Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Insights into Ski Mountaineering

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Insights into Ski Mountaineering

Postby Jcwhite » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:02 pm

Caleb Wray (Roanmtnman) and I will be presenting a slideshow on some of our international ski trips. Just figured I'd throw out the word here... It's at Jax sports in Lafayette, CO.
Joel Gratz from Colorado Powder Forecast should also be there giving a quick sum up of this winter's weather.

AVPageView 11152010 125718 PM-1.jpg
AVPageView 11152010 125718 PM-1.jpg (218.26 KiB) Viewed 1087 times
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW! WHAT A RIDE."- Hunter S Thompson

Re: Insights into Ski Mountaineering

Postby MN teleMARKer » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:14 pm

Any chance of making it to Fort Collins? Looks like a great presentation.

Mark
Wake up every day with a purpose

Postby Jcwhite » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:18 pm

Not sure at this point. This is the only one we have scheduled as of now. But hey...Lafayette is pretty close...
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW! WHAT A RIDE."- Hunter S Thompson

Postby ascent+descent=fun » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:21 pm

Hey JC white, I skied with you at 11 camp, were you the one who forgot to take his skins off?

Postby Jcwhite » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:25 pm

HAHA..no...that was Caleb. Funny.

Postby RoanMtnMan » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:25 pm

ascent+descent=fun wrote:Hey JC white, I skied with you at 11 camp, were you the one who forgot to take his skins off?

Yes, that was Jordan. No, actually that was me. Thanks for reminding me. Good stuff!

Hope some 14ers folks can make it out. I think our plan is to talk about ski mountaineering trips to Russia, Mongolia, Aconcagua, Alaska, and our Mexico adventure from a few weeks ago. At the least we have some rather comical stories.

Caleb
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby Snowgirl » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:30 pm

Bummer! I'm home on the East Coast for the week starting tomorrow! If you make any more front-range presentations, please post! :D
Such things for example as the grasp of a child's hand in your own, the flavor of an apple, the embrace of a friend or lover...sunlight on rock and leaves, the feel of music, the bark of a tree, the abrasion of granite and sand, the plunge of clear water into a pool, the face of the wind--- what else is there? What else do we need?
--Edward Abbey

Postby RoanMtnMan » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:31 pm

Two quick "ski mountaineering insights".

When skiing in Alaska, first remove your skins.

When being chased by banditos (or la policia) in Mexico, do not stop!
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby ascent+descent=fun » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Haha yea that brought a deep-bellied laugh. The snow was good though, at least the messner wasn't trying to kill us down there, too. Congrats on getting the ski in! I would stop by but I live in gunnison ... a bit of a jaunt.

Postby mtnfiend » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:39 pm

Jordan/Caleb - Not sure if you guys are familiar with community night at the bent gate, but you guys should consider giving this talk there as well (if you haven't considered it already). Seems like your presentation would be a great fit with that program!!
Didn't I ever tell you.....Bumble's bounce!!!

Postby Carl » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:49 pm

mtnfiend wrote:Jordan/Caleb - Not sure if you guys are familiar with community night at the bent gate, but you guys should consider giving this talk there as well (if you haven't considered it already). Seems like your presentation would be a great fit with that program!!

+1. That would be sweet. I would come up on Wednesday but Friends of Berthoud Pass has an event at Bent Gate that night. Still want to hear about Denali in person. Caleb, I'll get the ball rolling in that regard again.

Postby Jcwhite » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:50 pm

Sounds good to me. I think Caleb could set that one up pretty easily.

Next