Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Who's Been Out...Skiing that is.

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Who's Been Out...Skiing that is.

Postby JTOlson26 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:45 pm

For the past week i have been salivating at the amount of snow Breck and a few other resorts seem to be getting right now. I know Breck opened last Friday and it seems like they have a pretty decent base already, for this time of year, and with more to come soon! Going to school in Ohio, it is possible i will get out for Christmas but nothing is solidified yet, and if i don't get out then it looks like this ski season will be a wash for me. So, let me live vicariously through all of you fortunate souls who have nearly immediate access to the slopes! How has it been so far? It seems better than normal for Mid-November but maybe that is just because I am comparing it to the dismal 50 degree weather here in NE Ohio!

Ski On!

JT

Re: Who's Been Out...Skiing that is.

Postby Jesse Peterson » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:56 pm

Got my first in-bounds day of the year at Breck today. The lift line was pretty long at the base, but Horseshoe and Contest bowls were open to hiking (as they have since opening day). I hiked up to Horseshoe a bunch of times. In bowl the snow was easily knee deep-- skiing more like January than November, plenty o' face shots to be had :D

Definitely better than the last two Novembers, even had some soft bumps on the lower mountain. Hope you get to make some turns this year JT.
"As for mountains, there are mountains hidden in jewels, there are mountains hidden in marshes, mountains hidden in the sky; there are mountains hidden in mountains. There is a study of mountains hidden in hiddenness." Dogen Kigen , Mountains and Rivers Sutra

Postby mountaingoat-G » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:00 pm

I have 2 days in at Copper so far. It was OK, a tad icy though.
They need more snow, but when isn't that the case ?? (not just Copper, but anywhere). It seems rare that the snow wouldn't be better if it were deeper than however deep it is ....

Postby benners » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:15 pm

Gotten out 4 times, twice at A Basin and twice at Berthoud. I too was interested in hiking up to Horseshoe Bowl at Breck this past weekend until I showed up at the base of the mountain to find a mandatory hour and half (no I am not exaggerating) lift line at the base. I have literally never in my life seen such a massive cluster f^&* at the base of a ski hill. I stood there in disgust for about ten seconds before deciding to get back in my car and head to Berthoud, where I thankfully was able to salvage the day with some knee deep turns.

Postby clemsonmtneer » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:33 pm

It's been a good start to the season for sure, snowier than normal so far. I skied Loveland on Saturday and it's doing well for being so early, but terrain is still limited at the open resorts with it being so early, even with good snow. It will get better, especially if these weather patterns keep up (we can only hope!). Backcountry is where it's at right now. A few from a couple of buddies and I on a dawn patrol near Berthoud Pass last Thursday.
Attachments
5170214557_dfdf6532c4_z.jpg
5170214557_dfdf6532c4_z.jpg (148.57 KiB) Viewed 975 times
5180917992_5f601a5d11_z.jpg
5180917992_5f601a5d11_z.jpg (124.3 KiB) Viewed 972 times
5170815972_477c693bfa_z.jpg
5170815972_477c693bfa_z.jpg (189.35 KiB) Viewed 975 times

Postby COBuckeye » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:36 pm

Being from Ohio myself I feel your pain. Been out 3 times this season, all at Berthoud. Three weeks ago was decent, two weeks ago was crusty, but this past Saturday was great. Got to partake in the knee deep pow with Ben, good times.
"...cause I got changed by what I've been shown, more glory than the world has known, keeps me ramblin' on..." - Josh Garrels (Farther Along)

Postby Gueza » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:37 pm

Iv'e gotten out once and had a great time on St. Mary's Glacier. Looking to maybe ski Quandary this weekend depending on conditions.
Look at every setback, failure, and time you feel down in your life as a temporary, fixable condition. That is how you never give up and keep moving onwards.

"Never Stop" - AJS

"Be kind, Take care of yourself, and Work Hard" -Steve Gladbach

https://www.youtube.com/user/14erskier

Postby weissea » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:58 am

I've been hitting up Berthoud and it has been wonderful. I don't mind saying it because it is obvious that word has gotten around. On one descent this Sunday (11/14) I counted 73 cars in the lot. 30% of them were probably people just stopping to take pictures, but lots of skiers. Since late October it has been the place to be as far as I know.

Lesser known is how awesome Vail has been. You can drive up to the base of chair 10 and skin from there. There were only 6 cars there on Saturday (11/13) and the snow was great. Northwoods is glorious. My buddy from Edwards went back on Sunday (11/14) and sent me a pic showing that all of our tracks had been filled in with new snow. It felt great.odd to eat up some Vail pow with no one else around. Plus, free parking until they open later this week!

The only resort i have been to is A Basin, but I left at 9:30 both times because of the line. Like clemsonmtneer sai, the BC is the place to be.
In the words of Jean-Paul Sarte 'Aurevoir Gophere'

Postby JTOlson26 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:54 am

Sounds like everyone is having a great time so far! Looks like the forecast is calling for another 8-10 inches at Breck through tonight and over a foot at Vail. As someone said earlier, hopefully this keeps up. If i do indeed make it out at Christmas i would like there to have been 200 inches of snow or so already! :mrgreen:

Postby altitude kamikazee » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:05 am

ya it looks like Vail is racking uo on snow and so is steamboat with 14 inches! This is a great start tothe season and i cant wait to get out there.
Summiting is optional, getting down is mandatory.

"How do you eat an elephant??"
-one bite at a time

"life is a gift.......dont waste it."

Postby Beachrodney » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:16 am

I plan on getting out wednesday, anybody in? =D>

Postby Bean » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:16 am

I still haven't made it out to any backcountry and that's going to have to change this weekend, but I do have 10 days in riding a chair.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Next