Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Skiing the Colorado Trail

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Skiing the Colorado Trail

Postby ascent+descent=fun » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:12 pm

Hey Im just curious how many people, if anyone, have done a winter ski-traverse of the complete colorado trail. Figured someone here might have information regarding this.

Thanks,
Pat

Re: Skiing the Colorado Trail

Postby Bean » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:46 am

I have no information on this ever having been done, but I like the idea. A lot.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby Snowgirl » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:37 am

Oooh. That would be awesome.
Such things for example as the grasp of a child's hand in your own, the flavor of an apple, the embrace of a friend or lover...sunlight on rock and leaves, the feel of music, the bark of a tree, the abrasion of granite and sand, the plunge of clear water into a pool, the face of the wind--- what else is there? What else do we need?
--Edward Abbey

Postby Brian C » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:44 am

I have wondered this too. That would be quite an accomplishment.
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth

Postby sgladbach » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:25 am

I guided for the foundation for ten years and sat on the board for 5 more. Nobody has ever reported this feat to the foundation. I have a call in to Gudy Gaskill to see if she knows something that I don't.

Steve
Last edited by sgladbach on Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?

Postby ascent+descent=fun » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:51 am

Very cool, thanks guys. I am toying around with the idea of attempting this, but the logistics are daunting at best.

Postby Bean » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:00 pm

Your post has me kicking this idea around now (doesn't help that things get boring at work at 2:30am), and food and fuel seem like the biggest concerns. Certainly a daunting trip to plan, but could be worth it.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby ap snow » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:55 pm

Pretty sure this has already been done. Good luck!

Postby ascent+descent=fun » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:01 pm

Do you know where I can find out for sure? I only have 25 days so im thinking about 20 miles per day should do it.

Postby gb » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:35 pm

I can only picture lots of dry zones requiring walking and a lot of sidehilling if you try to really stay on course. But mostly I would find it hard to pass all the great lines you'd be sure to pass on the trail. Still a worthwhile goal, just not for me...

Postby GravityPilot » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:57 pm

The way I've been thinking about it, is that one would loosely follow the trail. There will be areas that are of too much risk depending on time of day and the snow pack. The feat of "skiing the Colorado trail" would require a fine sense of snow pack forecasting/route finding. The logistics would be intense, but managable given the right support staff. Ski touring and route finding can be easy, but after multiple 20 mile days, your brain doesn't fire on all cylinders. So the real question is: need a partner?

Postby TomPierce » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:06 pm

You may hit it lucky with your timing, or it could be an atypical year, but generally the Front Range snow pack up to Kenosha Pass is pretty spotty lately during the winter. I'd be surprised if you could ski non-stop through the Waterton/South Platte area unless, again, it was unusual conditions. I don't mean to rain on the parade, your goal is very cool, but I run in that area frequently in the winter and the snowpack is occasionally very thin or melted out during the mid-winter thaws. But who knows?

Good luck!
-Tom

Next