Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Beginner BC Routes

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: Beginner BC Routes

Postby Cruiser » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:01 pm

Drive Hwy 40 towards Winter Park. Pass Empire and go as far as the first switchhback on the climb to Berthoud Pass. Then turn off at the sign for the Henderson Mine. Drive past the mine entrance by going right at the fork. You'll see signs for Butler Gulch and Jones pass and a nice large parking area at the end of the road. Butler is a truly beautiful spot druing the winter.

edit: Cuz I'm kinda slow...
Last edited by Cruiser on Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Where ever you are... There you are.

Postby 2005trek1200 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:24 pm

Eaglevu wrote:Here's my 2/100ths of a dollar, for a newbie XC skier. Stay below treeline, and on gentle slopes.
That is, until you have mastered your skiing technique. Try the nordic centers. like Eldora, Frisco, Breckenridge, & Frasier (Devils Thumb & Snow Mountain). The Montezuma area (E. of Keystone) has good starter terrain, like Peru Ck, Deer Ck, & St.John/Hunkidori Mine. Also, the smaller ski resorts, like Eldora & Ski Cooper are great places to practice your XC downhill skills. You will need it, on the steeper & higher trails.

Just to clarify. i was talking backcountry on an alpine setup. i have very good form and am a very strong skier, who will be running an AT setup for backcountry (Rossi S3s, Barons). Thanks for the suggestions, though.

Postby COBuckeye » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:30 pm

Cruiser,
Thank you very much for the helpful info.
"...cause I got changed by what I've been shown, more glory than the world has known, keeps me ramblin' on..." - Josh Garrels (Farther Along)

Postby Carl » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:49 pm

COBuckeye wrote:
clemsonmtneer wrote:Check out Butler Gulch (near Jones Pass, between Empire and Berthoud Pass). A good, fairly long tour with plenty of nice descent options. I was up there yesterday morning and it was deep!

Can you give more details on how to get there, where to park, etc?

I'll head back there with ya. My wife prefers some other spots with shorter approaches but we usually hit up Butler a few times a year. Shoot me an email about it sometime.

Postby COBuckeye » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:00 pm

Wesley wrote:I'll head back there with ya. My wife prefers some other spots with shorter approaches but we usually hit up Butler a few times a year. Shoot me an email about it sometime.

Sounds good. I'd like to get out on Saturday, but I most likely will opt for the top of Berthoud.
"...cause I got changed by what I've been shown, more glory than the world has known, keeps me ramblin' on..." - Josh Garrels (Farther Along)

Postby Carl » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:09 pm

COBuckeye wrote:
Wesley wrote:I'll head back there with ya. My wife prefers some other spots with shorter approaches but we usually hit up Butler a few times a year. Shoot me an email about it sometime.

Sounds good. I'd like to get out on Saturday, but I most likely will opt for the top of Berthoud.

I think i'm climbing Saturday but please bring back some pics. My early season turns thread needs some stoke http://www.14ers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=27836&p=329292#p329213

Postby EatinHardtack » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:21 pm

Keep the suggestions coming, I was going to post a thread looking for some good meadow skipping areas. Anyone ever needs a partner or two let me know. My friend Steve (split boarder) and I are always looking for new bc partners.
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Postby Alpine » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:29 pm

Cruiser wrote:Drive Hwy 40 towards Winter Park. Pass Empire and go as far as the first switchhback on the climb to Guanella Pass.

Just so someone doesn't get too lost trying to follow these directions, I am sure Cruiser meant to say "Berthoud Pass' not "Guanella Pass".
"You know I've always loved you...and you know I always will." Third Day

Postby COBuckeye » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:19 pm

Alpine,
Thanks for the clarification.

Carl,
Did get out today on the east side of Berthoud, but no pics because I was by myself. Snow coverage is still very good, a little crusty though. Did notice a cohesive slab over a weak layer buried about 12" down, but the aspect angle was so low that there was no issue.

Postby prestone818 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:55 pm

i was on the west side of berthoud today. some spots were 12+" deep but as mentioned crusty and hard snow. quite a few tree tops and rocks sticking out.

^-- immediately to the right of my head there were a few sick lines gong straight down the face. also the flat on the left side had some good lines also.

^---- west side of parking lot

Postby mtn-grown » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:56 am

burnindaylight wrote:Although it may not be useful for early season skinning/skiing when there is minimum snow coverage, Powder Ghosttowns is a great "guide book" for beginning backcountry skiing. The book does a good job of discussing how the given terrain mitigates avalanche risk (as in blue runs are generally less than 30degs and therefore generally not prone to avalanching) so you can choose wisely where you go. Plus it is cool to go see old ski resort areas and learn the history.

Bent Gate probably still has used demo beacons left too ($290 for a Pieps last time I checked).

+1 on Powder Ghost Towns. I just got it a couple weeks ago and its pretty awesome, it details a lot of mellow stuff that would be good starter AT.
I finger cracks.

Postby 2005trek1200 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:46 pm

+1 on Powder Ghost Towns. I just got it a couple weeks ago and its pretty awesome, it details a lot of mellow stuff that would be good starter AT.

for those that dont have the book. and are cheap... here is a roughly 20 page excerpt of the book...

http://bit.ly/bARJF0

PreviousNext