiing the north side of the Sneffels Range. There is definitely a lot of terrain around there to get the blood pumping. Haven't had any personal experience with those huts yet though, but looks like it has a lot of potential. They have some shots in the "ski photos" link on the left.

http://www.sanjuanhuts.com/ski_huts/index.html
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day