Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Equipment suggestions for backcountry beginners

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: Equipment suggestions for backcountry beginners

Postby llamaman » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:41 am

louguy231 wrote:I have never skied before and really have no desire to do any downhill stuff especially in Colorado. I am a climber and have summited several of the 14ers so I know the terrain is nothing to underestimate or disrespect. I am wanting to cross country ski more for the workout and to get out and away from Denver. I was thinking of doing this either on a trail or on the road leading up from Bakerville. I do not want to break treeline and really just want the workout and to get into the alpine and altitude to train for the coming summer season of climbling. I was wanting some recommendations on skis/boots and if this area that I am talking about is no good do you have an alterative around the Denver area that is not crowded. My ideal place to do this would be a road that is not plowed during winter and has a realtively flat grade. I appreciate any guidance and I will have my shovel,avy beacon and avy lung with me. Not taking any chances just wanting to get out and enjoy the winter.
Thanks,
Shawn

Well I ended up going with a waxless tele/XCD set up. Madshus Epoch (99/68/84) with 3pin cable bindings and leather boots. I made add a pair of Garmont Excursions (plastic boots) later. I think that'll be a good balance between touring and learning to turn. If not, I"ll buy more skis : ) First test run tomorrow.

Shawn--there are a lot of skis/bindings that would work for your purposes. Pretty much anything in the backcountry XC category, 3pin bindings or NNN/SNS bindings, and a stiff fabric or leather boot. Backcountry.com has a wide selection. I'm thinking of upgrading my XC gear and I am most interested in Madshus Glittertind skis. I would use a 3pin binding since I have 3pin leather boots. But a system binding/boot (NNN or SNS) would work well with this ski as well. I got a lot of good info for my research from the websites suggested by dbroudy:

http://home.comcast.net/~pinnah/DirtbagPinner/dirtbag.html
http://www.telemarktalk.com/phpBB/

The telemark site is mostly focused on serious downhill telemark skiing, but there are lot of people and threads there about backcountry XC skiing. Good luck.

Previous