Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Early season turns thread

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: Early season turns thread

Postby skiwall » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:54 am

JakeK wrote:Now, this may inspire jealousy, but I must share the current Wasatch conditions:

Got out for dawn patrols before work on Tuesday and Wednesday. Wednesday was sick. When I skied down at 8:45 or so, the parking lot at Alta was almost full, and there was a steady stream of people heading up the mountain.

I heard it wasn't great yesterday, and today we're likely going to get rain, at least to the base of Snowbird, so it was nice to get out and get some. :D
Attachments
IMG_2956.jpg
IMG_2956.jpg (16.48 KiB) Viewed 1106 times
IMG_2892.jpg
IMG_2892.jpg (11.41 KiB) Viewed 1108 times
"A good woman knows her place is in the backcountry." - PW '08

Postby schrund » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:39 pm

Got in a run down Colorado Mines Peak in Berthoud Pass this morning, not an action shot, but there's enough snow to have fun on! :D
Attachments
IMG_1266.JPG
IMG_1266.JPG (86.13 KiB) Viewed 841 times
We did not think of the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and winding streams... as "wild". Only to the white man was nature a "wilderness".
-Luther Standing Bear, Oglala Chief

Postby Gueza » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:20 pm

Anybody have any beta on St Mary's Glacier and James Peak? Would it be a complete waste if I brought the skis along?
Look at every setback, failure, and time you feel down in your life as a temporary, fixable condition. That is how you never give up and keep moving onwards.

"Never Stop" - AJS

"Be kind, Take care of yourself, and Work Hard" -Steve Gladbach

https://www.youtube.com/user/14erskier

Postby sunny1 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:15 pm

lostsheep5 wrote:Anybody have any beta on St Mary's Glacier and James Peak? Would it be a complete waste if I brought the skis along?

Disclaimer: I'm not a skier.
But I was up James Peak and St Mary's last Saturday. There is continuous snow from the summit of James to the flats/plain up there. By afternoon, it was getting kind of slushy, made for wet glissades! There were a couple of guys up there with skis, didn't see them ski down, but saw their tracks across part of the flats.
With the new snow this week, it shouldn't be a complete waste to bring your skis along.

JamesPeak.jpg
James Peak from the plain above St Mary's Glacier 11/6/10
JamesPeak.jpg (213.2 KiB) Viewed 485 times
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.

Previous