Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Skiing the Colorado Trail

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: Skiing the Colorado Trail

Postby Hacksaw » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:34 pm

Here is a little Colorado ski history from Lou Dawson's website:

1975 Ski traverse from Crested Butte to Steamboat Springs, Colorado, 3 weeks, Bill Frame, Randall Udall, Jerry Roberts. (this is second time this route is done, see Sibley).

1993 Denny Hogan and Randall Udall ski the high line traverse from Silverton to Wolf Creek Colorado, 5 days, 80 miles. U.S.
"True love is much easier to find with a helicopter."

Postby sgladbach » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:43 pm

Gudy Gaskill called today and confirmed that no one has ever reported to the foundation that The Colorado Trail has been completed by anyone in the winter by any mode of travel. (Calendar winter or snow season.)
"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?

Postby its_not_a_tuba » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:01 pm

20 miles a day, day after day with a loaded winter pack sounds very ambitious, especially considering all the miles you would be carrying your sticks hiking in ski boots. But still...
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson

Postby RoanMtnMan » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:34 pm

Pat,

I like where your head is at. This would be a grueling, but rewarding trip. I think Randall Udall and Lou Dawson are the folks to speak with if you are really concerned with the history of such attempts. They have their fingers on such things. Good luck.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby gb » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:23 am

It's interesting that CO skiing has never really been that "into" traverses- there is no High Route like the Sierras or the traverses being done in WA, let alone the haute route in Europe. And yet the terrain and weather is there...

A good ski traverse stays high, IMO, which is why I don't find the CT that intriguing, personally. Wolf Creek to Silverton (mentioned above) sounds better, and it could be even longer. I think a "Sawatch Spine" traverse would work pretty well also. Marble to Leadville springs to mind in the Elks as well.

Just my thoughts... either way I'd love to see some TRs this spring.

Postby SchralpTheGnar » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:06 pm

gb, I think that the reason that these traverses aren't as popular in CO are a result of the high winds that strip the snows on the routes where you would follow a high spine or something like that. Whenever I consider doing some high multi day traverse in the winter I realize that I'll be forced into walking snow free ridges for most of the time, so it ends up just not looking that appealing. Plus I think slogging with a big pack and not skiing pretty much blows.

Postby burnindaylight » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:20 pm

gb, there was a pretty cool article in Skiing last year called the "Hillbilly Haute Route" from Beaver Creek to Eldora...

One thing to note would be the Waterton Canyon closure which has a window in December when the closure is lifted. It is possible to access the trail via Roxborough State Park and only miss a small amount of mileage on the Colorado Trial proper.

http://www.coloradotrail.org/waterton_closure.html

Postby gb » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:58 pm

SchralpTheGnar wrote:gb, I think that the reason that these traverses aren't as popular in CO are a result of the high winds that strip the snows on the routes where you would follow a high spine or something like that. Whenever I consider doing some high multi day traverse in the winter I realize that I'll be forced into walking snow free ridges for most of the time, so it ends up just not looking that appealing. Plus I think slogging with a big pack and not skiing pretty much blows.

The front range gets stripped, but I think traverses would work well elsewhere. The only traverse I've done was in the Elks for a few days and we never walked (April). We were still trying to ski, but yeah, total agreement- big pack slogging blows especially when you could be skiing.

burnin day light, sounds like an interesting article, I'll have to look for it.

Postby Jim Davies » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:10 pm

Two named traverses that I've heard about: the Trooper Traverse (Camp Hale to Aspen) and the Elk Mountain Grand Traverse race (Crested Butte to Aspen).
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Previous